Ballet white elitist!

Started by T00ts, July 17, 2022, 10:21:56 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 14, 2022, 08:40:34 AM
Poole , Portsmouth  ?  Good luck though I was down Poole at the weekend visiting Family . It was  freeeeezing , the first time I'd seen snow and ice on the quay
So if the Channel froze then Pappy could walk on the water as he has often implied :)

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 14, 2022, 08:40:34 AM
Poole , Portsmouth  ?  Good luck though I was down Poole at the weekend visiting Family . It was  freeeeezing , the first time I'd seen snow and ice on the quay
The are too far away from me especially in winter, and would also mean a long drive across Northern France to get to the far North West of Brittany. It is just not practical. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on December 14, 2022, 08:10:59 AM
That is of no use to me whatsoever. There is no passenger ferry Plymouth/Roscoff until next March.
Poole , Portsmouth  ?  Good luck though I was down Poole at the weekend visiting Family . It was  freeeeezing , the first time I'd seen snow and ice on the quay 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 14, 2022, 04:58:18 AM
There's a DFDS ferry from Dover to Calais almost every 2 hours, google is a wonderful thing, you should try using it.
That is of no use to me whatsoever. There is no passenger ferry Plymouth/Roscoff until next March.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 13, 2022, 07:18:59 PM
I would like to do that, but there isn't a ferry until until next March.
There's a DFDS ferry from Dover to Calais almost every 2 hours, google is a wonderful thing, you should try using it. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on December 13, 2022, 06:50:41 PMI was really looking forward to four weeks in France over the Christmas/New Year break...
I would like to do that, but there isn't a ferry until until next March.

patman post

Of course ballet is a white elitist —  we're having to come back to the UK a week early because Mrs P wants to see Sleeping Beauty at Sadlers Wells. 

No doubt the two princesses and I will also enjoy it, but I was really looking forward to four weeks in France over the Christmas/New Year break...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on November 22, 2022, 09:00:17 PM
My first exposure was in the early 70s. There was a cheerful old flea pit outside Victoria station and for 50 weeks of the year it showed spaghetti westerns and art house movies. I was there with my girl on the other two weeks where it had Swan Lake. So we went in and the whole business knocked me sideways. The exposure that I had had to the ballet was on the TV where the dancers floated across the stage, but at the Victoria cinema a score or so of very fit young women and men made a hell of a racket and took a lot of the preciousness out of the show
This made me laugh. Those point shoes make a racket don't they? The worst I ever saw was a beautiful male dancer who after a particularly spectacular solo full of turns and massive jumps finished on one knee in his final pose and to see his chest going up and down in his satin shirt as he tried to recover his breath, ruined the whole thing. Up to that point the effortless mirage was amazing and at the end his effort was there for all to see. 

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on November 22, 2022, 05:42:32 PM
My first exposure to ballet was when I was about 15 and I saw a video of the Dance Theater of Harlem perform Firebird.

I enjoyed the experience, but I cannot say it turned me into a ballet fan, although I happily sit through and enjoy dance routines on stage shows.

What might be considered elitist is if disproportionate amounts of subsidies are being given to ballet and opera in London, where seat prices are at a level no ordinary punter can afford.

This is totally different to Italy, where opera is almost a national sport — could this be due to the language...?

My first exposure was in the early 70s. There was a cheerful old flea pit outside Victoria station and for 50 weeks of the year it showed spaghetti westerns and art house movies. I was there with my girl on the other two weeks where it had Swan Lake. So we went in and the whole business knocked me sideways. The exposure that I had had to the ballet was on the TV where the dancers floated across the stage, but at the Victoria cinema a score or so of very fit young women and men made a hell of a racket and took a lot of the preciousness out of the show
Algerie Francais !

patman post

My first exposure to ballet was when I was about 15 and I saw a video of the Dance Theater of Harlem perform Firebird.

I enjoyed the experience, but I cannot say it turned me into a ballet fan, although I happily sit through and enjoy dance routines on stage shows.

What might be considered elitist is if disproportionate amounts of subsidies are being given to ballet and opera in London, where seat prices are at a level no ordinary punter can afford.

This is totally different to Italy, where opera is almost a national sport — could this be due to the language...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

I thought ballet might be boring, but changed my mind after seeing "The Nutcracker" at the Hippodrome in 2014.
Amazingly good performance by the Birmingham Royal Ballet and their musicians, and I have seen many more exciting ballet productions since.
My son works for the BRB so we did get some cheap tickets, which made it even sweeter!

How sad that some people want to spam a thread about ballet with other videos. How narrow minded.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Can't really see what the fuss is about.

Ballet will still be taught at the Northern School of Contemporary Dance. But applicants for places will no longer need to have already had some ballet training. This opens the way for more people to apply to study dance there.

There have been moves to involve the wider community in dance and ballet in the USA since the '70s...

Borchester

Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 22, 2022, 09:43:33 AM
No need to be if we all liked the same thing it would be a very boring world: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFiyZB5ucgo
That's great too. I seem to like most types of music and the arts generally.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 22, 2022, 09:35:48 AM
Then I am sad for you. 
No need to be if we all liked the same thing it would be a very boring world: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFiyZB5ucgo