It's gonna be too hot!

Started by T00ts, July 15, 2022, 03:37:00 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on July 19, 2022, 08:47:36 AM
Apparently it is the hottest day since the last hottest day.
Your right borky , for every hottest day there should be a 'since' after it . 

Since records began
Since the medieval warm period 
Since the Roman warm period when they were significantly higher 
Since governments around the world dont admit  that we are coming out of a mini ice age and that temperatures though rising are getting back to somewhere near normal 8)  Doing that would scupper their agenda  to increase taxes on the basis of green energy ,global warming and the climate change lobby .

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on July 19, 2022, 08:47:36 AM
Well we had the hottest days on record in Wales and Cornwall yesterday. The temperature in excess of 36 c at Bude in Cornwall yesterday, beat the record temperature last set in 1976.

And Cornwall being a county surrounded north, south, and west by the sea is often one of the cooler counties this time of year, though frequently the mildest in winter.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

My supermarket workplace was designed to be "eco-friendly" rather than with optimum functionality in mind. Amongst other things it has a tin roof. On hot sunny days it gets stupidly hot inside. Yesterday, whilst the outside temperature hit 34 c, the temp inside the store was 27 c. The air conditioning is just not up to the task of keeping a building with a tin roof cool.

Of course, our fridges and freezers could not cope with such high ambient temperatures. The fridges are not supposed to get any warmer than 5 c maximum. Yesterday they hit 13 c, whilst the freezer temperatures rose above freezing. For legal and food safety reasons we had to throw all our chilled and frozen food away. A total waste.

My job yesterday was supposed to be out in the car park collecting trolleys, but the heat out there in the afternoon was so intense that we were restricted to going out in relays doing just 20 mins at a time outside. As someone who became ill with heatstroke last year during a hot spell, when if anything yesterday was even hotter, I have to be careful. My employer doesnt pay me enough to make myself unwell for them. And in fairness to my employer, after going ill last year they have been far more wary of exposing anyone to excessive heat for too long.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on July 19, 2022, 08:42:04 AM
Today is apparently going to be the hottest day in the history of this country, it might be a bit warm but the hottest in history?

The history of this country is long,the history of compiling temperatures is relatively short.......around 170 years......technically they maybe correct,factually they are talking cobblers.

Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Today is apparently going to be the hottest day in the history of this country, it might be a bit warm but the hottest in history?

The history of this country is long,the history of compiling temperatures is relatively short.......around 170 years......technically they maybe correct,factually they are talking cobblers.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on July 15, 2022, 03:37:00 PM
Well the more I see and hear the more I am tempted to just stay in bed and give the whole thing a miss. Suggestions that I have noted -
The elderly should be carefully watched with their feet in the paddling pool or bowl of water with temps taken regularly.
Schools advise don't turn up or collect at 1pm because schools will be too hot.
Don't drive the car because the tarmac will melt and anyway the steering wheel will burn hands
Don't travel by train because the rails will bend
Lie dogs on damp towels
Exercise only in the early morning or late
Hairdressers are cancelling appts  and the most shocking for a girl like me?
Go commando! The mind boggles!  ???

I want to extend my lease but my solicitor has just cancelled our appointment because of the heat.

A lawyer who refuses a fee. Meshugganah ! The weather is really getting serious
Algerie Francais !

Scott777

Quote from: Nick on July 18, 2022, 05:55:58 PM
You don't get humidity at 37 degrees north? This line runs through the USA, China and Japan to mention a few, what are you talking about? I lived in Charlotte NC for 5 years and we used to get ice storms where the blades of grass would be 1/4 inch thick due to the humidity freezing.

Obviously with regards to humidity in hot weather, that being the subject.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Nick

Quote from: Scott777 on July 15, 2022, 04:48:34 PM
Obviously I'm not into the global warming scam, but humidity is what gets to people, which you don't get at 37 degs north.  Even so, 40 degs in UK is not that much more than the 35 degs recorded in 1900, 20th July, Cambridge.  I would expect fluctuations, and who knows, it may have been hotter before 1900.
You don't get humidity at 37 degrees north? This line runs through the USA, China and Japan to mention a few, what are you talking about? I lived in Charlotte NC for 5 years and we used to get ice storms where the blades of grass would be 1/4 inch thick due to the humidity freezing. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Im not going to be working in it thats for sure , or doing much else . I will enjoy it though , a gentle potter around the garden maybe give the Koi pond a clean up and of course a few cold beers in the shade .

Im in this beer club where they send you a dozen or so samples of craft beers every month . Just had a box of scottish produced stuff for the  american market ,bizzar or what ?

Enjoy 

Scott777

Quote from: Barry on July 15, 2022, 04:01:13 PM
For 17 years I lived at 37 degrees North and regularly had temps over 40C. (Highest was 45C 113F)
I have a new fan, because the second hand one gave up the ghost. I have lots of cold drinks and ice cubes. I might sweat a bit, but I'll cope.

Obviously I'm not into the global warming scam, but humidity is what gets to people, which you don't get at 37 degs north.  Even so, 40 degs in UK is not that much more than the 35 degs recorded in 1900, 20th July, Cambridge.  I would expect fluctuations, and who knows, it may have been hotter before 1900.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Barry

For 17 years I lived at 37 degrees North and regularly had temps over 40C. (Highest was 45C 113F)
I have a new fan, because the second hand one gave up the ghost. I have lots of cold drinks and ice cubes. I might sweat a bit, but I'll cope.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Well the more I see and hear the more I am tempted to just stay in bed and give the whole thing a miss. Suggestions that I have noted - 
The elderly should be carefully watched with their feet in the paddling pool or bowl of water with temps taken regularly. 
Schools advise don't turn up or collect at 1pm because schools will be too hot.
Don't drive the car because the tarmac will melt and anyway the steering wheel will burn hands
Don't travel by train because the rails will bend
Lie dogs on damp towels
Exercise only in the early morning or late
Hairdressers are cancelling appts  and the most shocking for a girl like me?
Go commando! The mind boggles!  ???