Latest Chinese export - coronavirus COVID-19

Started by Barry, January 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM

« previous - next »

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Quote from: T00ts post_id=17911 time=1583189685 user_id=54
I did hear comment some days ago that one of the reasons for the delay tactics is to try and prevent two or more viruses meeting and mutating together. Trouble is there is so much fake info around it's hard to make sense of much of it.

Not just fake info but speculative info from experts who can only talk in possibilities. That doesn't make the info invalid though.

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=17924 time=1583230717 user_id=63
It's a VERY long swim to Zante.

:lol:  :lol: There's nowt as determined as a desperate man!

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts post_id=17923 time=1583230570 user_id=54
On the other hand you might not find any space in Greece if Turkey has its way.  :roll:

It's a VERY long swim to Zante.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=17914 time=1583193806 user_id=63
same here - WELL, i coulc cancel now and just lose my £120 deposit and face the wrath of Mrs JoG for mucking up our 39th wedding anniversary...

but as that is not until september, by which time this will either have blown itself out, or be the 21st century's black death and the final payment is not due until july ...

I'm more concerned about reports an iranian cleric at the heart of the outbreak there is telling people painting their arse with oil of violet will cause a miracle cure.

On the other hand you might not find any space in Greece if Turkey has its way.  :roll:

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry post_id=17881 time=1583161801 user_id=51
We're booked to go to Greece later this year and will cancel it only if the government advises against travel. Otherwise we'll lose a lot of money as it is all paid for.

same here - WELL, i coulc cancel now and just lose my £120 deposit and face the wrath of Mrs JoG for mucking up our 39th wedding anniversary...

but as that is not until september, by which time this will either have blown itself out, or be the 21st century's black death and the final payment is not due until july ...

I'm more concerned about reports an iranian cleric at the heart of the outbreak there is telling people painting their arse with oil of violet will cause a miracle cure.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=17908 time=1583188662 user_id=53
I don't know that one virus would make another worse . I think we need a medical input on that one . Im guessing your  unlikely to catch a second virus as whos going to come near you if you are coughing and sneezing and at home in your fartsack ?

I did hear comment some days ago that one of the reasons for the delay tactics is to try and prevent two or more viruses meeting and mutating together. Trouble is there is so much fake info around it's hard to make sense of much of it.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=17907 time=1583188453 user_id=51
I think it might be too late, but I think all but essential travel on aircraft should be banned, immediately.

As PP said, aircraft are notorious as Petri dishes for bacteria and viruses, so the possibility of an unknown carrier infecting 100 or more flyers is high.

Either the government take this seriously, or they don't.

Their first consideration is the economy. There would be more concern I feel if it was going to kill the 30-50yr olds. It's depressing but over 60 and you have really lost your usefulness and we are told repeatedly that the steady increase in retired people is a problem.

Streetwalker

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=17906 time=1583186855 user_id=103
They say the biggest risk is to people with underlying health problems such as heart disease, asthma or diabetes.  I'm wondering if people who happen to be suffering from 'flu or even just a common cold would be at significantly greater risk of becoming seriously ill if they get COVID19 in addition.

I don't know that one virus would make another worse . I think we need a medical input on that one . Im guessing your  unlikely to catch a second virus as whos going to come near you if you are coughing and sneezing and at home in your fartsack ?

Barry

I think it might be too late, but I think all but essential travel on aircraft should be banned, immediately.

As PP said, aircraft are notorious as Petri dishes for bacteria and viruses, so the possibility of an unknown carrier infecting 100 or more flyers is high.

Either the government take this seriously, or they don't.
† The end is nigh †

Hyperduck Quack Quack

They say the biggest risk is to people with underlying health problems such as heart disease, asthma or diabetes.  I'm wondering if people who happen to be suffering from 'flu or even just a common cold would be at significantly greater risk of becoming seriously ill if they get COVID19 in addition.

T00ts

Quote from: Nick post_id=17895 time=1583169246 user_id=73
Italy and Estonia were for work. NY is for the wife's Birthday.

I think I've actually had it already. Nose was a bit itchy, sneezing, sore throat and bit chesty. Only lasted a couple of days though, which I thought was a bit short for a cold.

That seems to be the problem. You don't know and nor does anyone else. If it was you may well have passed it on. Incubation is such a long time. It's very difficult.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts post_id=17893 time=1583168753 user_id=54
Presumably that's for work rather than rest.

Italy and Estonia were for work. NY is for the wife's Birthday.

I think I've actually had it already. Nose was a bit itchy, sneezing, sore throat and bit chesty. Only lasted a couple of days though, which I thought was a bit short for a cold.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Im not cancelling what Ive got in the pipeline but I don't think I will be arranging anything else until this has blown over .  Don't fancy getting stuck in a foreign hotel under lockdown for a fortnight or more rather than  worried about the flight itself .

T00ts

Quote from: Nick post_id=17889 time=1583167356 user_id=73
Came back from Genoa 3 weeks ago and Estonia 8 days ago. I personally think the worlds gone mad, yet another thing that's supposedly going to kills us like BSE, Swine flu, SARS, Ebola.

I'll be still going to New York on Friday unless the government ban a travel.

Presumably that's for work rather than rest.

papasmurf

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=17884 time=1583165414 user_id=70

As an aside — our office has just received bulk orders of bacterial wipes and hand sanitizer gel and we're being invited to take some home...

That is why  I am having problems buying them!!!!!!!!!
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe