Latest Chinese export - coronavirus COVID-19

Started by Barry, January 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=19587 time=1585249535 user_id=50

Sick of this sh*t already. I haven't been on for a while because in the last 8 days, I haven't worked less than 12 hours a day because of this utter fiasco, and on at least two days have worked 14 hours a day. Its absolute fecking chaos.

Good post deppity we finished monday , and im now in feck it mode to be honest.

Jist try and keep smiling , what can you do?

I have had one of my female cousins in paisley on facebook posting nothing but utter total fake news all feckn week , talk about drama  queens bless her. This is also what we have been talking about for a while now about people relishing and overdoing the bad news.

Couple of examples the poor auld burd posted a picture of a warehouse in madrid with someone telling her its the SECC in glesga getting prepared for all the dead bodies and those ready to die.

I politely pointed out i had saw the same picture last weekend in the FT website , and it wasnt the secc in glasgow .

Then the next day she is copying and sharing some drama queen talking about how all italian doctors and nurses have been killed by coronavirus.

I didnt bother even commenting.

Thats the sort of hysteria out there at the minute , the deliberate by political activists , drama queens and attention seekers backed up by the not so bright.

All we can do is knuckle down and get through it.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Barry post_id=18901 time=1584525037 user_id=51
I can see both sides of the argument. The CV19 is actually removing a lot of aged and unhealthy people from the planet.

In the UK 600,000 people die each year. Maybe 20,000 will die with this virus as it runs its course, but many of those may well have died this year, in any case.

It would be economically better to have this virus go through the population quicker and have a shorter close-down, or no close-down at all.

With everyone waiting for the death figures each day all 20,000 to die in 2 months might panic people. It's a very difficult decision to make in so many respects, socially, medically and economically.

What I want to know is how will we know if people are immune if they can't be sure they have had it? Because when it has gone we will be a healthier society as a whole, but only for a short time.

You're being very objective there, Barry? But sadly, you make some valid points, even if you'd be excommunicated from life on social media for saying what is patently the truth with regard to not knowing the medical condition of many of those who have died, or how much longer they may have had left to live anyway.

What is troubling is the wild "estimations" from what ought to be responsible experts, from half a million dying to half the population being hospitalised at some point, to the disease lasting years. When all this is over, those who made these "estimates", should be made to fecking justify what they've said, after all the wild panic and (ill)informed opinion they helped create or influence.

And talking about when all this is over, as it surely will be (and with nowhere fecking near half a million dead), then the huge financial cost of shutting society down is going to become starkly apparent (as it already should be to anyone with half a brain). Its already being estimated as more damaging than the 2008/9 financial crises, and many believe it will cause far worse and irrecoverable damage. What happens when the next crises arrives? What happens when an actual financial crisis then strikes, with economies already multiple trillions of dollars in public debt and with interests rates at zero percent already? Where will the fecking lifeboats be then?

I sincerely hope the younger generation, the gig economy, zero hours contract, renting generation, who are going to be forced to foot that horrendous cost for the rest of their fecking lives, do not see this as them bailing out an old peoples "disease". I could easily understand why they might think that way, particularly as many already felt that the Boomer generation had it all handed to them on a silver service, multiple home owners, many with gold plated pensions, retired early on the taxpayer. In six to 12 months time, when the younger generation begin realise what it means for their future, don't expect this to go away because it won't. The older generation better understand that there is going to be an enormous cost to pay for all this and they better be prepared for even more difficult decisions for every government down the line, including everyone having to pay far more tax, as well as doubt over the state pension in future.

Sick of this sh*t already. I haven't been on for a while because in the last 8 days, I haven't worked less than 12 hours a day because of this utter fiasco, and on at least two days have worked 14 hours a day. Its absolute fecking chaos.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell post_id=19496 time=1585153196 user_id=48
Well that's destroyed the idea it only kills old people or those with underlying health issues,sadly a young fit 21 year old has succumbed to the virus.

I wonder if she was  smoker? (Serious question.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: cromwell post_id=19496 time=1585153196 user_id=48
Well that's destroyed the idea it only kills old people or those with underlying health issues,sadly a young fit 21 year old has succumbed to the virus.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-briton-21-with-no-existing-health-conditions-dies-after-contracting-covid-19-11963451">//https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-briton-21-with-no-existing-health-conditions-dies-after-contracting-covid-19-11963451

Until she has had a post mortem it doesn't, she may have an unknown pre-existing health issue.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-briton-21-with-no-existing-health-conditions-dies-after-contracting-covid-19-11963451">//https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-briton-21-with-no-existing-health-conditions-dies-after-contracting-covid-19-11963451
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=19366 time=1585043628 user_id=51
Really? I thought you were all ready to go to France till you got blocked.

My  wife and I have PPE kit and intended going straight to the cabin disinfecting it and not leaving it until arrival.

(The cabins have fresh air ventilation not recirculated.

I could have self isolated in our mobile home with no problems as at this time of year there is no-one on the site and an electronic key is needed to get on and off the site.

However we had to cancel at short notice because of regulations far more severe than those imposed by Boris were imposed by the French government.

(Fortunately those were emailed to us late on the Saturday night.)

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=19356 time=1585035811 user_id=89
I isolated myself weeks ago, it was obvious what was coming.

Really? I thought you were all ready to go to France till you got blocked.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: "Bright Young Thing" post_id=19329 time=1584996642 user_id=49
So we're now in complete lockdown, it was to be expected. I just hope everyone now understands the importance of this and complies. We need to be safe.

I isolated myself weeks ago, it was obvious what was coming.

Bright Young Thing

So we're now in complete lockdown, it was to be expected. I just hope everyone now understands the importance of this and complies. We need to be safe.
<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>

Scott777

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=19232 time=1584907749 user_id=103
That doesn't mean I've become a Tory convert though, far from it.

Does it mean you were a Tory all along?   ;)
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=19256 time=1584972068 user_id=54
 Have driving tests stopped?

Apart from exception circumstances they have been stopped:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-driving-tests-and-theory-tests">https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... eory-tests">https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-driving-tests-and-theory-tests

T00ts

I live in a fairly quiet area with little traffic so needless to say it's ideal for learner drivers. Many driving schools seem to use our roads but I was surprised that they are still going strong today. Shouldn't they be stopping if for no other reason than they can't keep their distance. Have driving tests stopped?

Nalaar

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=19232 time=1584907749 user_id=103
One thing I will say . . .

In the past I've been a harsh critic of Boris Johnson over Brexit and over his suitability for No.10. I've was also critical of his government's seemingly flippant attitude to the coronavirus situation in UK at the beginning.  

Now though, strict measures have been introduced and he seems to have taken on the role of a proper national leader, with the daily press conferences etc.  Let's hope he follows the right policy regarding the pandemic. That doesn't mean I've become a Tory convert though, far from it.

Better late than never, it's just a shame it took him so long to get here.
Don't believe everything you think.

Barry

^^ Ducky, have you checked your temperature, it seems you might have a fever!  ;)
† The end is nigh †

Hyperduck Quack Quack

One thing I will say . . .

In the past I've been a harsh critic of Boris Johnson over Brexit and over his suitability for No.10. I've was also critical of his government's seemingly flippant attitude to the coronavirus situation in UK at the beginning.  

Now though, strict measures have been introduced and he seems to have taken on the role of a proper national leader, with the daily press conferences etc.  Let's hope he follows the right policy regarding the pandemic. That doesn't mean I've become a Tory convert though, far from it.