Barry

Kemi Badenoch - 59 OUT
Penny Mordaunt - 92
Rishi Sunak - 118
Liz Truss - 86
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on July 18, 2022, 09:43:06 PM
The candidates have decided to pull out of the next TV debates, running scared of the public it seems to me.
More like the conservatives have decided fighting like rats in a sack is best done behind closed doors . The public have nothing to do with the leadership race and a reason why I haven't bothered watching any of it .

srb7677

The candidates have decided to pull out of the next TV debates, running scared of the public it seems to me.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on July 18, 2022, 08:31:51 PM
115 | Sunak
82 | Mordaunt
71 | Truss
58 | Badenoch
31 | Tugendhat OUT
Listening to Starmer today and he was vicious, I wonder if Rishi is PM whether they would again labour (forgive the pun) the fact that he has also been fined for partygate. It has been a repetitive jibe now for months - surely Rishi is open to similar.

Barry

115 | Sunak
82 | Mordaunt
71 | Truss
58 | Badenoch
31 | Tugendhat OUT
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Good old on July 18, 2022, 02:06:45 PM
I would like it if these types  of  so called debate were done away with. They are just another example of the media, manipulating the politicians, and the politics.
The questions in general, the questions to individuals , can all be made to fit a point of view or an individual , the timing can be all important,. I believe Richie benefited from that last night, extending his time, on a number of issues.
Just another tool for the media, to manipulate us and we don't need it.
I agree. Certainly the presenter - or should we call her the referee - tried to shut Rishi up on several occasions but he simply carried on. He really annoyed me with his overbearing attitude where the others were generally much more polite. I thought the whole thing an embarrassment.

Good old

I would like it if these types  of  so called debate were done away with. They are just another example of the media, manipulating the politicians, and the politics.
The questions in general, the questions to individuals , can all be made to fit a point of view or an individual , the timing can be all important,. I believe Richie benefited from that last night, extending his time, on a number of issues.
Just another tool for the media, to manipulate us and we don't need it.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on July 18, 2022, 12:33:18 PM
Last night's debate for the remaining competitors did no-one any favours. Engineered to be combative with the resulting caddish behaviour of Sunak who resembled an over eager salesman short of his monthly target, I see this morning that both he and Truss have withdrawn, thus Sky have cancelled their's.

I see no benefit from these awful contrived programmes. We are told that it is for our benefit as viewers but in fact it seems designed to make those on parade create soundbites that fit into their 20 second slots for each person in the hope that a slanging match will ensue. Hopefully when the Media try to resurrect them for the GE all politicians will tell them where to stick them.

It is for the politicians and media. As long as the former are on the TV and latter have programmes to show, they are happy.

The rest of made up our minds long ago.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Last night's debate for the remaining competitors did no-one any favours. Engineered to be combative with the resulting caddish behaviour of Sunak who resembled an over eager salesman short of his monthly target, I see this morning that both he and Truss have withdrawn, thus Sky have cancelled their's.

I see no benefit from these awful contrived programmes. We are told that it is for our benefit as viewers but in fact it seems designed to make those on parade create soundbites that fit into their 20 second slots for each person in the hope that a slanging match will ensue. Hopefully when the Media try to resurrect them for the GE all politicians will tell them where to stick them.

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on July 14, 2022, 07:05:34 PM
Someone I was listening to made the point that no-one really streaked ahead between the 2 votes. They all gained similar numbers. It will be interesting to see how the votes divide and I wouldn't put it past some to change allegiances. It just could end up with an all female end game.

Comparing Sunak, Truss, and Mordaunt - actually Truss has the 

As to be expected Mordaunt, was worked over pretty well by a team effort from Sunak, and Badenoch and a little help from Truss, on the  trans issue. Bit unfair in the presentation quiet honestly, how could she defend against that ? Whilst no one else was the victim of her own shite throwing as there was none, so a double whammy set up nicely by the line of question.
it would seem Mordaunt wasn't  liked by Boris, and the gang, when he was in power, and she sure as hell aint liked by the gang now.

T00ts

After last night's 'debate' on Ch4 which I only saw a snippet of as I had to pop out, there is talk of Tugendhat winning hands down. He was apparently honest - 'Is Boris honest?' the only one to answer 'No', and was generally likeable, but I am reminded of Nick Clegg's first TV debate and how with his clear use of presentation skills left everyone else standing and ended up with him alongside Cameron in the rose garden. From there a veritable disaster and now on the dark side with FB. 

The 3 favourites are currently worrying me a fair bit. Truss a passion free robot, Rishi a desperate car salesman, and too many allegations of incompetency against Penny.  The opposition benches are definitely beckoning.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on July 14, 2022, 07:05:34 PM
Someone I was listening to made the point that no-one really streaked ahead between the 2 votes. They all gained similar numbers. 

I suspect it will depend quite heavily on who TT (whose campaign logo REALLY needed a trusted friend to review before he used it) decides to throw his weight behind when he bows out 

There is a time to put yourself forward and a time to realise that you are now just hindering the progression of putting the choice to the wider party. For him, that time has come.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Good old on July 14, 2022, 06:57:47 PM
Listening to them today, you are not the only one regarding Mordaunt. You don't say why, but her opponents and their backers, are making it clear by the day that her problem for them is , unlike them , she was  not a Boris, arse licker. That being the main reason they can claim she has a lack of experience, because he didn't fancy using her experience.
She is clearly not wanted by those that supported Boris, until the end, which even Richie,did in the main, and Truss certainly did. And they want business by and large as normal, which performance wise is not promising. It would be no surprise if Mordaunt got squeezed out here. Which would be laughable going by the U gov polls if she was the one the party membership actually wanted but were not even offered.
Someone I was listening to made the point that no-one really streaked ahead between the 2 votes. They all gained similar numbers. It will be interesting to see how the votes divide and I wouldn't put it past some to change allegiances. It just could end up with an all female end game.

Comparing Sunak, Truss, and Mordaunt - actually Truss has the most Ministerial experience.

Good old

Quote from: Barry on July 14, 2022, 04:34:10 PM
Down to 5 now
Rishi 101
Mordaunt 83
Truss 64
Badenoch 49
Tugendhat 32
Braverman 27  is OUT

Tugendhat says he is stopping in the race, which probably means he'll be out tomorrow.

I reckon if it comes down to Rishi v Penny, she will easily win. But I have serious doubts about her.
Listening to them today, you are not the only one regarding Mordaunt. You don't say why, but her opponents and their backers, are making it clear by the day that her problem for them is , unlike them , she was  not a Boris, arse licker. That being the main reason they can claim she has a lack of experience, because he didn't fancy using her experience.
She is clearly not wanted by those that supported Boris, until the end, which even Richie,did in the main, and Truss certainly did. And they want business by and large as normal, which performance wise is not promising. It would be no surprise if Mordaunt got squeezed out here. Which would be laughable going by the U gov polls if she was the one the party membership actually wanted but were not even offered.