The Tories are closing the gap

Started by Borchester, August 03, 2022, 02:41:54 PM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

Quote from: srb7677 on August 03, 2022, 10:06:26 PM
I don't think the Tories are likely to enjoy a large bounce until their new leader is in place. They may or may not get one then depending upon a variety of factors, not least of which is what kind of impression the new leader has on the people in his or her first days and weeks, in which the Tory party conference might well play a significant part.
Liz Truss the new leader will come to power just as the country's heading into a recession. If the Tories want to win the next general election, they've got a maximum of two and a half years to:
1) heal the economy,
2) convince the public that Brexit really was a good idea,
3) show that the Tories can be trusted again,
4) retain the appeal they had to ex-Labour voters last time round
5) have some imaginative new policies to take the country forward beyond merely recovering from the mess.

During the rest of this government's tenure, how Britain's economy performs in comparison to the EU as a whole and to individual EU member states will be an indicator of the level of damage done by Brexit.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on August 03, 2022, 02:41:54 PM
Not by a lot it must be said. The Labour party is on 40% and the Tories 33%. Still, the gap has closed by 2% over the past 10 days and Starmer hasn't come up with any new bungs to bribe the public with  so things might be getting fun
:)
I don't think the Tories are likely to enjoy a large bounce until their new leader is in place. They may or may not get one then depending upon a variety of factors, not least of which is what kind of impression the new leader has on the people in his or her first days and weeks, in which the Tory party conference might well play a significant part.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Cant see that there is any more support for Labour even if the Tories have been taking a kicking . I would like to see what questions they are putting up and how they have come to Labour on 40% .  

Borchester

Not by a lot it must be said. The Labour party is on 40% and the Tories 33%. Still, the gap has closed by 2% over the past 10 days and Starmer hasn't come up with any new bungs to bribe the public with  so things might be getting fun
:)
Algerie Francais !