Latest Chinese export - coronavirus COVID-19

Started by Barry, January 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Sampanviking

Quote from: Borchester post_id=16598 time=1581778207 user_id=62
From what ? The flu? The Peking Sniffles?

For Christ's sake, act the man.

Actually agree with you on that - the hype and hysteria over this WuFlu is dispiriting.

Time perhaps to watch an old comedy to cheer myself up

Whats this one "One flu over the Cuckoo's Nest" .. maybe I'll leave it....

Borchester

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=16560 time=1581763419 user_id=79

Maybe we will get to see how bad it needs to get over here, before we quarantine London.

From what ? The flu? The Peking Sniffles?

For Christ's sake, act the man.
Algerie Francais !

Sampanviking

Quote from: Borchester post_id=16551 time=1581761380 user_id=62
We shall now pause for a rousing chorus of the East in Red and wave our little Red Books at the cadres as they march off laden with brandy and Lemsip to alleviate the suffering in the worse affected areas.

I can compare modern day China to the China of 50 years ago and the China of 500 years ago and any single party state of any period. The only sure cure for famine and plague is democracy and the Chinese don't have it. Happily Meghan and Harry will probably have another baby or get divorced and the media will dump the Peking Sniffles story and concentrate on something jollier.

I suppose you can compare what you like to whatever you like, but given you have no relevant knowledge of the subject, why would you bother?

I am sure that as someone of your great age will clearly remember, the last time this country was threatened with food insecurity it became an effective one party state with full command economy, tight rationing and a dig for victory policy that would have made the authors of the Great Leap Forward, blush with pride. Not much Democracy in that effort eh?

On the broader point of the media spin "You cannot trust the figures" when you get a real expert talk about this i.e. from the WHO etc, it quickly becomes clear that this refers to not knowing the ratio of severe cases that present in hospital, to those with mild symptoms that recover at home and only think they had the flu.

As other commentators have said, is the biggest criticism being leveled at China, that they did not lock down the country just because somebody presented at a hospital with Pneumonia?

New viruses are discovered all the time, many of them pose little threat to general human health. Identifying the ones that do and determining just how dangerous they are takes time. Again, WHO says the Chinese acted as quickly as anyone could reasonably expect and have taken unprecedented measures to control the spread.

What will we hear next, that China has failed to develop, test, manufacture and distribute a new vaccine to whole population within a fortnight?

Maybe we will get to see how bad it needs to get over here, before we quarantine London.

Borchester

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=16548 time=1581760619 user_id=79
Yeah, but Borkie, you cannot compare the China of 50 years ago to the modern state - which I know bits of very well indeed. To give it a UK perspective, it would be like saying "I know England, I visited it 200 years ago".

Suggest you go back and visit properly before gobbing off again about things you clearly know nothing, currently about.

I have an extensive family in both Hong Kong and throughout Southern China and I get to hear a lot of the news about what is happening, both in their locality and of course throughout the country.

The overwhelming response from the Chinese public has been to pull together in a big patriotic effort, to try and do what they can for those in the worst affected areas. Thousands of Health workers have volunteered to go to Hubei province to try to alleviate the overload on the local system.

It is actually quite moving and I find the constant petty sniping and point scoring from the sneering classes over here, somewhat irritating, especially as these would be the types scrabbling for the lifeboats first, if this situation ever happened over here.

We shall now pause for a rousing chorus of the East in Red and wave our little Red Books at the cadres as they march off laden with brandy and Lemsip to alleviate the suffering in the worse affected areas.

I can compare modern day China to the China of 50 years ago and the China of 500 years ago and any single party state of any period. The only sure cure for famine and plague is democracy and the Chinese don't have it. Happily Meghan and Harry will probably have another baby or get divorced and the media will dump the Peking Sniffles story and concentrate on something jollier.
Algerie Francais !

Sampanviking

Quote from: Borchester post_id=16543 time=1581759626 user_id=62
Oh f**k off.

I was on the grain run to China in the early 60s. When we reached port the Chinese would show us movies of happy peasants at banquets where they raised their wine glasses in homage to the Great Leader Mao Tse Tung. And in the interior 30 million Chinese had starved to death.

All dictatorships lie and the Chinese  do a worse job than most.

The bad news is that Xi Pinjing will carry on lying because that is all he knows.

The good news is that it is only the flu and will soon burn itself out.

Yeah, but Borkie, you cannot compare the China of 50 years ago to the modern state - which I know bits of very well indeed. To give it a UK perspective, it would be like saying "I know England, I visited it 200 years ago".

Suggest you go back and visit properly before gobbing off again about things you clearly know nothing, currently about.

I have an extensive family in both Hong Kong and throughout Southern China and I get to hear a lot of the news about what is happening, both in their locality and of course throughout the country.

The overwhelming response from the Chinese public has been to pull together in a big patriotic effort, to try and do what they can for those in the worst affected areas. Thousands of Health workers have volunteered to go to Hubei province to try to alleviate the overload on the local system.

It is actually quite moving and I find the constant petty sniping and point scoring from the sneering classes over here, somewhat irritating, especially as these would be the types scrabbling for the lifeboats first, if this situation ever happened over here.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=16543 time=1581759626 user_id=62

All dictatorships lie

As do all governments.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=16510 time=1581710615 user_id=74
Ah yes, you're probably watching the CIA channel.

Oh fvck off.

I was on the grain run to China in the early 60s. When we reached port the Chinese would show us movies of happy peasants at banquets where they raised their wine glasses in homage to the Great Leader Mao Tse Tung. And in the interior 30 million Chinese had starved to death.

All dictatorships lie and the Chinese  do a worse job than most.

The bad news is that Xi Pinjing will carry on lying because that is all he knows.

The good news is that it is only the flu and will soon burn itself out.
Algerie Francais !

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Barry post_id=16424 time=1581634474 user_id=51
I found them on YouTube, dear Baron, nothing to do with Aunty Beebie.

Ah yes, you're probably watching the CIA channel.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Barry

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=16378 time=1581608452 user_id=74
There are 1.3bn people in China. If Uncle Sam's subsidiary (the BBC) wanted to, they could find a weird person every day to fit their propaganda narrative.

I found them on YouTube, dear Baron, nothing to do with Aunty Beebie.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Barry post_id=16348 time=1581598021 user_id=51
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51482994">//https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51482994

Yes they've certainly got it licked.  :thdwn:

Only 242 deaths yesterday.

Talking of licking, have you seen the videos of people deliberately spreading the virus by taking tissues, wiping their noses, folding them and putting them back?

Or the video of a person deliberately snotting a reception desk?

Sure are some weird people in your beloved China, Baron.  :roll:

There's certainly a different attitude to such behaviour in China, and among Chinese communities outside. Spitting is widespread.  Although we see footballers frequently spitting, it's not normal behaviour in public. Not so in China, and it's so bad that some cities have no spitting notices that would have been familiar in Victorian or Edwardian Britain...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Barry post_id=16348 time=1581598021 user_id=51

Talking of licking, have you seen the videos of people deliberately spreading the virus by taking tissues, wiping their noses, folding them and putting them back?

There are 1.3bn people in China. If Uncle Sam's subsidiary (the BBC) wanted to, they could find a weird person every day to fit their propaganda narrative. It's a shame we don't have the same investigative resources to identify the weird people in the Whitehouse and what they get up to after hours.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Barry

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=15928 time=1581279123 user_id=74
Even the BBC admitted today that in the last few days the rate of increase in new cases is declining. The Chinese have got the problem licked. I knew they would.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51482994">//https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51482994

† The end is nigh †

cromwell

So Matt  Wancock finally caught up with the situation

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/secretary-of-state-makes-new-regulations-on-coronavirus">//https://www.gov.uk/government/news/secretary-of-state-makes-new-regulations-on-coronavirus
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=15980 time=1581332953 user_id=51
 Governments just lie.

ALL governments lie.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe