The biggest we told you so in History

Started by Streetwalker, July 19, 2022, 08:55:52 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on July 20, 2022, 08:48:32 AM
Now that we have all seen the outcome, polling is tending to suggest that those who think Brexit a mistake outnumber those still supportive of it, and the negative ones are growing in number.

These are uncomfortable facts for those who like to champion the will of the people, because my bet is the will of the people only matters to them if they want the same things as they do....

In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the EU? – What UK Thinks: EU
That's right Steve you blank right out the OP and the implications surrounding it,and of course you resort to quoting Churchill to denigrate those you oppose,you haven't got round to mentioning spitfires or broad sunlit uplands which were all used to portray those who voted leave as half wits living in the past.

Isnt it funny though those same people who use Churchill to belittle leave voters suddenly find him and that era so attractive when the ECHR is a source of controversy,and please don't try and divert because we all are aware the ECHR is a separate entity though I don't doubt they wish it otherwise. 
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 20, 2022, 05:29:05 AM
Thus was always the case unless you arrive on an inflatable .
Still be good to hear from some remoaners on how they would sell the EU to us now ,or even  if they still would .
Now that we have all seen the outcome, polling is tending to suggest that those who think Brexit a mistake outnumber those still supportive of it, and the negative ones are growing in number.

These are uncomfortable facts for those who like to champion the will of the people, because my bet is the will of the people only matters to them if they want the same things as they do....

In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the EU? – What UK Thinks: EU
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on July 19, 2022, 11:02:17 PM
We shall fight them on the beaches, we shall never surrender.
Thus was always the case unless you arrive on an inflatable .
Still be good to hear from some remoaners on how they would sell the EU to us now ,or even  if they still would .

johnofgwent

I suppose it is the biggest 'i told you so' ...

I said for years while we were mired in this cesspool that the european dream as dreamt by the hegemonists simply was not possible.

To have a single currency you must have a central, single voice controlling tax, exchange rate, trade and a multitude of other issues and having a single currency with half a dozen dissenting voices disagreeing on how things should run is just ... A recipe for disaster.

How strange (not) that the demand to control things and remove the veto comes from Germany.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on July 19, 2022, 11:02:17 PM
I wasn't quoting Churchill,uncomfortable it might be for you who has come up with this?

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on July 19, 2022, 10:31:59 PM
Brussels yes.....nominally but as we all knew the orders come from Berlin.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 19, 2022, 09:13:44 PM
I can see a good few countries thinking seriously about continued membership if this comes to be . What with not being able to set interest rates and having more and more policy set in  Brussels  it may be seen as  a good time to jump ship .
Brussels yes.....nominally but as we all knew the orders come from Berlin.

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on July 19, 2022, 09:00:33 PM
Well what will Gerry say,one of the big planks in his support for the eu looks to disappear.

How will he justify this? :)
I can see a good few countries thinking seriously about continued membership if this comes to be . What with not being able to set interest rates and having more and more policy set in  Brussels  it may be seen as  a good time to jump ship .

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 19, 2022, 08:55:52 PM
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eu-can-no-longer-afford-national-vetoes-foreign-policy-germanys-scholz-2022-07-17/?fbclid=IwAR1rb446ORaXc0XxggTCzQQSTqnWOOu0QYtzCxZzptl3PWuZje64tzUlx9w

So who thinks rejoining the EU is now a good idea ?  No more veteo's on defence or foreign policy a weakening euro and an EU wide immigration policy

Good luck with selling that to the masses Union Flag
Well what will Gerry say,one of the big planks in his support for the eu looks to disappear.

How will he justify this? :)

Streetwalker

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eu-can-no-longer-afford-national-vetoes-foreign-policy-germanys-scholz-2022-07-17/?fbclid=IwAR1rb446ORaXc0XxggTCzQQSTqnWOOu0QYtzCxZzptl3PWuZje64tzUlx9w

So who thinks rejoining the EU is now a good idea ?  No more veteo's on defence or foreign policy a weakening euro and an EU wide immigration policy 

Good luck with selling that to the masses Union Flag