1000 EU financial firms moving to ...........

Started by Streetwalker, January 20, 2020, 08:28:31 AM

« previous - next »

GerryT

I think you might be missing the point. This signals the end of EU finance firms operating in the UK. To get around this EU companies open up UK legal entities, employing UK residents to get around the "brass plate" requirements. That company is now a UK one and pays its taxes in the UK, etc...

The point being the exact same will happen to UK finance companies, opening EU companies and creating EU jobs and paying taxes in the EU.

So who has the most to loose, are there more london based companies investing in the EU 18T market or more EU based companies investing in the UK 2.7T market.

The second whammy is EU companies that currently trade in the rest of the world can continue to do so with their existing FTA's but the UK at the end of transition will have zero FTA's, that's another risk.

The article isn't balanced and takes a very unusual or selective look at what's happening.

GerryT

I think you might be missing the point. This signals the end of EU finance firms operating in the UK. To get around this EU companies open up UK legal entities, employing UK residents to get around the "brass plate" requirements. That company is now a UK one and pays its taxes in the UK, etc...

The point being the exact same will happen to UK finance companies, opening EU companies and creating EU jobs.

So who has the most to loose, the UK 2.7T or EU 18T.

Hyperduck Quack Quack

I don't think I ever said there there would be an 'armageddon day' the moment we leave the EU.  More a growing sense of things being less good than, or more difficult than, they were before.  If that trend happens and it becomes bad enough, then various crises - economical, social and political, will crop up over the next year or two.

Streetwalker

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=13709 time=1579513878 user_id=103
All this is to cope with a problem that didn't need to exist.  It's like bricking up the doorway into your living room so that the only way in is through the window then making some nice steps to make getting through the window with a tray of tea and biscuits a bit easier.

Its not a problem quackers , its just the market adapting to the conditions that are being presented and with all the doom and gloom that you and your fellow remoaners jumped on with news of job losses and Armageddon for the City I thought a bit of good news to balance it up would be in order  .

Even so Im glad someone made some nice steps (another job created ) and  we have gained a few biscuits , I like biscuits   :lol: .

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=13705 time=1579512592 user_id=53
I would be expecting the complete opposite to 'hostile' .  

What you are expecting and what has become obvious in the last few days are two very different things.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=13709 time=1579513878 user_id=103
All this is to cope with a problem that didn't need to exist.

Precisely.

Hyperduck Quack Quack

All this is to cope with a problem that didn't need to exist.  It's like bricking up the doorway into your living room so that the only way in is through the window then making some nice steps to make getting through the window with a tray of tea and biscuits a bit easier.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=13701 time=1579511310 user_id=89
IF permanent arrangements are put in place. They have to deal with the increasingly hostile environment from the British government.

I would be expecting the complete opposite to 'hostile' .  Whatever happens in the fallout of Brexit it will be most important to keep our financial services on the right side of friendly , welcoming and transparent .

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=13700 time=1579510945 user_id=53
Yes temporary which will cover them until permanent arrangements are in place .  That companies are taking the bull by the horns and doing what is in their and their customers  best interests is encouraging though , no ?

IF permanent arrangements are put in place. They have to deal with the increasingly hostile environment from the British government.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=13699 time=1579510296 user_id=89
You must have missed the words temporary permission in the link you posted.

As yet I not seen or heard of ANY comment from government about what they intend to do about passported financial transactions post Brexit.

At a personal level I have made arrangements in case there is no agreement on passported financial transactions. Those are not possible for a large organisation with multiple customers in Europe.

Yes temporary which will cover them until permanent arrangements are in place .  That companies are taking the bull by the horns and doing what is in their and their customers  best interests is encouraging though , no ?

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=13697 time=1579508911 user_id=53

Project fear is on life support as its revealed that European financial firms will be opening offices in London to serve its UK customers after Brexit .

You must have missed the words temporary permission in the link you posted.

As yet I not seen or heard of ANY comment from government about what they intend to do about passported financial transactions post Brexit.

At a personal level I have made arrangements in case there is no agreement on passported financial transactions. Those are not possible for a large organisation with multiple customers in Europe.

Streetwalker

LONDON !

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-banks/a-thousand-eu-financial-firms-plan-to-open-uk-offices-after-brexit-idUKKBN1ZJ00L">https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita ... KKBN1ZJ00L">https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-banks/a-thousand-eu-financial-firms-plan-to-open-uk-offices-after-brexit-idUKKBN1ZJ00L

Project fear is on life support as its revealed that European financial firms will be opening offices in London to serve its UK customers after Brexit .