Latest Chinese export - coronavirus COVID-19

Started by Barry, January 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM

« previous - next »

Baron von Lotsov

I reckon it was previously a CIA import. Think about how easy that would be, having just lost a trade war with China. Nice timing for nature's biological process I must say. BBC say this means the Chinese should open their doors and let in Western experts to help them deal with the virus. Chinese take the Ronald Reagan view about American "government help".
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

patman post

Quote from: Barry post_id=14246 time=1580041232 user_id=51.............

Our scientific advances should help us contain it, develop vaccinations and stop it. Or will they?  :-?

I suspect the relevant authorities — national and international — are commenting on coronavirus in measured tones in order not to add to the alarm. But I'm thinking we should not hold any breath we struggle to get because all the reports I've heard and read on the development of an anti coronavirus vaccine reckon it's around 12 months away from being available.

However, if the situation really becomes drastic, maybe the authorities would allow use (clinical trials?) before full clearance (as with ebola) in restricted circumstances where any virus mutation is thought containable...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry post_id=14246 time=1580041232 user_id=51
I think that you are wrong this time, SPV. Have you seen how the authorities are reacting in China? Have you seen the videos of people dropping down and being picked up by ambulances with staff covered head to toe in protective clothing?

What I find serious is that 2 doctors have already died, these are not the sort of old people winter cull types (as per JoG) that the flu routinely kills off.

Interesting also that there were plagues in Marseille in 1720, 1820 cholera outbreak, Spanish flu 1920 (killed 100 million). Just a coincidence that we have another serious threat in 2020.

Our scientific advances should help us contain it, develop vaccinations and stop it. Or will they?  :-?

Oh well that's the population crisis (global warming ,weather change ,housing crisis ) sorted ,always knew mother nature would bite back .

Good luck everybody

cromwell

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=14052 time=1579787358 user_id=79
So the Flu is both more infectious and contagious and leads to the death; directly or indirectly of many thousands of people in the UK each year. This Coronovirus is however more virulent, which means that you are at a greater individual risk, should you catch it.

I still say that the flu or Norovirus poses a greater threat to most people than Coronovirus.

It all smacks of blatant scaremongering and just a little racism. The BBC were calling it the "Chinese Virus" this morning. Must admit I was unaware that a virus could have a nationality. Did they call Ebola the African Virus?

Racist? Don't think so ,the flu in 1919 that killed more people than the whole of WW1 was called the Spanish Flu simply based on where they thought it originated.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=14052 time=1579787358 user_id=79
So the Flu is both more infectious and contagious and leads to the death; directly or indirectly of many thousands of people in the UK each year. This Coronovirus is however more virulent, which means that you are at a greater individual risk, should you catch it.

I still say that the flu or Norovirus poses a greater threat to most people than Coronovirus.

It all smacks of blatant scaremongering and just a little racism. The BBC were calling it the "Chinese Virus" this morning. Must admit I was unaware that a virus could have a nationality. Did they call Ebola the African Virus?

I think that you are wrong this time, SPV. Have you seen how the authorities are reacting in China? Have you seen the videos of people dropping down and being picked up by ambulances with staff covered head to toe in protective clothing?

What I find serious is that 2 doctors have already died, these are not the sort of old people winter cull types (as per JoG) that the flu routinely kills off.

Interesting also that there were plagues in Marseille in 1720, 1820 cholera outbreak, Spanish flu 1920 (killed 100 million). Just a coincidence that we have another serious threat in 2020.

† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester post_id=14112 time=1579869873 user_id=62
We used to wee in the bottles. Could that be the cause of the virus?

:fcplm:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13904 time=1579631022 user_id=48
Yeah remember Corona well,good stuff iirc.

We used to wee in the bottles. Could that be the cause of the virus?
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=14096 time=1579817061 user_id=59
My initial though on this latest catastrophe:  I read in the Metro, while sitting on a bus surrounded by people coughing and breathing over me, that about 700 people died across about 37 countries over 2 years, in a recent epidemic (SARS I think).  Then I thought about how many people die of flu in an average country.  Let's imagine 37 Britain-sized countries (2.5 billion peeps) - and ask how many elderly peeps die of flu over 2 years.  700 seems miniscule.

For me numbers are not as important as demographics.

Frankly, at the moment, the deaths seem to be very much in the age and health range for which winter is the annual cull. When it starts taking down fit and seemingly otherwise healthy thirty year olds I will start to be worried. Not until.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=14080 time=1579806237 user_id=70
I read that unknown viruses are being found in glacier ice in China's Tibet region**. Wonder if rising temperatures are releasing them into the environment...

** https://www.sciencealert.com/several-ancient-viruses-have-been-found-in-15-000-year-old-glacial-ice">https://www.sciencealert.com/several-an ... lacial-ice">https://www.sciencealert.com/several-ancient-viruses-have-been-found-in-15-000-year-old-glacial-ice

Im sure Greta and her acolytes would love to promote that idea.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Scott777

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13807 time=1579558556 user_id=48
Well stuff global warming I've always thought there are far too many people on this planet and nature would resolve the problem,humanity is arrogant regarding its own importance and control of this world.

Is this the apocalypse to cut us down to size or perhaps eradicate us for ever,probably not anyway have a nice day. :hattip

My initial though on this latest catastrophe:  I read in the Metro, while sitting on a bus surrounded by people coughing and breathing over me, that about 700 people died across about 37 countries over 2 years, in a recent epidemic (SARS I think).  Then I thought about how many people die of flu in an average country.  Let's imagine 37 Britain-sized countries (2.5 billion peeps) - and ask how many elderly peeps die of flu over 2 years.  700 seems miniscule.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

patman post

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=14052 time=1579787358 user_id=79 ................

It all smacks of blatant scaremongering and just a little racism. The BBC were calling it the "Chinese Virus" this morning. .....................................

Do you think NHS buyers are looking to offload the Oseltamivir (Tamiflu) and Zanamivir (Relenza) anti viral medications they stocked up on when other viruses were rampaging round the world...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

I read that unknown viruses are being found in glacier ice in China's Tibet region**. Wonder if rising temperatures are releasing them into the environment...

** https://www.sciencealert.com/several-ancient-viruses-have-been-found-in-15-000-year-old-glacial-ice">https://www.sciencealert.com/several-an ... lacial-ice">https://www.sciencealert.com/several-ancient-viruses-have-been-found-in-15-000-year-old-glacial-ice

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=14039 time=1579763806 user_id=63
Life is going to get interesting...

I have no idea of the size of the country, but the province in which this virus originated is landlocked. Two provinces to the right, on the coast, and on the main road through which all goods to the area seem to be shipped, lies the city in which my employer's global HQ sits.

Our Production Director spent a week in this city last week. He returned to the UK at the start of the week and returned to work Tuesday, although I did not bump into him until yesterday. He has the most STINKING case of flu i have ever seen.

As I said, life will be ... interesting.

Well John there are suspected cases in Edinburgh and Belfast,our esteemed health secretary says the UK is ready,so await your leaflet!  :lol:
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=14066 time=1579793504 user_id=79
I hope so as it is a given that Brexit will have removed any natural immunity that we may have previously had....

:lol:  :lol:

Sampanviking

If we are lucky, the virus will spread to the Middle East where it will wipe out all members of ISIS, but itself be incinerated by the Global Climatic Fire storm that is currently burning up the planet, before it reaches blighty.

I hope so as it is a given that Brexit will have removed any natural immunity that we may have previously had....