Tory leadership front runners

Started by srb7677, July 12, 2022, 12:22:18 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on July 22, 2022, 11:04:57 AM
I can't say that I am a particular fan of any of them. But Starmer really is a graceless hog and Truss has been a Brexiter longer than Sir Stodge. And Truss wants to cut taxes so I feel slightly less repulsed by the Tories than the Brothers and Sisters.
The Tories have started to climb back in the polls. Not by much, 32% to Labour's 41%. Still, it is better than it was.
I could be wrong but I doubt there will be a major upswing in Tory fortunes in the polls until the leadership is decided.

Then it will depend upon how credible the leader appears, how popular his or her direction is combined with how credible that looks, how much of a clean break from Boris he or she appears to be, and how good a conference he or she has.

It is possible the Tories may enjoy a poll bounce when the new leader is decided.

It is certainly difficult to see what Sir Wet Lettuce is offering as an alternative. His only consistent policy thus far appears to have been not being Boris. The new Tory leader will now steal that policy, leaving the question what is sir Wet Lettuce for?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on July 22, 2022, 08:31:35 AM
No mention of your long lost EU rights.
Here's one for you

Your Govt changed the law so that employers can employee temporary staff to fill positions of striking employees. And this is from the man that was preaching to P&O ferries not so long ago.

https://twitter.com/KwasiKwarteng/status/1550081224890351617?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1550081224890351617%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fdiscussion%2F2058058007%2Fgeneral-british-politics-discussion-thread%2Fp192

Is this a benefit of brexit, the chipping away of workers rights begins.

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on July 21, 2022, 07:30:07 PM
All we are saying, is, give peace Elizabeth a chance. People do sometimes rise to the occasion and become a better person.
Not that I'm a massive fan of the Tories any more. They've defecated all over us.
I can't say that I am a particular fan of any of them. But Starmer really is a graceless hog and Truss has been a Brexiter longer than Sir Stodge. And Truss wants to cut taxes so I feel slightly less repulsed by the Tories than the Brothers and Sisters.
The Tories have started to climb back in the polls. Not by much, 32% to Labour's 41%. Still, it is better than it was.
Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: HDQQ on July 21, 2022, 07:08:04 PM
It look like Liz Truss has a runaway lead in the race to be PM.

I have a habit of damning people with faint praise. So, in her favour I'll say that she's got a 55% chance of being a better prime minister than Boris Johnson.
She has better odds than that, Johnson was the worst ever, in any country. If you fell over you would still go over that bar.

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on July 21, 2022, 06:55:06 PM
But Gerry, we need Elizabeth just as much as you need Michael D. Higgins as president. :)
Agh, I've no real issue with traditions like that. I don't agree with the idea of royalty, one person being better than the other because of birth, but the royal family do attract a lot of tourism to the UK. I wonder how poor Andrew is doing in all that hot weather, poor chap unable to sweat

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on July 21, 2022, 06:16:40 PM
Liberal democrat votes most likely, they have lost the populist vote. We were much too clever for them anyway.
Can't be that clever if you're switching to vote for Truss 

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on July 21, 2022, 07:04:02 PM
We all know the EU is not a sovereign state and is never likely to be one.  It's a co-operative body set up by the states that were members at the various stages of its evolution.  EU citizenship is a real thing that exists by consent of the member states.  You can argue all you like that there's no such thing as EU citizenship but that doesn't mean you're right.  It's a bit like saying that Monmouthshire is part of England when it's actually part of Wales and is likely to remain that way.
No mention of your long lost EU rights.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: HDQQ on July 21, 2022, 07:08:04 PM

I have a habit of damning people with faint praise. So, in her favour I'll say that she's got a 55% chance of being a better prime minister than Boris Johnson.
All we are saying, is, give peace Elizabeth a chance. People do sometimes rise to the occasion and become a better person.
Not that I'm a massive fan of the Tories any more. They've defecated all over us.
† The end is nigh †

HDQQ

Quote from: GerryT on July 21, 2022, 01:50:20 PM
I can't believe people on here are actually considering Truss as someone that could do the Job. Jesus the Tory party is in a bad way.
Sunak looks like he could, he didn't cause brexit but isn't taxes necessary to generate revenue, not very popular but isn't this what people voted for, regain sovereignty above everything else, taxes as it seems.
You could vote in Truss, who's promising sweeties for all the children (sounds familiar....a outgoing liar ?) and as soon as she's in...BOOM... raise taxes, probably in a round about way.

I have a habit of damning people with faint praise. So, in her favour I'll say that she's got a 55% chance of being a better prime minister than Boris Johnson. 
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

HDQQ

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 21, 2022, 04:32:32 PM
Ok I'm going to stick my oar in

HDQQ has for years bewailed the loss of "EU citizenship" which is of course a piece of flannel, a hogwash because there is no such thing as a sovereign state called the European Union and until there is (which please god I never live to see) there can be no "citizenship" if such. The term is misused by fundamentalist federationists to warp the citizenship of a sovereign state that signed up to the EU's bullshittery into something it isn't.

There is no labour shortage

There is a glut of idle bastards and a glut of businessmen keen not to pay a decent rate for the job.
We all know the EU is not a sovereign state and is never likely to be one.  It's a co-operative body set up by the states that were members at the various stages of its evolution.  EU citizenship is a real thing that exists by consent of the member states.  You can argue all you like that there's no such thing as EU citizenship but that doesn't mean you're right.  It's a bit like saying that Monmouthshire is part of England when it's actually part of Wales and is likely to remain that way.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

I can't believe people on here are actually considering Truss as someone that could do the Job. Jesus the Tory party is in a bad way.
Sunak looks like he could, he didn't cause brexit but isn't taxes necessary to generate revenue, not very popular but isn't this what people voted for, regain sovereignty above everything else, taxes as it seems.
You could vote in Truss, who's promising sweeties for all the children (sounds familiar....a outgoing liar ?) and as soon as she's in...BOOM... raise taxes, probably in a round about way.
But Gerry, we need Elizabeth just as much as you need Michael D. Higgins as president. :)
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Liberal democrat votes most likely, they have lost the populist vote. We were much too clever for them anyway.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 21, 2022, 04:32:32 PM

HDQQ has for years bewailed the loss of "EU citizenship" which is of course a piece of flannel, a hogwash because there is no such thing as a sovereign state called the European Union and until there is (which please god I never live to see) there can be no "citizenship" if such. The term is misused by fundamentalist federationists to warp the citizenship of a sovereign state that signed up to the EU's bullshittery into something it isn't.

Almost  anyone can claim the fake identity  if they really wanted to , I dont know what they are moaning about 

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on July 21, 2022, 01:44:56 PM
What rights have you lost Ducky that you ever in your life used?
The labour shortage is global, I'm fairly sure I've pointed this out on many occasions, from Asia to the USA the situation is the same. What EU regulations do we HAVE to follow?

There is no labour shortage

There is a glut of idle bastards and a glut of businessmen keen not to pay a decent rate for the job.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

GerryT

Sunak looks like he could, he didn't cause brexit but isn't taxes necessary to generate revenue, not very popular but isn't this what people voted for, regain sovereignty above everything else, taxes as it seems.