Eight million people on SSRI pills for depression...

Started by Barry, July 20, 2022, 12:04:18 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Sheepy on July 20, 2022, 12:59:27 PM
This has gone on for decades, previously Prozac, I am not sure we take mental health as a priority but just find ways of creating more Zombies. 8.3 million people should be scary enough.
That's true, but I guess mental health will remain medicine's poor relation until enough celebrities raise its profile, and the whole field attracts more researchers and staff.

Currently, it seems mostly to be left to the GP to prescribe pills, some of which must obviously work, but just as obviously, many don't cure the patient.

A friend of mine was prescribed Seroxat for years. The drug was said to be non-addictive. But she was in a dreadful state when she decided to stop, and even though she did it under supposed supervision, she had to take other medications to counter the "withdrawal symptoms"...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on July 20, 2022, 03:25:13 PM
Pretty much off topic, but I have terrible bouts of depression every month or so. I would top myself were it not for the fact that I am too fed up to find a rope to do the necessary.

The thing is that I am lucky in that after three or four days it usually burns itself out and I am as right as ninepence. Some poor buggers are not so lucky and I hope that some one finds a pill soon
I became suicidally depressed for a time half a lifetime ago, including a serious attempt at an overdose. It is not a good place to be. I got over that with the help of therapy and tablets but my depression gradually morphed into anxiety instead, which I have never entirely gotten over and still take meds for but now feel normal most of the time.

It does however lie behind my occasional overeactions to certain things, my inability to deal well with online bullying situations, and my occasional tendency to flounce off for a few weeks or months to get away from online situations that are pressing the wrong buttons.

I learned many years ago on a predecessor version of this very forum that emotional investment in pixels on a screen is silly and if a particular site starts pressing the wrong buttons for any reason it is best to walk away for a time.

I do not say good things about this place often enough so I will now. Whenever I feel the need for some time away from here, I often find other sites to post on. None thus far have been as remotely or as fairly or well administerred or moderated as this one, the occasional wrong call in my opinion notwithstanding. It tends to be the place I always come back to sooner or later.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Pretty much off topic, but I have terrible bouts of depression every month or so. I would top myself were it not for the fact that I am too fed up to find a rope to do the necessary.

The thing is that I am lucky in that after three or four days it usually burns itself out and I am as right as ninepence. Some poor buggers are not so lucky and I hope that some one finds a pill soon
Algerie Francais !

Scott777

It's funny how pills for depression, vaccines, 'gender' reassignment, and many other things being pushed, all happen to make lots of money for big companies.  As far as I'm concerned, depression is what happens when you feel you have no future, and don't know what to do about it.  Imagine taking pills to help with your disappointment that you can't solve a crossword puzzle.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on July 20, 2022, 12:04:18 PM
...And it is all about a theory about serotonin in the brain.
Which has now been disproved by a new study.

Which begs the question whether those 8 million people are benefitting at all from the drugs. Obviously anyone on pills should not stop taking them without advice from their doctor.

I think this is a huge announcement.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/no-convincing-evidence-depression-is-caused-by-chemical-imbalance/ar-AAZLkT8

This has gone on for decades, previously Prozac, I am not sure we take mental health as a priority but just find ways of creating more Zombies. 8.3 million people should be scary enough.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

...And it is all about a theory about serotonin in the brain.
Which has now been disproved by a new study.

Which begs the question whether those 8 million people are benefitting at all from the drugs. Obviously anyone on pills should not stop taking them without advice from their doctor.

I think this is a huge announcement. 
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/no-convincing-evidence-depression-is-caused-by-chemical-imbalance/ar-AAZLkT8
† The end is nigh †