« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=15540 time=1580921073 user_id=53
Global warming will save mankind , you read it here first

:D

How could anyone doubt such a statement?  :lol:  :lol:

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts post_id=15532 time=1580919192 user_id=54
Really? That made me look it up. You are right that it is less likely in unless you have been travelling. It's more of a Winter thing but then it's always Winter somewhere.

Global warming will save mankind , you read it here first

:D

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=15522 time=1580914256 user_id=53
Which brings us to the summer months . Doesn't flu just die out in the summer /warmer weather ?

Really? That made me look it up. You are right that it is less likely in unless you have been travelling. It's more of a Winter thing but then it's always Winter somewhere.

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts post_id=15515 time=1580910691 user_id=54
They are saying that now they are stopping any foreigners from entering the country if they have visited China in the last 2 weeks but surely it won't be just China. Can anyone see flights being stopped altogether?  If this is going to continue for months as was said yesterday then what happens to holidays etc. I can see big losses coming.

Which brings us to the summer months . Doesn't flu just die out in the summer /warmer weather ?

Streetwalker

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=15505 time=1580908313 user_id=79
If you want something to worry about, it is that so far; as if by a miracle, only three cases of the virus have been recorded in India.....

Maybe the warmer temperatures and that people are outside more ?

T00ts

They are saying that now they are stopping any foreigners from entering the country if they have visited China in the last 2 weeks but surely it won't be just China. Can anyone see flights being stopped altogether?  If this is going to continue for months as was said yesterday then what happens to holidays etc. I can see big losses coming.

Sampanviking

If you want something to worry about, it is that so far; as if by a miracle, only three cases of the virus have been recorded in India.....

cromwell

Quote from: Barry post_id=15355 time=1580811676 user_id=51
I've seen reports that in the UK when Chinese looking people get on a bus or train, other people are reacting by moving seats, putting scarves aver their faces and the like. The press report this as racist behaviour, which it might be, however it is also common sense to try to mitigate a risk, even if it is a perceived risk.

Well if it's Jimmy from the Wok Sing round the corner they're bloody mad,being of Chinese origin (and there's a lot in this country) are no more likely to have the virus than snotty Fred at the English chippy.

Anyway I think the FO are mad to encourage the 30000 UK citizens over there to get out and come home,the Chinese have done an amazing job of trying to contain this and us encouraging people to return is a bad idea.

Long term this might hit the world economy and China especially badly,though they've done well of late they need to get a handle on the food markets and the stuff people eat.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

I've seen reports that in the UK when Chinese looking people get on a bus or train, other people are reacting by moving seats, putting scarves aver their faces and the like. The press report this as racist behaviour, which it might be, however it is also common sense to try to mitigate a risk, even if it is a perceived risk.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=15274 time=1580741548 user_id=54
 All that concrete they were pouring will hardly be cured let alone properly dry.

Having used quick setting concrete several times in my life it will be dry.  The same concrete is used civil engineering projects in tidal locations.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Promptis is a new rapid hardening concrete solution, the fast setting concrete can help save valuable time during construction.

Promptis has similar characteristics to conventional concrete but it can reach accelerated early strength after just four hours and still maintains initial flow properties and workability for up to 120 minutes. Formwork can be stripped after only six hours (subject to mix design and guidance), saving time and money. It is an ideal solution for projects such as road and rail renovation, where the use of Promptis could help minimise traffic restrictions.

https://www.cemex.co.uk/promptis-fast-setting-concrete">https://www.cemex.co.uk/promptis-fast-setting-concrete

A colleague is an expert in concrete and says some concrete mixes can even be used as "springs" to cope with cruise liners hitting the edge of their berth...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=15275 time=1580741980 user_id=79
I have seen some aspects of this process in the past few years and the prefab concrete sections are 3D printed and not poured.

I do not know this for sure, but I suspect that the printing process dries the concrete as it is printed.

I saw them pouring concrete onto wire reinforcement grilles for the ground floors. It looked at least ankle deep so surely depending on weather and being uncovered it would take 3 weeks maybe or is 3 months? The rest I agree.

Sampanviking

Quote from: T00ts post_id=15274 time=1580741548 user_id=54
I have been watching over the last few days and it's impressive. I do have questions though. Damp? All that concrete they were pouring will hardly be cured let alone properly dry. I can see mould spores being just as big a risk. Mostly prefabricated of course and it looked as though they were moving equipment etc in before the upper floors were laid or the roof. I wonder if it will be a purely temp building but any way you look at it is pretty spectacular.

I have seen some aspects of this process in the past few years and the prefab concrete sections are 3D printed and not poured.

I do not know this for sure, but I suspect that the printing process dries the concrete as it is printed.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell post_id=15268 time=1580739836 user_id=48
How to build a hospital.....in ten days,bet it's not PFI ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-china-51348297/coronavirus10-days-of-hospital-building-in-60-seconds">//https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-china-51348297/coronavirus10-days-of-hospital-building-in-60-seconds

I have been watching over the last few days and it's impressive. I do have questions though. Damp? All that concrete they were pouring will hardly be cured let alone properly dry. I can see mould spores being just as big a risk. Mostly prefabricated of course and it looked as though they were moving equipment etc in before the upper floors were laid or the roof. I wonder if it will be a purely temp building but any way you look at it is pretty spectacular.

cromwell

How to build a hospital.....in ten days,bet it's not PFI ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-china-51348297/coronavirus10-days-of-hospital-building-in-60-seconds">//https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-china-51348297/coronavirus10-days-of-hospital-building-in-60-seconds
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?