How old is your PC?

Started by Barry, January 19, 2020, 11:47:15 PM

« previous - next »

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Barry post_id=13794 time=1579553402 user_id=51
A lot of the new PCs have Solid State "hard disks", basically memory rather like a flash drive. They have much less memory than my 1TB hard drive and they are relying on customers either storing files on an external drive or using cloud based storage through Microsoft or Apple etc.

I prefer to keep my own files on my own equipment, so I usually reject SSDs when shopping around.

You can buy a 1TB SSD. It's a little over 100 quid I think.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Gliderman

6 years, and it's still able to run most modern games, although it struggles with XPlane 11.

I'm considering upgrading the RAM from 16gb to 32gb.

cromwell

Well I have two,one as a back up about 15 years old another ten years which is battered and looking a bit rough round the edges (bit like me) and a clapped out ipad.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

A lot of the new PCs have Solid State "hard disks", basically memory rather like a flash drive. They have much less memory than my 1TB hard drive and they are relying on customers either storing files on an external drive or using cloud based storage through Microsoft or Apple etc.

I prefer to keep my own files on my own equipment, so I usually reject SSDs when shopping around.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=13750 time=1579535458 user_id=51

Linux is OK, in fact Android grew out of it, I think, and it is open source, so if there's a glitch geeks jump on it and fix it quickly.

That is about it as far as I am concerned Barry. Any problems with Linux and some geek will be delighted to fix it. And I have the advantage that I don't need an operating system for much other than posting to you guys and downloading movies and books. Plus, everything from Microsoft seems to require more and more Ram, whereas although some of my computers aren't much more powerful than the slide rule I used at Poplar Tech in 1963, there is usually a version of Ubuntu that will run on them. :D
Algerie Francais !

Baron von Lotsov

I've just got a Dell PC about 3-4 years old with Windows 10.

It does the job, get a few things wrong, like you would expect from Microsoft, but nothing too bad. It does like to switch to the US keyboard though as it pleases.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

johnofgwent

I just chucked out my last AMD 32 bit desktop, no  there is one in the junk room. Purchased in 1996.

The oldest useful laptops are think pads purchased when the girls were in school so that's 15 years ago. They still boot XP.

I still have an amstrad ppc640 and it still boots from its 3 inch disk.

I got slackware linux 1.0.18 running on a 2 Megabyte memory, 32 megabyte disk Intel 386SX bought in 1999 for a bet, it took over 5 min to get to the text command line login prompt but it did, so I won. That gotvskipped last year ...

I've got an Acer 32 bit laptop hat originally had vista and an asus K55 which I bought secondhand in 2017.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Quote from: Borchester post_id=13682 time=1579487706 user_id=62
The main one is about 15 years old, but the one I am using is about 20. I have no idea of the specifications because my son has just installed Ubuntu and I am still trying to master the operating system.

It runs and downloads movies and books and have a bit of a craic with other posters and that is good enough for me.

You are doing well with those old computers. I can't remember getting one to keep going without annoying me with little problems, or the software just got out of date. Of course Windows 10 has meant that reason doesn't come up so much.

People with Apple stuff seem to be happy, although it is at a premium.

Linux is OK, in fact Android grew out of it, I think, and it is open source, so if there's a glitch geeks jump on it and fix it quickly.

I'll stick with this lovely red laptop until it annoys me too much. A bit like cars with me, really.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

I got a new laptop for Christmas . The one before that was about two years old but I took that on site and it got covered in cement dust , the e and the s  didn't work , it had had a couple of cups of tea over it and the screen bit was broken and held on with gaffa tape .

The new one is being kept indoors .

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=13676 time=1579477635 user_id=51
What's your main PC like?

I only have one PC, less than a year old.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=13676 time=1579477635 user_id=51

The main one is about 15 years old, but the one I am using is about 20. I have no idea of the specifications because my son has just installed Ubuntu and I am still trying to master the operating system.

It runs and downloads movies and books and have a bit of a craic with other posters and that is good enough for me.
Algerie Francais !

GregB

I have an Apple Mac that's around 6 years old. I hardly ever use it these days and mainly just use an iPad.

Barry

My laptop is an Acer Aspire E1-530 which I bought on 14th May 2014. I paid less than £300 for it so it owes me not a penny.

(Intel Pentium 2117U, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive, Intel HD Graphics, Windows 8) which has been upgraded to Windows 10 as Windows 8 was a train wreck!

Will be 6 years old this year. The mouse pad is worn smooth and the wi-fi doesn't connect sometimes, but generally it is fine. It's had a new battery.

† The end is nigh †