7 8 shut the gate!

Started by T00ts, July 12, 2022, 06:58:33 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Sheepy on July 14, 2022, 05:03:54 PM
Why do I get the feeling 3-4 will be a knock at the door?
Well done - you get the prize!  Dancing

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on July 14, 2022, 04:53:55 PM
4 5 duck and dive seems appropriate.

Why do I get the feeling 3-4 will be a knock at the door?
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

4 5 duck and dive seems appropriate.

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on July 14, 2022, 04:34:10 PM
Down to 5 now
Rishi 101
Mordaunt 83
Truss 64
Badenoch 49
Tugendhat 32
Braverman 27  is OUT

Tugendhat says he is stopping in the race, which probably means he'll be out tomorrow.

I reckon if it comes down to Rishi v Penny, she will easily win. But I have serious doubts about her.
I always smile and walk away every time politicians start asking about policies, because for sure they going to next tell you what you want to hear which will never happen, unless of course you have a way of forcing their hand.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

Down to 5 now
Rishi 101
Mordaunt 83
Truss 64
Badenoch 49
Tugendhat 32
Braverman 27  is OUT

Tugendhat says he is stopping in the race, which probably means he'll be out tomorrow.

I reckon if it comes down to Rishi v Penny, she will easily win. But I have serious doubts about her.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

5 6 pick up sticks - Perhaps that should be more about clutching at straws! They are talking about a reset both in and outside Westminster. Let's see. Will any one drop out before the vote tomorrow? Or do they all want their 15 minutes?

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on July 13, 2022, 05:06:48 PM
First round:

Kemi Badenoch - 40
Suella Braverman - 32
Jeremy Hunt - 18 - OUT
Penny Mordaunt - 67
Rishi Sunak - 88
Liz Truss - 50
Tom Tugendhat - 37
Nadhim Zahawi - 25 - OUT

Sky News showed a poll of (891) Tory party members asking who they would prefer...

Penny Maudamt is streets ahead, rishi the tax cheat's other half is fourth....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

First round:

Kemi Badenoch - 40
Suella Braverman - 32
Jeremy Hunt - 18 - OUT
Penny Mordaunt - 67
Rishi Sunak - 88
Liz Truss - 50
Tom Tugendhat - 37
Nadhim Zahawi - 25 - OUT

† The end is nigh †

Good old

Quote from: srb7677 on July 13, 2022, 12:41:57 PM
Having looked into her statement this morning it is the usual mantra - low tax, small state, personal responsibility - which will play well with the rank and file. Trouble is many of these things are code for austerity, welfare cuts, departmental cuts, less help for people.

But I suppose these are Tories after all. Spaffwaffle's willingness to splurge money was always something of an aberration in the party.

The low tax, small state, personal responsibility mantra is the exact opposite of the nordic model I favour.

But then, I have always been the opposite of a Tory.

Agree with you there Steve. She will not deliver anything they have never tried before. And the state of play her own party has created  over twelve years, makes it hard to see anything other than something radical actually turning things right around.
My assessment for what it's worth was on her personally . and her possible  ability to sell  what I believe to be a poor product ,
Come another election ,as she also believes , she might be  a better bet for the Tories than any of the others.
I can't claim to have always been the complete opposite to a Tory,  but that doesn't mean I'm a complete opposite to many of those that would say they are.

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on July 13, 2022, 12:31:51 PM
To be fair I don't know enough about her or where she stands to be able to either agree or disagree with that.

I need to research her if she emerges as a definite front runner.

But the Tories need someone who does not bullshite, can credibly offer a clean break and is solid without being too much of a right wing head banger. If she is those things and can also speak and articulate well, Starmer's lead which is built on very little beyond not being Boris will quickly evaporate unless he can come up with credible and popular transormative policies. Sadly, I doubt those in charge of Labour actually aspire to transformative change but are more interested in polishing the turd that is the economic status quo. Which means they will be toast in the face of a credible and reinvented Tory party under a credible and convincing leader.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Mordaunt

Entered parliament for North Portsmouth, a Naval reservist who seems to have spent most of her time on a shore base. Ah well, I know the brig there intimately.

She was Defence minister for a while and Women's Minister too.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

Having looked into her statement this morning it is the usual mantra - low tax, small state, personal responsibility - which will play well with the rank and file. Trouble is many of these things are code for austerity, welfare cuts, departmental cuts, less help for people.

But I suppose these are Tories after all. Spaffwaffle's willingness to splurge money was always something of an aberration in the party.

The low tax, small state, personal responsibility mantra is the exact opposite of the nordic model I favour.

But then, I have always been the opposite of a Tory.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: Good old on July 13, 2022, 11:56:34 AM
Watched Penny Mordaunt, this morning. They all talk a good game, and aspirations are one thing , ever achieving  all together different.
But at this time of great difficulty she comes across as pretty solid. Not a dispenser of a bulls waste products.
And one claim she made, struck me as particularly true was ,she is the one Labour fear. They should, her ideas could steady the Tory ship enough to get it back in the game.
To be fair I don't know enough about her or where she stands to be able to either agree or disagree with that.

I need to research her if she emerges as a definite front runner.

But the Tories need someone who does not bullshite, can credibly offer a clean break and is solid without being too much of a right wing head banger. If she is those things and can also speak and articulate well, Starmer's lead which is built on very little beyond not being Boris will quickly evaporate unless he can come up with credible and popular transormative policies. Sadly, I doubt those in charge of Labour actually aspire to transformative change but are more interested in polishing the turd that is the economic status quo. Which means they will be toast in the face of a credible and reinvented Tory party under a credible and convincing leader.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on July 13, 2022, 11:44:51 AM
Looking at the squabbles and back-biting that is going on I fear that alliances are being made based not on the worth of each candidate but on prospective jobs. I suppose it is to be expected - no-one likes to lose their jobs and no doubt many would want something higher paid and important. I just wish they would operate at a higher level.

Watched Penny Mordaunt, this morning. They all talk a good game, and aspirations are one thing , ever achieving  all together different.
But at this time of great difficulty she comes across as pretty solid. Not a dispenser of a bulls waste products.
And one claim she made, struck me as particularly true was ,she is the one Labour fear. They should, her ideas could steady the Tory ship enough to get it back in the game.

T00ts

Looking at the squabbles and back-biting that is going on I fear that alliances are being made based not on the worth of each candidate but on prospective jobs. I suppose it is to be expected - no-one likes to lose their jobs and no doubt many would want something higher paid and important. I just wish they would operate at a higher level.

T00ts

Not surprised at the remaining 8 except possibly for Javid. What worries me now is the shenanigans going on to get the votes. Hunt was border line until the last minute and the story is that Sunak's team wangled the numbers to get him in because they think, if he were the 2nd remaining candidate, then Sunak would win hands down. This whole debacle will do more damage to the Conservative Party and what a complete waste. Still on the bright side if Labour get back in it will give those crying into their beer and those too young too know much other than what the 'Education system' has taught them, will see just how bad it can really get. :P :-*