Latest Chinese export - coronavirus COVID-19

Started by Barry, January 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=18731 time=1584314491 user_id=59
Quite right.  Which means the figures being thrown around are in fact the extreme limits, i.e. 2% fatality rate is the maximal rate.

Not for the over 70s, where it close to 8%.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=18729 time=1584310608 user_id=103

Meanwhile the best we can be told here in UK is that coronavirus here will last until next spring and 7.9 million people will be hospitalised.  

Which, since we have only 168,000 hospital beds in the UK means 50 patients per bed.

The bloke that gave you those stats Duckie, he didn't have a grin and his fingers crossed behind his back did he?
Algerie Francais !

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=18730 time=1584314316 user_id=59
So then you agree that the actual cases can easily be very high indeed.  That would therefore greatly reduce the proportion of deaths.

From the point of view of an individual's own health, getting the virus but never developing symptoms is much the same as not getting the virus at all.

The only difference is that an asymptomatic infected person can still pass the virus to other people, who might become ill, whereas someone who's not infected can't.  What I guess most people worry about is the number of people becoming ill, the number becoming seriously ill and the number dying.

Scott777

Quote from: Barry post_id=18717 time=1584303738 user_id=51
That accounts for the differences. Some regimes can count, others can't.

We can only count those that are tested. There must be many others with mild symptoms who can't be bothered to speak to a robot on 111.

So we can't say how many are actually infected.

Quite right.  Which means the figures being thrown around are in fact the extreme limits, i.e. 2% fatality rate is the maximal rate.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=18722 time=1584305681 user_id=103
We have to go with the statistics we're given. Confirmed cases, I assume, are people who have presented to the NHS with symptoms.  They say people with mild symptoms often don't seek medical help so they presumably go unrecorded.

One report found that on the Diamond Princess cruise liner, where they tested everyone for COVID-19, just over half of those who tested positive had no symptoms and never became ill.  But asymptomatic cases can still be infectious, whether they are people yet to become ill or people who never get the illness.  The report believed that in the coronavirus pandemic in general, the number of asymptomatic cases who don't get ill is less than the 50.5% on Diamond Princess - more like 20 - 30%. Don't ask me why, I have no idea.

So then you agree that the actual cases can easily be very high indeed.  That would therefore greatly reduce the proportion of deaths.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Just seen that Ohio and Illinois are going into lockdown.  

Meanwhile the best we can be told here in UK is that coronavirus here will last until next spring and 7.9 million people will be hospitalised.  

In China and South Korea, where stringent restrictions have been in place for longest, the number of new cases and deaths has reduced - in the case of China it's reduced drastically - fewer people died from the virus in China today than in UK.

Lockdowns are being introduced all around the world and all eyes are on Italy to see if new cases begin to trend downwards over the  next two weeks.

All our government can do is tell us how bad it's going to get.  All that stuff Boris Johnson said a few weeks ago about making Britain the greatest country on earth and his government seems to have abandoned the British people to suffering on a third world scale.

For all the faults of previous governments, I believe they would all have followed the best advice and done their utmost to help the people.  Not this lot, not yet anyway.

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Quote from: Barry post_id=18717 time=1584303738 user_id=51

We can only count those that are tested. There must be many others with mild symptoms who can't be bothered to speak to a robot on 111.

We have to go with the statistics we're given. Confirmed cases, I assume, are people who have presented to the NHS with symptoms.  They say people with mild symptoms often don't seek medical help so they presumably go unrecorded.

One report found that on the Diamond Princess cruise liner, where they tested everyone for COVID-19, just over half of those who tested positive had no symptoms and never became ill.  But asymptomatic cases can still be infectious, whether they are people yet to become ill or people who never get the illness.  The report believed that in the coronavirus pandemic in general, the number of asymptomatic cases who don't get ill is less than the 50.5% on Diamond Princess - more like 20 - 30%. Don't ask me why, I have no idea.

Barry

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=18713 time=1584302983 user_id=59
I have obviously looked at the stats, but me being very stupid, I hope you can explain what they mean.  In the UK, what is "total cases"?  Is it cases of people tested for Coronavirus, or cases of people with the virus?

† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=18709 time=1584301935 user_id=103
Have you even looked at any statistics? China is the most comprehensive example. China total cases as of today 80,849, number of deaths 3,199.  With calculator I worked that out as 3.9% death rate.  UK total cases as of today 1372, number of deaths 35, that's 2.5%.  Italy 24,747 cases, deaths 1.809 - so a high death rate of 7.3%

I don't suppose you'll bother reading past the first sentence but others will and that will highlight your attitude.

If you want to see the daily statistics for yourself, see. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/">https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

So that means that as China has a population of about 1,400 billions, the chance of being carried away by the Peking Pox is about 1 in 400,000.

Translate that to the UK and we should expect the UK's death rate to be about 162. And that ain't a lot.
Algerie Francais !

Scott777

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=18709 time=1584301935 user_id=103
Have you even looked at any statistics? China is the most comprehensive example. China total cases as of today 80,849, number of deaths 3,199.  With calculator I worked that out as 3.9% death rate.  UK total cases as of today 1372, number of deaths 35, that's 2.5%.  Italy 24,747 cases, deaths 1.809 - so a high death rate of 7.3%

I don't suppose you'll bother reading past the first sentence but others will and that will highlight your attitude.

If you want to see the daily statistics for yourself, see. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/">https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I have obviously looked at the stats, but me being very stupid, I hope you can explain what they mean.  In the UK, what is "total cases"?  Is it cases of people tested for Coronavirus, or cases of people with the virus?

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=18688 time=1584293786 user_id=59
I didn't bother reading past the 2nd sentence.  Do you have any evidence at all that this is the death rate?

Scott777

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=18643 time=1584280916 user_id=103
You still think that?  COVID-19 has a death rate of something like 1 in 50.

I didn't bother reading past the 2nd sentence.  Do you have any evidence at all that this is the death rate?

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Packs of toilet rolls are bulky items so it doesn't take many of the big 16-roll or 12-roll packs to fill their allotted shelf space.  So it doesn't take that big an increase in demand to empty the shelves quite quickly.  Once all the big packs are gone then the smaller ones get snapped up too.  Then, when people see the shelves are nearly empty, they think perhaps they should stock up too.

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell post_id=18673 time=1584289018 user_id=48
I remember when they were thrown at the footie,do that now and there'd be  pitch invasion to get it.

:D  :D  :D

By God that is true isn't it? I would love to see that on the news !
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell post_id=18673 time=1584289018 user_id=48
I remember when they were thrown at the footie,do that now and there'd be  pitch invasion to get it.

i know cromwell.

Sad though isnt it? imagine panic buying feckin bog roll.

:lol:  :-?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!