Latest Chinese export - coronavirus COVID-19

Started by Barry, January 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Came back from Genoa 3 weeks ago and Estonia 8 days ago. I personally think the worlds gone mad, yet another thing that's supposedly going to kills us like BSE, Swine flu, SARS, Ebola.

I'll be still going to New York on Friday unless the government ban a travel.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

No one can be blamed for being ultra cautious. On the other hand daily life has to continue. Personally, I wouldn't fly at this time without finding out what I could do to to protect me and mine, as the air conditioning on aircraft is notorious at spreading all sorts of nasties — that's why peanuts are now hardly offered.

We're travelling later this month, but that'll be by car and le Shuttle so we have every chance to take care. This is one time when travel insurance is a must — not only for cancellations but for additional costs if we get stuck because of travel clamp downs.

As an aside — our office has just received bulk orders of bacterial wipes and hand sanitizer gel and we're being invited to take some home...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=17881 time=1583161801 user_id=51
We're booked to go to Greece later this year and will cancel it only if the government advises against travel. Otherwise we'll lose a lot of money as it is all paid for.

Hopefully by then the crisis will have passed. I have a feeling my two are hoping the same, but the Government hasn't moved with much speed thus far. I guess things can change. (Fingers crossed)

Barry

We're booked to go to Greece later this year and will cancel it only if the government advises against travel. Otherwise we'll lose a lot of money as it is all paid for.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

I have both my kid's booked to go on holiday this month. One at a hotel all in via Tui to Lanzarote followed by the other to Courcheval skiing self catering.

Both partners are still set on going, both of mine - very risk averse like me - are prepared to let it go and stay home. Would you go?

As an aside I am their dog minder of choice. As I return the one I have the other. My worst case scenario is that I end up with either or both of them either unable to get back, or quarantined and I end up with both dogs and I get ill. Time to invest in a crystal ball methinks.   :roll:

T00ts

I was very concerned for a few days and not sleeping well having been told I was a very high risk candidate. Then it occurred to me that it was a real waste worrying about it. I will take as many steps as possible to avoid contact with people in general but as a recorded believer I realised that actually there was little to worry about. I just need to prepare as much as possible to make the kids' life easier should it happen.

cromwell

Greater Manchester too now,oh well fingers crossed.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

We're coming to Dundee in August for a family wedding. Hopefully it will all be over by then.
† The end is nigh †

Bright Young Thing

Scotland now has it's first confirmed case, up in Dundee.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51698366">//https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51698366
<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>

Barry

This should calm people down a bit.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ER-aPJxX0AItqGy?format=jpg&name=medium">
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=17673 time=1582844075 user_id=51
Israel have given advice to refrain from any international travel and to quarantine all people returning from Italian trips for 14 days.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-unprecedented-move-israelis-advised-to-avoid-all-travel-over-virus-fears/">//https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-unprecedented-move-israelis-advised-to-avoid-all-travel-over-virus-fears/

They do not believe the virus is containable, yet seem to be making attemps to either contain it or minimise the spread.

The world needs a vaccine against this ASAP. There have been many cases reported of people who were recovered testing positive for a second time, suggesting that after having the virus people are either, 1. still carrying it, or 2. not immune after recovery.

New cases are now reported in Greece, Austria, Switzerland and Croatia, and as Borchester posts in a new thread, Northern Ireland.

I read something earlier (now I can't find it again) that said that they have discovered a protein in the virus. Initially it is fairly mild but it needs something that some of us have when we have underlying illness which prompts it to attach itself to body/lung cells. So where it might seem fairly mild initially later it will hit with a vengeance as it replicates and explodes into the passages etc in the lungs depositing debris which clogs them up. This causes lack of oxygen and eventually organ failure and ultimately death. It's not quick so the deaths we have heard of so far may not be the whole story.

The fact that it is contagious before symptoms show makes it impossible to contain. The various governments are trying to delay it as much as they can trying to give scientists enough time to come up with an answer, avoid two viruses joining together by contact with another flu virus, and also in the hope that warmer weather might stop it. With it now in Africa etc that seems unlikely.

It didn't make cheerful reading.

PS I have just picked this up from a USA site that I am on from someone who seems to have access to some detail. Pause for thought.

239 new cases and 8 new deaths in Italy. Among the 1,049 active cases, 401 (38%) are hospitalized, and 105 (10%) are in intensive care. Among the 79 closed cases, 50 (63%) have recovered, 29 (37%) have died.

One of the three new cases today is 9 miles from me.   :shock:

Barry

Israel have given advice to refrain from any international travel and to quarantine all people returning from Italian trips for 14 days.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-unprecedented-move-israelis-advised-to-avoid-all-travel-over-virus-fears/">//https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-unprecedented-move-israelis-advised-to-avoid-all-travel-over-virus-fears/

They do not believe the virus is containable, yet seem to be making attemps to either contain it or minimise the spread.

The world needs a vaccine against this ASAP. There have been many cases reported of people who were recovered testing positive for a second time, suggesting that after having the virus people are either, 1. still carrying it, or 2. not immune after recovery.

New cases are now reported in Greece, Austria, Switzerland and Croatia, and as Borchester posts in a new thread, Northern Ireland.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Yes this is the first winter I have taken off . Got to 60 and  I thought Id treat myself and get the feet done which have been killing me for years .Had a couple of toes that needed pinning, arthritis is a bastard .

There are not many who will get to retirement in the building trade as you say its not really for us oldies but someone's got to show them how to do it .

I'll get back to work when it warms up a bit and hope nobody coughs in my direction .

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=17519 time=1582719090 user_id=53
There was a guy , a doctor rather on the radio at silly o'clock last night (I couldn't sleep with the worry of it all  :-? ) saying that for most people the virus will pass with little effect , a sore throat for a day and a couple of coughs and thats it .  Some or very few actually get the worst of it . bla bla bla

What he did mention though (not a lot of people know this ) is that wearing the mask which seems popular where there is an outbreak is a complete waste of time . If an infected person coughs or sneezes near you the droplets will get into you through your eyes or will settle on your hands or clothes to be transferred later through touching your face ,nose or mouth .

The only good use of the mask is that it should be worn by INFECTED people to minimise the spread of aforementioned coughs and sneezes .

Anyway Ive been off work since before Christmas with the bad weather and was thinking of giving it a go next week . Having been up the road for a pint of milk I realised that global warming is yet to reach these parts and another week or two of self isolation is in order . :thup:

Hello mate thought you'd gone in to semi retirement,building work ain't for the faint hearted,speaking of which I know a bloke who'd been in the trade (brickie) all his life.

In his 50's developed a life threatening heart complaint and couldn't carry on,after being assaulted with a stethoscope by a Dwp vet he was declared fit for work,long battle which didn't help his condition,felt really sorry for him and a victim of the crackdown on a few lazy sods.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

There was a guy , a doctor rather on the radio at silly o'clock last night (I couldn't sleep with the worry of it all  :-? ) saying that for most people the virus will pass with little effect , a sore throat for a day and a couple of coughs and thats it .  Some or very few actually get the worst of it . bla bla bla

What he did mention though (not a lot of people know this ) is that wearing the mask which seems popular where there is an outbreak is a complete waste of time . If an infected person coughs or sneezes near you the droplets will get into you through your eyes or will settle on your hands or clothes to be transferred later through touching your face ,nose or mouth .

The only good use of the mask is that it should be worn by INFECTED people to minimise the spread of aforementioned coughs and sneezes .

Anyway Ive been off work since before Christmas with the bad weather and was thinking of giving it a go next week . Having been up the road for a pint of milk I realised that global warming is yet to reach these parts and another week or two of self isolation is in order . :thup: