Latest Chinese export - coronavirus COVID-19

Started by Barry, January 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=18313 time=1583863059 user_id=53
:hattip

As we more or less have the blueprint on whats going to happen I would agree with the above . Preparing for would be a problem though . Can you imagine Tescos tomorrow if they  said lockdown starts on Saturday .

In Italy they are only letting a few people into supermarkets at a time. This is to avoid crowding. I would imagine the same happening here and reduced opening hours as much for the staffing sake as anything. We are led to believe we are 2 weeks behind Italy - the shops will be a nightmare in the coming days or until definite plans are revealed.

T00ts

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=18312 time=1583862337 user_id=103
This is no time to play the alpha-signalling tough guy.  Look at the statistics and see for yourself the alarming way things are going in Italy.  Lockdowns in China and South Korea seem to have resulted in drastic reductions of new cases.  Now Italy is in lockdown, although one would expect the trends in new cases and deaths to lag behind the measures.  Our government is telling us to expect 'many thousand' cases of COVID19.  Now is the time, surely, to be preventing the spread by bringing some kind of lockdown.  The longer its left, the more people will become seriously ill or die.  Also the longer a lockdown is delayed, the longer it will probably have to be imposed for.

The first SARS was serious but it was brought under control.  The same is true of the ebola outbreaks, at least as for as most of the world is concerned.  Edwina Curry's egg scare might well have been hysteria and thankfully not many people developed CJD as a result of BSE beef either.  But COVID19 is out of the box, it's everywhere on the planet now, just about.  And the full name of the disease caused by COVID19 is 'SARS-CoV-2'.  SARS stands for sudden acute respiratory syndrome.

:hattip  :thup:

Streetwalker

This is no time to play the alpha-signalling tough guy.  Look at the statistics and see for yourself the alarming way things are going in Italy.  Lockdowns in China and South Korea seem to have resulted in drastic reductions of new cases.  Now Italy is in lockdown, although one would expect the trends in new cases and deaths to lag behind the measures.  Our government is telling us to expect 'many thousand' cases of COVID19.  Now is the time, surely, to be preventing the spread by bringing some kind of lockdown.  The longer its left, the more people will become seriously ill or die.  Also the longer a lockdown is delayed, the longer it will probably have to be imposed for.

As we more or less have the blueprint on whats going to happen I would agree with the above . Preparing for would be a problem though . Can you imagine Tescos tomorrow if they  said lockdown starts on Saturday .

Streetwalker

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Quote from: Nick post_id=18308 time=1583853771 user_id=73
Toots, I'm not missing the point, I just don't agree with you.

I don't subscribe to the hysteria and I am going to carry on as normal and not run around like a headless chicken.

First it was BSE and Edwina with her Eggs. Then SARS, Ebola, Bird Flu, Swine Flu ALL going to hit the world in epic proportions. None of it came to pass so what makes this so different?

The first SARS was serious but it was brought under control.  The same is true of the ebola outbreaks, at least as for as most of the world is concerned.  Edwina Curry's egg scare might well have been hysteria and thankfully not many people developed CJD as a result of BSE beef either.  But COVID19 is out of the box, it's everywhere on the planet now, just about.  And the full name of the disease caused by COVID19 is 'SARS-CoV-2'.  SARS stands for sudden acute respiratory syndrome.

cromwell

I don't subscribe to the hysteria and I am going to carry on as normal and not run around like a headless chicken.

First it was BSE and Edwina with her Eggs. Then SARS, Ebola, Bird Flu, Swine Flu ALL going to hit the world in epic proportions. None of it came to pass so what makes this so different?

Fair enough don't agree,but with nearly every other country on the planet taking precautions why other than a gut feeling do you think you are right?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

I agree that all those examples were rehearsals. This is substantially more dangerous which is evident by how it is spreading worldwide and now is on our shores. At present, as far as I know, I don't know anyone personally who has it, but the idea that we should carry on as if nothing was happening, and the description of headless chickens etc isn't exactly helpful to those of us with proven high risk.  I would rather not die if I have the option. Not that I am scared of it but I really would like to be here a bit longer, if only to hear the gung-ho lobby apologise, but there is a very good chance that if someone who happily ignored all the advice was in line to use the ventilator that could otherwise be used for me, survived while I didn't I would be sorely tempted to haunt him for the rest of his natural.

Perhaps when all crowd functions are stopped, other countries forbid us entry and people start dropping around us, those at present in denial might suspect something was a bit amiss. Being an ostrich in this situation is not brave, it's just a tad ignorant.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts post_id=18275 time=1583830282 user_id=54
Again you are missing the point. It is a numbers game. It's not how many will die, it's how many will die without respiratory care. It is how many can we put on oxygen to give them time to heal their lung infection.  After 60  some say 40, very many people have some sort of debility even if they don't know or have no diagnosis. It's wear and tear. It's only later in life that it becomes medically evident. The NHS is currently buying ventilators and they admitted in the Commons yesterday that they had no idea how many they would need. They simply said 'more'. The notion of those who will suffer little being the norm is not what they are worried about. It is having enough facility to treat those who won't just bounce through it. This will include kids with asthma, smokers, as well as the older population.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Not much chance of social distancing in Croydon . Met a pal for a pint last night and after the customary fist pump ,(its been a local thing for some years ),we kept our yard apart at the bar while having a louder than usual chat .

Of course as the bar filled up we found people coming into the gap and at one point had six or seven people between us ,the conversation went from loud to ended as we were swamped by the mob , drowned under the drunken wave of Croydon's finest drinkers .

One thing I did notice was there was an unusually  longer que for the sink than the urinal , there was actually some soap in the dispenser ,and the drier was working  for  a change .  

Maybe there is hope for mankind yet .

Streetwalker

Well it looks increasingly likely that we are not going to get the chance

Virgin are reporting though that they are flying with near on empty planes as under European law if they don't operate they will loose their slots at  airports .

Probably why Easy are still flying to Italy and back  and saying no to refunds .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51809318">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51809318

I suppose the governments tactics of delaying a major outbreak for as long as possible will effect the plans for the  spring and even summer vacations . The Easter breaks look particularly at risk to confusion with  all routes staying open but destinations closed so to speak .  Action from above required me thinks , that's no 10 not JC by the way  though even his intervention would be welcome at this time .

Sampanviking

Quote from: T00ts post_id=18236 time=1583763899 user_id=54
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Well Science hasn't got this virus sussed yet so not much hope for the Mods eh!!

We can all take comfort from the knowledge that these fearless and tireless front line operatives, will discharge their duties without a thought of their personal risk.

Barry

Just prior to 31 minutes in this video:

Matt Hancock says digital consultations will be brought in with immediate effect.

Social distancing for the doctor's surgery staff.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=18289 time=1583843732 user_id=51
I thought you said "So sodding what"!

You are in a high risk group, if you get it. So you are taking precautions against what you flippantly call the Peking pox.

Italy have 463 dead now, that will be us in 2 weeks time. But "so sodding what".

Have you got any whisky at the allotment?  :lol:

If we end up like Italy which currently has 463 dead, the deaths from flu will nearly equal those caused by the lads in London's Tottenham stabbing each other over the weekend.

I haven't got any whisky because the gardener drank the last lot. But I have been thinking about getting a cider press....

Keep thinking Barry, I like the way this is going  :D
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: Borchester post_id=18284 time=1583837382 user_id=62
I admit I have an interest in this. Common sense suggests that this bug is spread by crowds, so I intend to spend the rest of March in purdah, on my allotment and doing what I usually do there which is not much of anything while listening to Classic FM

I thought you said "So sodding what"!

You are in a high risk group, if you get it. So you are taking precautions against what you flippantly call the Peking pox.

Italy have 463 dead now, that will be us in 2 weeks time. But "so sodding what".

Have you got any whisky at the allotment?  :lol:
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: Barry post_id=18287 time=1583843403 user_id=51
It's that sort of attitude and response which will result in chaos. We are 13 days behind Italy, so we can expect drastic measures her by about 21st March.

France and Germany are only 9 days behind Italy, so expect them to be locked down a few days before.

Wouldn't it have been better to have ordered the closure of all schools and nurseries yesterday? This is a risk assessment game, it didn't go well for Italy. Why our government thinks we can deal with it better, escapes me.

Well it's the keep calm and carry on approach,more or less what they did with the Spanish flu in full knowledge of the consequences,can't put people first can we?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?