Latest Chinese export - coronavirus COVID-19

Started by Barry, January 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

My neighbours are in their 80s and not particularly well. I met the husband on my way out yesterday and mentioned the virus situation to him. At first he wasn't sure what I was referring to and when asked if they were being careful said that they hadn't really given it much thought. In any case as far as washing his hands was concerned he wasn't worried because he always did the washing up. His parting shot was that if he got it he would stay away from me. Now he goes out each day by car to buy his paper from Tescos but presumably doesn't read it. Bless him!

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester post_id=18112 time=1583548751 user_id=62
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/06/elderly-people-warned-stay-indoors-avoid-infection-second-coronavirus/">//https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/06/elderly-people-warned-stay-indoors-avoid-infection-second-coronavirus/%20%20

What a load of bollocks. Two dead and 164 infected out of a population of 65 millions. Wow, it is the new Black death. let us all run around like headless fvcking chickens.

The casualty rate is higher when they clear out the Kilburn High Road pubs on Saturday night.

For now and I hope you're right,but China didn't go to all the lengths it did for nothing and Italy isn't a place I'd visit right now.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Whilst the panic is getting stupid, myself being in the "Waiting for God," age group, I am taking precautions.

My biggest "at risk," time will be travelling on a cross channel ferry in the near future, but we always have a cabin any risk can be minimised.

I did notice when booking the ferry trips, all the "luxury" cabins are taken. That does not effect me as we always book a cabin near the centre of the ship as there is much less movement in bad weather.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/06/elderly-people-warned-stay-indoors-avoid-infection-second-coronavirus/">//https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/06/elderly-people-warned-stay-indoors-avoid-infection-second-coronavirus/%20%20

What a load of bollocks. Two dead and 164 infected out of a population of 65 millions. Wow, it is the new Black death. let us all run around like headless fvcking chickens.

The casualty rate is higher when they clear out the Kilburn High Road pubs on Saturday night.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Well, I'm in Swanage, doing my bit to make the south coast a hotbed of the plague...

But here's the thing

The B&B which is usually full this week is only half full. From my freelance days, I had a habit no matter of where I went, noting what B&Bs werecaround and whether they had vacancies. In case i was needed back on business in a hurry

And during swanage blues weekend there wasnt usually a spare room to be had

This year there isnt a full.b&b in the town
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Barry post_id=18045 time=1583414926 user_id=51
You perhaps have a phobia. It may be unreasonable as flying is statistically much safer than driving, but you're not in control.

I just hate being treated like stupid sheep at check-in and all that palava. And sharing the atmosphere with possibly fatally contagious people for hours with the air circulating through filters that don't get changed enough.  :barf:

A downside of the smoking ban is that the air doesn't get changed as frequently either...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Quote from: Borchester post_id=18043 time=1583414489 user_id=62
Well that has solved that.

We all have to die but I am buggered if I am going to do it trapped in an aeroplane with duckie's low calorie whingeing in my ear.

I guess you prefer high calorie full-fat whingeing.

Barry

I just saw on the BBC news site that an old man with other health problems has died in Berkshire with COVID-19 and this was in Berkshire.

He was only tested positive yesterday.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: cromwell post_id=18026 time=1583366619 user_id=48
Well you are right to be concerned about your mum,however this doesn't bear out with what you say in the rest of your post https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/04/move-to-weekly-uk-coronavirus-updates-criticised-by-experts">//https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/04/move-to-weekly-uk-coronavirus-updates-criticised-by-experts poor decision IMO.

I posted : According to my Mum**, a nurse, NHS front line staff and carers are being kept up to speed on the developing situation and how to respond — the elderly and people with existing health problems are specifically addressed.

The Guardian is addressing the different question of "sharing the data as much as possible, to make the public equal partners in tackling this and help them make decisions about their own lives. The public needs to know if it's in their area on a daily basis"

I tend to agree that the figures should be released as they are known. But I'm not confident the information wouldn't be misused by some members of the public (your link):

The NASUWT, one of the largest teaching unions in the UK, urged the government to address a surge in incidents of racism and xenophobia in schools linked to coronavirus. The union said it has received increased reports of black and minority ethnic teachers and pupils being subjected to "racist name-calling and intimidation" connected to the Covid-19 outbreak.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-cctv-images-released-of-men-wanted-over-racist-attack-on-student-on-londons-oxford-street-11949325">https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... t-11949325">https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-cctv-images-released-of-men-wanted-over-racist-attack-on-student-on-londons-oxford-street-11949325
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=18039 time=1583411128 user_id=103
I don't like flying anyway and so the bar is set pretty low for any reason not to fly.

The test I'd apply to other activities like going to an event are whether the risk of catching COVID19 by doing so is as great as the risk of being involved in an accident on the way or the venue catching fire.  But there's also the 'herd' responsibility of reducing risk to others to consider.

You perhaps have a phobia. It may be unreasonable as flying is statistically much safer than driving, but you're not in control.

I just hate being treated like stupid sheep at check-in and all that palava. And sharing the atmosphere with possibly fatally contagious people for hours with the air circulating through filters that don't get changed enough.  :barf:
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

I don't like flying anyway and so the bar is set pretty low for any reason not to fly.

The test I'd apply to other activities like going to an event are whether the risk of catching COVID19 by doing so is as great as the risk of being involved in an accident on the way or the venue catching fire.  But there's also the 'herd' responsibility of reducing risk to others to consider.

Well that has solved that.

We all have to die but I am buggered if I am going to do it trapped in an aeroplane with duckie's low calorie whingeing in my ear.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

I feel that it won't be long before you will have no idea what the risks are. At the moment they can give us numbers but already they freely admit that those who have little or no symptoms are already out there. Containment has already begun to fail. Within days/weeks the numbers will be impossible and at that point we have to consider not how ill we personally might be but who we will infect either directly or indirectly. Couple that with the admitted limit on the NHS of intensive care availability then the degree of difficulty to treat becomes clear. Although they try to hide it I am convinced that the Government and medical profession are very worried. eg In my own immediate family there are at least 15 who would qualify as high risk.

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=18033 time=1583403238 user_id=89
The nearest town to me has had empty streets for years.

Still recovering from the great Asian Flu pandemic of 1958-1962 I dare say. I remember happy fantasies of my school being closed down and the GCEs of Christmas 1961 being cancelled, but it was not to be. :cry:
Algerie Francais !