Might as well tattoo everyone with a barcode.

Started by cromwell, August 03, 2022, 07:10:23 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on August 04, 2022, 11:13:24 AM
CCTV is being installed across Hackney to monitor roads the council has decided should be closed off, designated school streets, or restricted for through-traffic between the hours of 07:00 and 19:00.

If they can read the number plates on moving vehicles, I guess they can be used to identify people. Shame they don't pick up cyclists and riders of electric powered scooters, etc, ignoring No Cycling restrictions and the Highway Code...
In my experience a Winnie Mandela necklace fixes such cameras quite efficiently
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 04, 2022, 05:53:07 PM
Dont believe it posty , they are putting them up to catch the crims . Its probably the next best thing after stop and search ;)
I don't disbelieve it — but electric scooters must be the ultimate grab and getaway method...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on August 04, 2022, 11:13:24 AM
CCTV is being installed across Hackney to monitor roads the council has decided should be closed off
Dont believe it posty , they are putting them up to catch the crims . Its probably the next best thing after stop and search ;)

patman post

CCTV is being installed across Hackney to monitor roads the council has decided should be closed off, designated school streets, or restricted for through-traffic between the hours of 07:00 and 19:00.

If they can read the number plates on moving vehicles, I guess they can be used to identify people. Shame they don't pick up cyclists and riders of electric powered scooters, etc, ignoring No Cycling restrictions and the Highway Code...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Its just more cameras added to the thousands that can track our every move in our cities and major towns .

Science has moved on from mugshots , the shape of your head ,an earlobe or your gait can give clues to your identity . I read a while back some cctv gizmo  can even make out what state of mind your in ?

Barcodes , identity chips  all a bit  futuristic but I guess thats where we are heading 

srb7677

Quote from: Sheepy on August 03, 2022, 08:10:36 PM
With dark sunglasses as an eye is just like a fingerprint.
Indeed, but you have to zoom in pretty close with good quality imaging to get an ID from an eye. Which in any case could only work if a record of the eye already exists on a police database. A facial picture without any particular focus on an eye is far more likely to be on such a database. If you have ever been arrested for anything serious enough for you to be taken to the nick, there is going to be a mugshot of you in the records. Many wrong doers would have been caught on earlier occasions and the police will already have their mugshots. A mask being worn could make it much more difficult for the wrongdoers to be positively recognised.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on August 03, 2022, 07:39:03 PM
You could always wear a PPE mask!  Dancing
Your comment was made in jest but there is a serious point. In these times where mask wearing is not considered odd but a reasonable thing to do even though most of us don't bother anymore, surely anyone up to no good could choose to wear a mask without causing any undue suspicion? Which tends to mean that face recognition technology is going to be pretty useless at detecting the wrong doers if the latter have enough common sense to wear a mask.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on August 03, 2022, 07:39:03 PM
You could always wear a PPE mask!  Dancing

With dark sunglasses as an eye is just like a fingerprint.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on August 03, 2022, 07:32:31 PM
Your OP subject is very provocative, Cromwell. It's not about identifying people, it's about indexing vehicles. Now, there are many who would say if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. I'm not one of them as I know how things can be abused.

Whilst on the subject, though, the Met are now using facial recognition cameras routinely at weekends in London.
Indexing tens of thousands of faces without recognising many at all. Why would they want to do that?
Time for a hoodie, hijab or a face covering.
Well as I said I have no objections if access is monitored as it stands they can access whenever and whatever and as someone pointed out it has been used to track ex girlfriends or spouses of police officers....that's not right.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on August 03, 2022, 07:32:31 PM
Your OP subject is very provocative, Cromwell. It's not about identifying people, it's about indexing vehicles. Now, there are many who would say if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. I'm not one of them as I know how things can be abused.

Whilst on the subject, though, the Met are now using facial recognition cameras routinely at weekends in London.
Indexing tens of thousands of faces without recognising many at all. Why would they want to do that?
You could always wear a PPE mask!  Dancing

Barry

† The end is nigh †

cromwell

So Sadiq Khan has given full access of TFL cameras to the met,this is madness and whilst I have no objection to police accessing cameras for crime prevention there needs to be safeguards in place and accountability.

He's being challenged,good.

https://techmonitor.ai/policy/privacy-and-data-protection/mayor-of-london-met-police-road-cameras-tfl-surveillance
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?