It's gonna be too hot!

Started by T00ts, July 15, 2022, 03:37:00 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: Sean on July 19, 2022, 02:39:57 PM
Coningsby Royal Air Force base in Lincolnshire has hit 40C . Northolt and Kew gardens both at 39.5c as at 2 pm. This is why we need a change of government and priorities to fight the man made warming of our planet. Only Keir and the Labour party can deliver that Green change our country so needs.
If you are really that convinced you should be protesting outside the Chineese embassy . Starmer will do no more than pay carbon taxes to Brussels 

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on July 19, 2022, 01:38:40 PM
The science is basic and it's been known about for years. Naturally, air contains a tiny proportion of carbon dioxide which varies a little over time and place. Burning fossil fuels adds slightly to that tiny proportion but because CO2 is a powerful greenhouse gas it would tend to increase temperatures. Adding CO2 to air means it can absorb more heat and retain it for longer. If air heats up, it can also absorb more water vapour, which is also a greenhouse gas, so adding to the warming effect.
Some have said in the past that CO2 is not the driver of heat but a by product of it . Im yet to be convinced how much we have got to do with it though Im all for clean air and less polution . Trying to frighten people into believing is a well worn path since Moses came down the mountian so I'll remain a sceptic until science proves otherwise . (which it hasnt regardless of  some paid for scientists saying so )
We do benefit from having the natural level of CO2 - its greenhouse effect is what's keeping us out of an ice age.
Thats good then ?

The graph of annual global temperature rises coincides very closely with the global rise in CO2 emissions. What's happening is exactly what the scientists have been predicting for decades.
Well some have others not so sure . But as I refered earlier ,we are coming out of a mini ice age so it follows that temperatures will rise as part of the natural cycle of the planet . Take your graph back 2000 years and its more of less what we would expect to see 

40.2C now reported at Heathrow.  Planes taking off - lots of CO2 emissions - minimal wind - localised additional greenhouse effect around Heathrow?
Same can be said for Charlwood which is closer to the end of Gatwick runway than the south terminal 

So its hot , record temps are man made in that they are taken at urban hot spots and international airports  and the world is in a naturally warming up cycle .  
Not to mention the weather is playing games with my pond . The amount of algea that appeared a month ago was a sure sign of high temperatures to come and it will get hotter , we haven't had flying ant day yet , those little buggers know when its really hot 

Sean

Coningsby Royal Air Force base in Lincolnshire has hit 40C . Northolt and Kew gardens both at 39.5c as at 2 pm. This is why we need a change of government and priorities to fight the man made warming of our planet. Only Keir and the Labour party can deliver that Green change our country so needs.

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 19, 2022, 02:13:23 PM
And that's summer over...

The map shows where lightning strikes were recently recorded
Oh good that's what my headache needs.

johnofgwent

And that's summer over...

The map shows where lightning strikes were recently recorded 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

40.2C now reported at Heathrow.  Planes taking off - lots of CO2 emissions - minimal wind - localised additional greenhouse effect around Heathrow?
TARMAC
† The end is nigh †

HDQQ

Quote from: Borchester on July 19, 2022, 12:53:36 PM

Thanks John.

I have always suspected that Climate Change is more of a religion than a science. I also know that if you start with a prejudice you tend to end up proving it. Still, I will start sniffing around

:):)
The science is basic and it's been known about for years. Naturally, air contains a tiny proportion of carbon dioxide which varies a little over time and place. Burning fossil fuels adds slightly to that tiny proportion but because CO2 is a powerful greenhouse gas it would tend to increase temperatures. Adding CO2 to air means it can absorb more heat and retain it for longer. If air heats up, it can also absorb more water vapour, which is also a greenhouse gas, so adding to the warming effect.

We do benefit from having the natural level of CO2 - its greenhouse effect is what's keeping us out of an ice age. 

The graph of annual global temperature rises coincides very closely with the global rise in CO2 emissions. What's happening is exactly what the scientists have been predicting for decades.

40.2C now reported at Heathrow.  Planes taking off - lots of CO2 emissions - minimal wind - localised additional greenhouse effect around Heathrow?
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 19, 2022, 10:28:15 AM
Yet at no time did the incident solar radiation exceed 650 watts per square metre here at 51 deg north.

That was the max in 79 three years after the drought of 76 but that was caused by prolonged time not extreme heat.

So as was explained by the met office, far from being a matter of letting extra sunlight in, the heat is caused by a spinning wind system in the sea over the Algarve pushing sub Saharan heat north. The wind system is heading up the North sea and tomorrow is forecast to chuck cold air down over us as it proceeds east.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Blizzards expected friday

Thanks John.

I have always suspected that Climate Change is more of a religion than a science. I also know that if you start with a prejudice you tend to end up proving it. Still, I will start sniffing around

:):)
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on July 19, 2022, 11:24:26 AM
Foreign sods. Lucky we have Brexit to shield us from the worst of it.

I might look into this global warming lark. It sounds interesting. Where should I start John?

The only really relevant bit for the current conditions is the Jetstream that broke off and moved over the bay of Biscay spinning anticlockwise and thus pumping the hot air from the North African coast and Spain over Holland Belgium France and Eastern England.

As Nick will doubtless have fun explaining if he pops in here several climate change mathematical models are about as useful as a chocolate ashtray. But you're into maths yourself I thought ?? so explaining statistics and trends and the possible errors in such would i think be like me teaching grandad to suck an egg you already know the issues.

My youngest learned a lot about the facts of weather and how it works while doing her A level geography. I don't think the subject really have her a hand with her career but it was rather interesting, regardless.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on July 19, 2022, 11:56:36 AM
Yes just been in tescos and it was warm,I think whoever does the pricing this hot weather has fried their brains....British strawberries 200 grams for £2 or if you have a club card 2x200 grams for £3 sounds good? erm no next display British strawberries 600 grams for £3 no club card needed.

You need eyes in your backside and a brain cos this type of pricing is common,yes I know I'm an an anorak and tight fisted too..
We have had in the past circumstances where exactly the same brand of cheese in two pack sizes had the larger size only on offer. This resulted in the larger size being cheaper than the smaller of exactly the same brand. So of course no one bought the smaller size until it reached it's use by date when the price was reduced. After all why would you pay more for less of exactly the same product? And so much of it was being reduced every day because none of it was selling that we couldnt sell it all and were throwing half of it away.

I sometimes suspect that those responsible for pricing have cabbages where their brains should be.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

Quote from: HDQQ on July 19, 2022, 12:01:02 PM

STOP PRESS . . .  The temperature record has just been broken - 39.1 in Charlwood, Surrey and that's before mid-day!
That, of course, will have to be confirmed by the Met Office, but may well be a new record.
† The end is nigh †

HDQQ

Well, yesterday didn't beat the UK temperature record but it came close, in fact it was the third hottest day ever recorded in UK.  Last night recorded the highest night-time minimum, nearly 2 degrees hotter than the previous record. It looks like we could beat the record and possibly exceed 40C today though, the way temperatures have risen so far today.

One 'freak weather event' on its own isn't proof of global warming but if it conforms to the pattern predicted by scientists, then it adds to the evidence.

STOP PRESS . . .  The temperature record has just been broken - 39.1 in Charlwood, Surrey and that's before mid-day!
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on July 19, 2022, 09:28:06 AM
My supermarket workplace was designed to be "eco-friendly" rather than with optimum functionality in mind. Amongst other things it has a tin roof. On hot sunny days it gets stupidly hot inside. Yesterday, whilst the outside temperature hit 34 c, the temp inside the store was 27 c. The air conditioning is just not up to the task of keeping a building with a tin roof cool.

Of course, our fridges and freezers could not cope with such high ambient temperatures. The fridges are not supposed to get any warmer than 5 c maximum. Yesterday they hit 13 c, whilst the freezer temperatures rose above freezing. For legal and food safety reasons we had to throw all our chilled and frozen food away. A total waste.

My job yesterday was supposed to be out in the car park collecting trolleys, but the heat out there in the afternoon was so intense that we were restricted to going out in relays doing just 20 mins at a time outside. As someone who became ill with heatstroke last year during a hot spell, when if anything yesterday was even hotter, I have to be careful. My employer doesnt pay me enough to make myself unwell for them. And in fairness to my employer, after going ill last year they have been far more wary of exposing anyone to excessive heat for too long.
Yes just been in tescos and it was warm,I think whoever does the pricing this hot weather has fried their brains....British strawberries 200 grams for £2 or if you have a club card 2x200 grams for £3 sounds good? erm no next display British strawberries 600 grams for £3 no club card needed.

You need eyes in your backside and a brain cos this type of pricing is common,yes I know I'm an an anorak and tight fisted too..
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 19, 2022, 10:28:15 AM
Yet at no time did the incident solar radiation exceed 650 watts per square metre here at 51 deg north.

That was the max in 79 three years after the drought of 76 but that was caused by prolonged time not extreme heat.

So as was explained by the met office, far from being a matter of letting extra sunlight in, the heat is caused by a spinning wind system in the sea over the Algarve pushing sub Saharan heat north. The wind system is heading up the North sea and tomorrow is forecast to chuck cold air down over us as it proceeds east.

Foreign sods. Lucky we have Brexit to shield us from the worst of it.

I might look into this global warming lark. It sounds interesting. Where should I start John?
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on July 19, 2022, 09:45:18 AM
Well we had the hottest days on record in Wales and Cornwall yesterday. The temperature in excess of 36 c at Bude in Cornwall yesterday, beat the record temperature last set in 1976.

And Cornwall being a county surrounded north, south, and west by the sea is often one of the cooler counties this time of year, though frequently the mildest in winter.

So as was explained by the met office, far from being a matter of letting extra sunlight in, the heat is caused by a spinning wind system in the sea over the Algarve pushing sub Saharan heat north. The wind system is heading up the North sea and tomorrow is forecast to chuck cold air down over us as it proceeds east.