Ballet white elitist!

Started by T00ts, July 17, 2022, 10:21:56 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on December 14, 2022, 02:52:55 PM
It is something they put in the beer

I dare say if we put a gun to your head you might post a few photos :)
There are a couple of photos on Arsebook but nothing that caught my eye.

this year the costume changes were less and the overall show slightly subdued. It was a review of the main bits of the last ten years. Most of the time little madam was in a 'little black dress' with the others in the theatre group.

We in the audience were doing great, until Sharon the woman who started and heads the academy and the theatre group came on to reprise her last stage performance 

Kilimanjaro - from Gary Barlow's Calendar Girls.

To those who don't know, go look it up.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on December 19, 2022, 09:23:18 AM
I reckon it's all these English moving across the Severn now the tolls have been abolished on the bridges. Dancing
Not likely. 

In LiDL stores in Bristol the predominant language is still English and the faces are predominantly white. Not so in Newport where the council and the T@@@ in the bay have operated a policy of sanctuary for anyone arriving by rubber boat.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 17, 2022, 12:08:51 PM. . . but here in Newport the invasion has barely reached eight per cent. Mind you, those eight per cent want the other 92 to change their lifestyle to that of the 8 in school dinners.
I reckon it's all these English moving across the Severn now the tolls have been abolished on the bridges. Dancing
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on December 14, 2022, 05:49:21 PM
Who'd use the ferry in winter? Apart from the good chance of rough weather resulting in unpleasant amounts of passengers vomiting all over the place, there's an even better chance of delays. Le Shuttle is the  transport of choice.

The ferry is for summer when the princesses like to be on deck.

Bringing this back to ballet, could I be a pas de deux, as I'm the father of twins...?
Dunno but two of the dads in Madams group drove the minibuses taking the participants to a weekend workshop with the BBO and after posing for the photos in various of the required 'positions' came home with pass certificates in their own right. Methinks the lead examiner was having a bit of fun ... !!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on December 14, 2022, 02:52:55 PM

I'd love to but various copyright and child protection stuff prevents it. The one I posted of the munchkins took more paperwork than brexit.

Madam is 12 now. When she was I think eight or nine the eleven or twelve year old who had expected by divine right to lead off their tap group and couldn't be bothered to rehearse found out the hard way that's not how it goes. So the instructor put madam at the very front of the group. No safety net, no instructors to set her tempo by, just the music and fifty other dancers relying on her to set the pace for the whole group

She absolutely OWNED that routine. Not a dry eye in the whole of row J in the stalls.

But all the kids (apart from that one who isn't in the company any more) work themselves into the ground for weeks. There's a fully professional company that perform in the other theatre on the Riverbank and I kid you not the academy little madam dances with outshine them every time.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on December 14, 2022, 04:58:18 AM
There's a DFDS ferry from Dover to Calais almost every 2 hours, google is a wonderful thing, you should try using it.
Who'd use the ferry in winter? Apart from the good chance of rough weather resulting in unpleasant amounts of passengers vomiting all over the place, there's an even better chance of delays. Le Shuttle is the  transport of choice. 

The ferry is for summer when the princesses like to be on deck.

Bringing this back to ballet, could I be a pas de deux, as I'm the father of twins...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 14, 2022, 11:31:00 AM
Well, to bring the thread back on track slightly, and to prove the headline is bollocks

Saturday sees my opposite number in the test team dragged off to the theatre to see his daughter perform in her dance company's Christmas show, tutu and all, snd Sunday sees my grand daughter on stage for their Christmas show too.

In her case three costume changes along with all the other Musical Theatre kids.

The whole academy from age 4 to 16 will be on stage at some time to give their all in Ballet, Tap and Jazz and the Adult Musical Theatre Company join with the Musical Theatre kids for the final numbers.

It will be utter pandemonium and I wouldn't have it any other way. Can't wait.

If ballet really is white elitist now, give it ten years. About 20% of Melissa's fellow dancers and actors are, like her, about as white as gritted slush.
This brings back traumatic memories for me. Throughout my career I produced original theatre productions involving usually over 200 from 3 to OAPs. We would take over the Theatre workshops in the previous week to build sets, props and backdrops, rehearse onstage at the beginning of the following week and perform 4 times including a Saturday matinee. I managed on very little sleep, a team of builder Dads and sewing Mums and Grannies. Costumes were usually at least 3 each performer and the criteria for me was to produce them for a maximum of £5 each unless I got prior parental permission. It was crazy. I designed costumes, bought fabric wholesale and cut out patterns on the studio floors so that each child had the right fit and instructions. I look back now and wonder how it was done. The whole thing was physically put together in 6 weeks, although my work would start months ahead. We always completely sold out all performances.

Local companies would donate all sorts of things that we needed from huge cardboard sheets to dry ice but all our backstage were paid - no parents allowed. So stagehands, dressers, makeup artists, props, LX and sound engineers were all employed but I took the role of stage manager. The performers would be ecstatic and in tears very often at the last finale and want to do it all over again. It was a terrific experience for them all and to see their smiles made it worth it. It didn't necessarily improve their technique but it gave them a sense of teamwork and performance that hopefully they still remember. Break a leg guys!

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 14, 2022, 11:31:00 AM

I

Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on December 14, 2022, 10:37:20 AM
This is a thread about ballet in which you have no interest.And yet the thread becomes about you. Tiresome and boring.
Well, to bring the thread back on track slightly, and to prove the headline is bollocks

Saturday sees my opposite number in the test team dragged off to the theatre to see his daughter perform in her dance company's Christmas show, tutu and all, snd Sunday sees my grand daughter on stage for their Christmas show too.

In her case three costume changes along with all the other Musical Theatre kids.

The whole academy from age 4 to 16 will be on stage at some time to give their all in Ballet, Tap and Jazz and the Adult Musical Theatre Company join with the Musical Theatre kids for the final numbers.

If ballet really is white elitist now, give it ten years. About 20% of Melissa's fellow dancers and actors are, like her, about as white as gritted slush.

Nick

Quote from: Barry on December 14, 2022, 10:44:29 AM
Liar.
Reply #28 proves it.
Sorry Barry, you're wrong. 
He actually took it off topic in #19 where he posted a video which allegedly he can't see showing a playing Dire Straits. 

So that's 2 lies right there. Looks like PS pants are on fire. 

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 14, 2022, 10:44:29 AM
Liar.
Reply #28 proves it.
I am not lying read ALL of the thread, others went of on a tangent before I did.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 14, 2022, 10:37:20 AM
This is a thread about ballet in which you have no interest.And yet the thread becomes about you. Tiresome and boring.
Barry it was no me who went of topic.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on December 13, 2022, 07:18:59 PM
I would like to do that, but there isn't a ferry until until next March.
This is a thread about ballet in which you have no interest.
Quote from: papasmurf on November 22, 2022, 09:21:02 AM
Both of which I have zero interest in.  Female opera singers sound as if they are being tortured with a combination of hot irons and electricity.
And yet the thread becomes about you. Tiresome and boring.

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 14, 2022, 08:40:34 AM
Poole , Portsmouth  ?  Good luck though I was down Poole at the weekend visiting Family . It was  freeeeezing , the first time I'd seen snow and ice on the quay
Precisely, it is difficult enough to get out of Cornwall at the moment. Snow, ice, multiple road works, multiple accidents. It is problematic just getting to the nearest town 11 miles away. The getting to Poole or Portsmouth are pigs of trips even in Summer.
Then there is the expense and mileages involved both sides of the channel. (We get  a huge discount on Brittany ferries.) Any other route other than Plymouth/Roscoff is impractical and far too expensive.