The war on motor traffic

Started by patman post, July 22, 2022, 05:51:00 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on July 22, 2022, 06:09:26 PM
My nearest town is a fine example of the lack of intelligent thought in those who design or operate the roads. I am not sure 'training' would make much difference to the final result. All short cuts have been cut off in one way or another. All traffic is forced down the same inadequate roads where if suddenly fire/ambulance services were rushing carnage would ensue. It has been evolving over at least a decade with ongoing 'improvements' have simply made things worse. Then they wonder why the town foot fall has dropped.

The town foot fall has dropped because

(a) the customer can get most everything he or she want delivered to the door for not much more than the price of a cup of coffee

(b) the retailers don't have to pay for those vast aircraft hanger like supermarkets
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on July 22, 2022, 06:03:38 PM
Don't Morrisons deliver in Stamford Hill Pat?
Yes, but Mrs likes to shop in person, and insists I prod and sniff the fruit and veg — though she very occasionally calls on Ocado — and today I wanted to restock on sparkling water and scotch, neither of which is guaranteed to be what's ordered if you leave it to the store pickers...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Referring to the OP that sounds really awfully frustrating and typical of the state of our roads and transport systems. It's holding back individuals, families and businesses. When it starts holding back politicians, perhaps something will be done, but they do have the use of private jets and helicopters.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on July 22, 2022, 05:51:00 PM
Just borrowed Mrs P's PHEV Outlander to get in a load of shopping from Stamford Hill Morrisons. Depending on traffic, it's usually a 5-7 min run there and now a 10-15 min run back, since Hackney's blocked many streets to through traffic. Add in 30-40 min actually shopping, and the shopping's max time should be no more than 65 min — though it's usually done in under 45 min.

Today, the whole job's taken 3 hrs !!!

Road works and temporary traffic signals*** on the A10, meant 15 min actually getting on the A10, 30 min travelling the quarter-mile to Morrisons, another 60 min in Morrisons because it no longer has chariots, but only small trolleys — so two shop-tours and check-out visits are needed. And to cap it all, the return journey of 1h 15 min.

The real cause of the delays is that nobody arranges traffic signals to only allow traffic to proceed if the way forward is clear. The result is that drivers launch their vehicles into all spaces that present themselves on the junctions even though there's no exit clear. Even temporary sin bins and cameras and signs would help.

***Nobody actually working on the roadworks, and the temporary traffic signals uncoordinated with the six other sets of traffic signals on the full route.

Hackney, Highways England and TfL must train their traffic planners well to disrupt traffic to this extent, but still encourage drivers to keep paying for the privilege. My only consolation is that I used not one drop of fuel over the whole trip, and I got to listen to almost all Amy's Back to Black...
My nearest town is a fine example of the lack of intelligent thought in those who design or operate the roads. I am not sure 'training' would make much difference to the final result. All short cuts have been cut off in one way or another. All traffic is forced down the same inadequate roads where if suddenly fire/ambulance services were rushing carnage would ensue. It has been evolving over at least a decade with ongoing 'improvements' have simply made things worse. Then they wonder why the town foot fall has dropped.

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on July 22, 2022, 05:51:00 PM
Just borrowed Mrs P's PHEV Outlander to get in a load of shopping from Stamford Hill Morrisons. Depending on traffic, it's usually a 5-7 min run there and now a 10-15 min run back, since Hackney's blocked many streets to through traffic. Add in 30-40 min actually shopping, and the shopping's max time should be no more than 65 min — though it's usually done in under 45 min.

Road works and temporary traffic signals*** on the A10, meant 15 min actually getting on the A10, 30 min travelling the quarter-mile to Morrisons, another 60 min in Morrisons because it no longer has chariots, but only small trolleys — so two shop-tours and check-out visits are needed. And to cap it all, the return journey of 1h 15 min.

The real cause of the delays is that nobody arranges traffic signals to only allow traffic to proceed if the way forward is clear. The result is that drivers launch their vehicles into all spaces that present themselves on the junctions even though there's no exit clear. Even temporary sin bins and cameras and signs would help.

***Nobody actually working on the roadworks, and the temporary traffic signals uncoordinated with the six other sets of traffic signals on the full route.

Hackney, Highways England and TfL must train their traffic planners well to disrupt traffic to this extent, but still encourage drivers to keep paying for the privilege. My only consolation is that I used not one drop of fuel over the whole trip, and I got to listen to almost all Amy's Back to Black...

Don't Morrisons deliver in Stamford Hill Pat?
Algerie Francais !

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...