The postal strike and my new trousers.

Started by Borchester, July 25, 2022, 12:55:46 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on July 26, 2022, 08:16:34 AM
The Welsh eventually overcome the native temperance movement and re-started producing whisky a couple of years ago.

I know some Welsh water was used to cut/reduce some Scotch since about the '70s — perhaps before — so I guess the dwr well suited for local whisky production. Has anyone sampled any...?

PS: apologies, it's the Welsh tailors that pushed me off-topic onto whisky — I guess Penclawdd Port would have been more appropriate...
I have indeed.

The distillery used to be on the road up to my distaff side's ancient tribal land in Hirwaun. So naturally I popped up to sample the stuff

God almighty 

A rather pompous wine critic once said if a certain Beaujolais Nouveau "this wine is perfect ... for washing down horses"

The distillery produced two products at its launch. One was an offering that barely managed to meet the trades descriptions act by its definition of a product casked ten years, and it showed. It was as rough as sandpaper.

The ten year was little better.

I am told they have learned from those early days.

I don't know. I'm not going to risk having to have oral sex with a fire hose a second time
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on July 26, 2022, 08:58:30 AM
The postal strike and my new trousers, eh?

I thought this might have been a thread about some new Wallace and Gromit film with a title like that, lol
Dancing Dancing Dancing First giggle of the day - thank you!

srb7677

The postal strike and my new trousers, eh?

I thought this might have been a thread about some new Wallace and Gromit film with a title like that, lol
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on July 25, 2022, 11:35:14 PM
There is an outfitters near Cardiff Castle, that sells Welsh tartans.

Never be surprised by Welsh tailors :)
The Welsh eventually overcome the native temperance movement and re-started producing whisky a couple of years ago.

I know some Welsh water was used to cut/reduce some Scotch since about the '70s — perhaps before — so I guess the dwr well suited for local whisky production. Has anyone sampled any...?

PS: apologies, it's the Welsh tailors that pushed me off-topic onto whisky — I guess Penclawdd Port would have been more appropriate...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on July 25, 2022, 11:35:14 PM

I heard of someone doing that

I'll have to see if they have the Roderick tartan.

What with me being Ieuan Ap Barbara Merch Evan Ap Dafydd Ap Myfanwy Merch Iwan Ap Rhys Ap Dafydd Ap Iwan Rhys Rhoderic I'w Hirwaun and all .

(That's my proper battle honorific. I had my brother the genealogy nut in the family look it up for me, I had it wring before. When Plaid get their way and blow the explosive bolts, look out for a Melissa Merch Sara Merch Ieuan ..... sitting on the throne in place of Charlie lug ears. The twats don't know who they're likely to get when they topple the heirs of Liz Windsor....

You know, despite saying I'd only do it if they demanded I wore a monkey suit to a wedding, I bet turning up in a Roderick tartan might just ........
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 25, 2022, 10:58:50 PM
Coming back to trousers then....

I have to admit most of the stuff of that ilk i am forced to buy online comes here courtesy of that godforsaken bunch of crooks called Hermes, who recently rebadged their operation as Hermes were getting a reputation somewhere between Ratner's, Sellafield and Jack the Ripper.

I discovered a sort of "end of the line" men's outfitters in Cardiff a few months ago. A bunch of guys called Slater's who have amalgamated a formal menswear hire operation, a bespoke tailor whose offerings carry price tags similar to the demands of a people smuggler, and a far more reasonable operation selling what are clearly end of line suits etc while retaining the services of seamstresses etc to offer alterations free of charge. Which means I've got the suit for my daughter's wedding for a fraction of the damage I thought I'd have to pay. And no couriers involved. I used by free bus pass to go there and pick it up !!

Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Coming back to trousers then....

I have to admit most of the stuff of that ilk i am forced to buy online comes here courtesy of that godforsaken bunch of crooks called Hermes, who recently rebadged their operation as Hermes were getting a reputation somewhere between Ratner's, Sellafield and Jack the Ripper.

I discovered a sort of "end of the line" men's outfitters in Cardiff a few months ago. A bunch of guys called Slater's who have amalgamated a formal menswear hire operation, a bespoke tailor whose offerings carry price tags similar to the demands of a people smuggler, and a far more reasonable operation selling what are clearly end of line suits etc while retaining the services of seamstresses etc to offer alterations free of charge. Which means I've got the suit for my daughter's wedding for a fraction of the damage I thought I'd have to pay. And no couriers involved. I used by free bus pass to go there and pick it up !!

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on July 25, 2022, 09:45:00 PM
The important thing is Borchester, do the trousers fit with a bit of growing room? ;D
Is this a new-style propagation system for allotment application...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: Barry on July 25, 2022, 03:39:07 PM
PP, are you saying that the Post Office is no longer responsible for telephone lines and exchanges? ;D
The Post Office actually put together a reasonable broadband and telephony offer a few years ago. But in 2021, it decided it should concentrate on financial and allied services — perhaps not because of its experience with its own Horizon system that ruined so many subpostmasters' lives — and sold its bb and telephony to Shell... 

T00ts

The important thing is Borchester, do the trousers fit with a bit of growing room? ;D

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on July 25, 2022, 02:02:58 PM
Apologies. I was clumsily pointing out that Royal Mail and the Post Office are now separate organisations.

Royal Mail (Group Ltd) is the company that delivers parcels and letters — the provider of the universal postal service. The Post Office is the gov-owned nationwide network of (approx 12,000) branches offering a range of postal (receiving), Government and financial services.

Our regular postie's a friendly chap. Eastern-European, I think...

A bit of schmultz.

A friend of mine came to the UK from Gujarat in India and spent the next 25 years breaking his back in a pizza factory. Then, once his mortgage was paid off he got a job as a postman.

I asked him why, since neither the pay nor the hours were any better. And he replied that when a manager in the post office wanted his attention they asked for Hari or Mr Kumar. In the pizza factory they called for the black bastard.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on July 25, 2022, 03:39:07 PM
PP, are you saying that the Post Office is no longer responsible for telephone lines and exchanges? ;D
Are you serious ? Post Office Telephones Ltd was disbanded when BT came about.

I'm pretty sure all that shit is now owned and managed by BT Openreach. That's who pay my little brother's salary to keep an eye on the network anyway

Barry

PP, are you saying that the Post Office is no longer responsible for telephone lines and exchanges? ;D
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on July 25, 2022, 01:39:41 PM
The kid that turned up on Sunday night was not from the local sorting office and I don't give a toss about the pen pushers who run National Giro or whatever it is called this week.

I like the old style postmen and women and hope they are not voting themselves out of a job
Apologies. I was clumsily pointing out that Royal Mail and the Post Office are now separate organisations.

Royal Mail (Group Ltd) is the company that delivers parcels and letters — the provider of the universal postal service. The Post Office is the gov-owned nationwide network of (approx 12,000) branches offering a range of postal (receiving), Government and financial services.

Our regular postie's a friendly chap. Eastern-European, I think...

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on July 25, 2022, 01:06:10 PM
It's Royal Mail and Parcel Force that deliver.

The Post Office has developed into an extremely useful national network, providing many services that used to be supplied by banks, local insurance brokers, utility cashiers, etc.

These days, nobody seems to handling the last mile for letter deliveries (while snail mail is still required), so Royal Mail should be safe even if it's forced to restrict deliveries to weekdays only. Fewer employees, maybe, but it's largely down to them and the CWU...

The kid that turned up on Sunday night was not from the local sorting office and I don't give a toss about the pen pushers who run National Giro or whatever it is called this week.

I like the old style postmen and women and hope they are not voting themselves out of a job
Algerie Francais !