Latest Chinese export - coronavirus COVID-19

Started by Barry, January 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: cromwell post_id=18152 time=1583653879 user_id=48
So the Chinese authorities  who usually have no problem in doing so need to get a grip?

The medical people on tv last night who say the potential for a a quarter to one million deaths in a relatively short period should get a grip,how many people die of the common cold each year in this country?

3000 people die from Flu in the UK every year.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: Nick post_id=18151 time=1583629977 user_id=73
This virus is about 2% more infective than the common cold with a mortality rate of about 1% more than the common cold.

WTF are you people worried about? If you're in the group that is likely to be killed by Covid 19 then you were not destined for too long on this earth anyway. Get a f**king grip people, it's a cold virus.⁸

You are understating the threat. Some are overstating the threat, I know, but this is not a cold virus. it is a very infectious virus that goes straight for the lungs and tries to drown you in your own secretions.

There are several aspects of this which are worrying the authorities:

Asymptomatic spread.

Apparent lack of immunity after having the disease and tested negative. Some people have died suddenly after being cleared and found to have the virus again. Perhaps it can hide?

The WHO say the death rate is 3%. Our health experts say 1%. Common colds don't kill, influenza occasionally does (0.1% 1 in a thousand).

This is 10-30 times more deadly than the flu.

The argument that it's just old and infirm who die doesn't really fly, because of the previously healthy ophthalmologist in China dying after discovering the disease. Having said that the average age of dying people is said to be around 71.

Lack of immunity after infection has to be one of the worst aspects of this nasty little bug which can't be seen, can't always be detected, but is deadly in too many cases to ignore. That's why I'd be happy for all flights between infected countries to stop.

I understand that many flights are now going empty, just to keep their allocated slots, as if they are not used, they can lose them. That has to stop!
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: Nick post_id=18151 time=1583629977 user_id=73
This virus is about 2% more infective than the common cold with a mortality rate of about 1% more than the common cold.

WTF are you people worried about? If you're in the group that is likely to be killed by Covid 19 then you were not destined for too long on this earth anyway. Get a f**king grip people, it's a cold virus.⁸

So the Chinese authorities  who usually have no problem in doing so need to get a grip?

The medical people on tv last night who say the potential for a a quarter to one million deaths in a relatively short period should get a grip,how many people die of the common cold each year in this country?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

WTF are you people worried about? If you're in the group that is likely to be killed by Covid 19 then you were not destined for too long on this earth anyway. Get a fucking grip people, it's a cold virus.⁸
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester post_id=18144 time=1583596305 user_id=62
Wonderful creatures nurses. Full of warmth and compassion. Until they start nursing. Then it is take this and buck up and we will have you back on your feet in no time. And you are thinking well, actually dolly, I don't want to buck up. I just want to lie here and go pleasantly to pieces but they won't have it.

My Mum didn't have that excuse. Just an impatient nature.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=18137 time=1583583816 user_id=89
I am married to a nurse, I get similar treatment when ill.

Wonderful creatures nurses. Full of warmth and compassion. Until they start nursing. Then it is take this and buck up and we will have you back on your feet in no time. And you are thinking well, actually dolly, I don't want to buck up. I just want to lie here and go pleasantly to pieces but they won't have it.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=18137 time=1583583816 user_id=89

Ditto.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

True, but to be fair, the experts are saying the genie is out of the bottle, so to speak. It will not go back in.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester post_id=18138 time=1583584585 user_id=62
What? No Tizer or Fry's Five Boys bars or copies of the Beano or Dandy?  Medicine really went backwards after my time.

That's not the half of it. No magazines, no Annuals, no fizzy drinks - they expected me to be a high flyer so there was little time for frivolities. Looking back I don't think it really mattered although at times I wished...

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts post_id=18134 time=1583582855 user_id=54
I had Asian flu and was ill for weeks. Camphor oil (is that the spelling?) rubbed on chest and back, usually by Mum's rough no nonsense hands that made my skin raw. Coughing for England made worse by Mum stomping into my room in the middle of the night with little sympathy and no bedside manner and spoons of foul tasting unction! I think I'll opt for lock-down this time!   :roll:

What? No Tizer or Fry's Five Boys bars or copies of the Beano or Dandy?  Medicine really went backwards after my time.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=18134 time=1583582855 user_id=54
Coughing for England made worse by Mum stomping into my room in the middle of the night with little sympathy and no bedside manner and spoons of foul tasting unction! I think I'll opt for lock-down this time!   :roll:

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=18131 time=1583581203 user_id=51
Actually it was a woman in Berkshire and an 88 year old man in Milton Keynes.

At some stage or another they will have to stop trying to count the infected and tracing contacts. The experts admit they have lost control and that anyone, anywhere might have it. He also said it's no joke as they can't predict how any individual will handle it.

Keep calm and carry on. Be sensible.

It gets worse. The family are saying that for 6-7 hours they had left him in an ordinary ward with sick patients and visitors and staff with no protection. So much for the NHS excellence of skills in dealing with highly contagious infection situations.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=18128 time=1583580295 user_id=51
Keep away from these as they could spread a virus.

Uuggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!  Clean that child up - don't stand there taking pictures!   :barf:

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester post_id=18130 time=1583580544 user_id=62
:hattip

I have to admit Barry, you do have a point. I go back to the Asian flu and great smogs of the the 50s and relatives coughing and choking and gasping for air and taking deep, satisfying drags on their fags that took the smoke right down to their toes and, I was assured, really cleared their chests. Kids got a dollop of Vicks Vapour Rub on their chests, under their noses and for some reason know only to God and my mum, on their foreheads. Plus comics, sweets and forever off school.

In those days epidemics were fun  :D

I had Asian flu and was ill for weeks. Camphor oil (is that the spelling?) rubbed on chest and back, usually by Mum's rough no nonsense hands that made my skin raw. Coughing for England made worse by Mum stomping into my room in the middle of the night with little sympathy and no bedside manner and spoons of foul tasting unction! I think I'll opt for lock-down this time!   :roll:

T00ts

That bug is really bugging me!   :kikass: