Carte d'Or, woke wankers

Started by Borchester, July 16, 2022, 02:35:47 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on July 21, 2022, 04:04:21 PM
I also have just one of those tins. I don't know where it originated for sure but remember it a long way back which suggests it was my Father's. He died in 1968 but smoked I understand until the day I was born. He apparently looked at me and decided it was a choice. Me or tobacco. He never smoked again.
Thats weird , I started smoking the day the Mrs said she was expecting and stopped the day I had the house to myself again :)

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 21, 2022, 03:42:55 PM
Now this I must say I had forgotten about.

But you remind me there are a goodly number of such tins mostly Players Navy Cut IIRC in my garage, and my brothers, all filled with woodworking screws.

Dad inherited them from my great uncle and his brother in law, both of whom entered the council DLO, one as a plasterer the other a brickie when they came back from the war and went into the crem feet first in the late 80s

Ian and I took them from Dad's garage when he passed as in almost 20 years of active DIY'ing since Uncle Tom and Uncle George popped their clogs Dad had barely used 10%

That was 2006.

Despite the Chinese Pox and it's granting to me about nine months of free time in which i repaired tens of running yards of fencing and decking I've only consumed about one in five of the hoard *I* inherited

I suspect Melissa will have plenty of screws nuts and bolts a hundred years old, in tins of equal age, when she has to build her grandkids a play house or the like ...
I also have just one of those tins. I don't know where it originated for sure but remember it a long way back which suggests it was my Father's. He died in 1968 but smoked I understand until the day I was born. He apparently looked at me and decided it was a choice. Me or tobacco. He never smoked again.

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on July 21, 2022, 02:10:28 PM
I hope Duckie, that you aren't confusing me with someone who gives a f**k about the environment ?

HomeBase is dying on its feet and I think that I will fall back on Kelly's Clotted Ice Cream, which is not only delicious with fresh blackberries, but comes in plastic tubs.
But Kelly's tubs are awkwardly shaped for storage and difficult to open and close.
Besides, I find Kelly's Cornish Clotted Cream Ice Cream a bit bland on its own...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on July 21, 2022, 02:03:55 PM
When I was younger I would have nicotine blackouts, due largely because I enjoyed a smoke but partly because Old Holborn came in 2 oz tins, which were ideal for storing nuts and bolts and such.

Now we have to rely on plastic pots. I have to say, the last 50 years haven't been all progress
Now this I must say I had forgotten about.

But you remind me there are a goodly number of such tins mostly Players Navy Cut IIRC in my garage, and my brothers, all filled with woodworking screws.

Dad inherited them from my great uncle and his brother in law, both of whom entered the council DLO, one as a plasterer the other a brickie when they came back from the war and went into the crem feet first in the late 80s

Ian and I took them from Dad's garage when he passed as in almost 20 years of active DIY'ing since Uncle Tom and Uncle George popped their clogs Dad had barely used 10%

That was 2006.

Despite the Chinese Pox and it's granting to me about nine months of free time in which i repaired tens of running yards of fencing and decking I've only consumed about one in five of the hoard *I* inherited

I suspect Melissa will have plenty of screws nuts and bolts a hundred years old, in tins of equal age, when she has to build her grandkids a play house or the like ...

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on July 20, 2022, 10:51:27 PM
So now you have to go to B&Q or Homebase to buy a purpose made empty plastic tub (that costs at least as much as a tub of Carte d'Or) to put nuts and bolts in. These won't last any longer than the old Carte d'Or plastic tubs did, so there's no net reduction in plastic waste.

I hope Duckie, that you aren't confusing me with someone who gives a F@@@ about the environment ?

HomeBase is dying on its feet and I think that I will fall back on Kelly's Clotted Ice Cream, which is not only delicious with fresh blackberries, but comes in plastic tubs.
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 21, 2022, 01:27:34 PM
Er ... Nope

I have a stalwart collection of washed out Chinese takeaway containers holding the fifty or so different varieties of screw, nut, bolt etc the plastic storage box at the end of the garden that now doubles as my shed needs to hold.

If sturdier containers are needed Poundland or B&M bargains offers containers similar to B&Q's at between half and a fifth the price.

When I was younger I would have nicotine blackouts, due largely because I enjoyed a smoke but partly because Old Holborn came in 2 oz tins, which were ideal for storing nuts and bolts and such.

Now we have to rely on plastic pots. I have to say, the last 50 years haven't been all progress
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on July 20, 2022, 10:51:27 PM
So now you have to go to B&Q or Homebase to buy a purpose made empty plastic tub (that costs at least as much as a tub of Carte d'Or) to put nuts and bolts in. These won't last any longer than the old Carte d'Or plastic tubs did, so there's no net reduction in plastic waste.

Er ... Nope

I have a stalwart collection of washed out Chinese takeaway containers holding the fifty or so different varieties of screw, nut, bolt etc the plastic storage box at the end of the garden that now doubles as my shed needs to hold.

If sturdier containers are needed Poundland or B&M bargains offers containers similar to B&Q's at between half and a fifth the price.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

Quote from: Borchester on July 16, 2022, 02:35:47 PM
Just gotten a litre of Carte d'Or ice cream, divvied it up between me and Madam, scoffed it and then washed the container.

Which promptly disintegrated

Apparently the containers are mostly paper now and Carte d'Or is on a mission to save the world or some such mealy mouthed shit.

Don't the dumb buggers at Unilever realise that while ice cream is nice, what we really want is a plastic tube to keep nuts and bolts and needles and blackberries in?

Head dicks.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Sampanviking

Don't worry Borkie
Kelly's Clotted Cream Cornish will still see you right on that score.

Borchester

Just gotten a litre of Carte d'Or ice cream, divvied it up between me and Madam, scoffed it and then washed the container.

Which promptly disintegrated

Apparently the containers are mostly paper now and Carte d'Or is on a mission to save the world or some such mealy mouthed shit.

Don't the dumb buggers at Unilever realise that while ice cream is nice, what we really want is a plastic tube to keep nuts and bolts and needles and blackberries in?

Head dicks.
Algerie Francais !