Latest Chinese export - coronavirus COVID-19

Started by Barry, January 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=14583 time=1580299499 user_id=51
It's propaganda when you post it in inappropriate threads. It's spamming the thread.

I commented on what someone else stated.

Back on topic. IF Coronavirus 2019-nCoV does get to Britain and there are a numerous people infected there are next to no isolation facilities anywhere in the UK. Plus there are not enough staff if there were such facilities.

There used to be isolation facilities near every big town and city in Britain. As far as I am aware they were all closed a long time ago, and have been over time all redeveloped for other purposes.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=14581 time=1580299154 user_id=89
I responded to other comments. (It isn't propaganda by the way, it is documented fact.)

It's propaganda when you post it in inappropriate threads. It's spamming the thread.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=14580 time=1580298912 user_id=51
Oh what? Not again! This thread is about the Chinese origin coronavirus. Go to your off topic thread to spread your propaganda.

I responded to other comments. (It isn't propaganda by the way, it is documented fact.)

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=14563 time=1580291015 user_id=89
There is always a rise in mental heath problems and suicides under Tory governments. (The media/press don't report that.)

Oh what? Not again! This thread is about the Chinese origin coronavirus. Go to your off topic thread to spread your propaganda.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=14576 time=1580296430 user_id=79
A bit of perspective - globally up to 700,000 die each year from flu or complications compounded by it. Yet because this is a regular and expected event we do not worry that much about it, especially as the vast majority are elderly with underlying health issues.

The problem that Wuhan is facing is that the symptoms of nCoV are identical to those of seasonal flu, because it is essentially a form of flu and so everybody who has the flu is now panicking and going to the Chinese equivalent of A&E.

The new hospitals being quickly built are quarantine and observation facilities.

The other thing of course is that there is no cure for nCoV, just as their is no cure for any other form of flu. People go to hospital with severe symptoms and the hospital tries to alleviate the symptoms. Ultimately only your own immune system can fight the disease and acquire immunity.

The 4000 confirmed cases then represents the numbers that have presented with severe symptoms and now over a 100 have died. Do not forget that for every case of severe symptoms, there will be many others with none severe symptoms who will simply think they have flu and get well after a few days in bed or even develop no symptoms at all.

Obviously a new virus outbreak is a cause for concern until it is fully understood, but the panic mongering in the press is frankly shameful.

Now that sounds like a degree of sanity.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell post_id=14577 time=1580297802 user_id=48
So by the same logic your constant reference to deaths caused by tories (in your opinion) is as insignificant.

It isn't insignificant given who it is who are dying, and why they are dying.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-51283186">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-51283186">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-51283186

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=14575 time=1580295579 user_id=89
Back on topic, to put things into perspective every winter in Britain  20000-50000 die from flu or complications related to it.

So by the same logic your constant reference to deaths caused by tories (in your opinion) is as insignificant.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sampanviking

Quote from: T00ts post_id=14544 time=1580254288 user_id=54
I do just wonder if we are being told the real numbers. Just over 100 reported deaths yet China is throwing up 3 maybe 4 hospitals in a hurry. If the death percentage is that low why the terror? If so far they don't know how to treat this virus then are people recovering or are there 1000s of poor folk at death's door? None of it makes any sense to me, but then that's not unusual.

A bit of perspective - globally up to 700,000 die each year from flu or complications compounded by it. Yet because this is a regular and expected event we do not worry that much about it, especially as the vast majority are elderly with underlying health issues.

The problem that Wuhan is facing is that the symptoms of nCoV are identical to those of seasonal flu, because it is essentially a form of flu and so everybody who has the flu is now panicking and going to the Chinese equivalent of A&E.

The new hospitals being quickly built are quarantine and observation facilities.

The other thing of course is that there is no cure for nCoV, just as their is no cure for any other form of flu. People go to hospital with severe symptoms and the hospital tries to alleviate the symptoms. Ultimately only your own immune system can fight the disease and acquire immunity.

The 4000 confirmed cases then represents the numbers that have presented with severe symptoms and now over a 100 have died. Do not forget that for every case of severe symptoms, there will be many others with none severe symptoms who will simply think they have flu and get well after a few days in bed or even develop no symptoms at all.

Obviously a new virus outbreak is a cause for concern until it is fully understood, but the panic mongering in the press is frankly shameful.

papasmurf

Back on topic, to put things into perspective every winter in Britain  20000-50000 die from flu or complications related to it.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=14569 time=1580292802 user_id=54
You really cheer me up.

Frankly there is nothing to be cheerful about.

T00ts

There is always a rise in mental heath problems and suicides under Tory governments. (The media/press don't report that.)

You really cheer me up.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell post_id=14565 time=1580291500 user_id=48
:ZIP:  :brd:  :fcplm:

It is easy for to check for yourself. (There is a several year lag in suicide stats, and the massive rise in prescriptions for anti-depressants is a matter of public record.)

cromwell

:ZIP:  :brd:  :fcplm:
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=14562 time=1580289678 user_id=54
 I do sometimes wonder if the rise in mental health worries could be laid at the media response to just about everything they report. I'm sure it's all been said many times before.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell post_id=14561 time=1580288855 user_id=48
Oh cheer up,T00ts if our numbers up we've had a reasonable innings haven't we?

Anyway you've the security of your beliefs,for me it's oblivion.....not that I'll know anyway :lol:

Oh I'm cheerful enough with life in general and as you say the future is secure for all of  us - even you!  :D I do get cross with inefficiency though and that seems endemic within our raft of authorities. I do sometimes wonder if the rise in mental health worries could be laid at the media response to just about everything they report. I'm sure it's all been said many times before.