Latest Chinese export - coronavirus COVID-19

Started by Barry, January 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=14059 time=1579789173 user_id=51
It's difficult to get proper facts about infection rates and the number of deaths per 100 infections. I will avoid this like the proverbial plague as my weak point is my respiratory system and I've only just got over bronchitis (6 weeks it lasted). Like T00ts I suspect something like 2019-nCoV would be a very serious risk to me.

China is appearing to be very open and pro-active at this stage but it is a manner that doesn't normally sit happily with them. They have apparently closed a further 2 towns (millions of people) but I do wonder at which point they might be overwhelmed and with failure being worse than death, just how open they would then be about things like the death ratio.

Another question has anyone worked out how long it lives on things rather than people? Should they be looking at imports too at some point?

Barry

It's difficult to get proper facts about infection rates and the number of deaths per 100 infections. I will avoid this like the proverbial plague as my weak point is my respiratory system and I've only just got over bronchitis (6 weeks it lasted). Like T00ts I suspect something like 2019-nCoV would be a very serious risk to me.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=14052 time=1579787358 user_id=79
So the Flu is both more infectious and contagious and leads to the death; directly or indirectly of many thousands of people in the UK each year. This Coronovirus is however more virulent, which means that you are at a greater individual risk, should you catch it.

I still say that the flu or Norovirus poses a greater threat to most people than Coronovirus.

It all smacks of blatant scaremongering and just a little racism. The BBC were calling it the "Chinese Virus" this morning. Must admit I was unaware that a virus could have a nationality. Did they call Ebola the African Virus?

Last I heard it was thought to have come from Chinese snakes and is fast evolving. There are some who wish to reduce the population preferably by removing those old, infirm etc. I do hope this won't fulfil their wishes.I would be one of the first to succumb if it got to me.

Sampanviking

So the Flu is both more infectious and contagious and leads to the death; directly or indirectly of many thousands of people in the UK each year. This Coronovirus is however more virulent, which means that you are at a greater individual risk, should you catch it.

I still say that the flu or Norovirus poses a greater threat to most people than Coronovirus.

It all smacks of blatant scaremongering and just a little racism. The BBC were calling it the "Chinese Virus" this morning. Must admit I was unaware that a virus could have a nationality. Did they call Ebola the African Virus?

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Well Sky news has just told me that the risk here has gone from very low to low, Heathrow arrivals from ground zero say that checking didn't happen and they were given a leaflet in English only, giving them the 111 NHS number - let's hope they have had some extra training - anyway incubation of this nice Chinese gift takes 10 days by which time depending on someone's movements, could easily infect whole neighbourhoods if not more. Should I be worried? Should I be stocking the cupboards ready? Do I invest in a box of masks?

Matt Hancock tells me that we are well prepared and the NHS is ready! Last I heard the NHS was collapsing under Norovirus. Are we just a tad too laid back?

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=13809 time=1579560002 user_id=63

I'm off to get a flu vaccine.

There isn't a vaccine for Coronavirus 2-19=nCoV.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

There's another post on this in General Chat

In there I report that our UK Production Director who has spent a week or so in our global HQ on the sea cost of a chinese province two to the right of the landlocked one in which this outbreak kicked off, and on the main shipping route out of the country for almost the entire surrounding area, has come back to the UK. He arrived at the start of the week and has been in work for two days. He has the most stinking case of proper man flu ever.

We live in interesting times ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Life is going to get interesting...

I have no idea of the size of the country, but the province in which this virus originated is landlocked. Two provinces to the right, on the coast, and on the main road through which all goods to the area seem to be shipped, lies the city in which my employer's global HQ sits.

Our Production Director spent a week in this city last week. He returned to the UK at the start of the week and returned to work Tuesday, although I did not bump into him until yesterday. He has the most STINKING case of flu i have ever seen.

As I said, life will be ... interesting.

cromwell

Quote from: Barry post_id=13963 time=1579691965 user_id=51
Ha ha ha, that'll learn 'em.  :shock:  :roll:

And the City has been put in to lockdown,the last flight out has landed in London and we responded by still handing passengers a bloody leaflet  :barf:  :fcplm:
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=13983 time=1579699560 user_id=79
The reporting of this has left me wondering wtf most of these Journos are on? Would we describe things in exactly the same way if the cluster had started in Birmingham.

If I was reporting it and it was in Birmingham it would be in 72 point headlines! My son works in the City.

QuoteI bet there are more people with Norovirus in the UK today than cases of this Coronavirus in China

I'm sure you are right. However Norovirus is extremely contagious and has a peak in the winter. It is also very unpleasant, but not a killer.

This coronavirus IS a killer, and seems to be quite contagious. I don't expect we will be seeing 10% of the earth's population wiped out though.
† The end is nigh †

Sampanviking

So a few hundred infections, over several months from a city of 11 million plus a handful of infections in other cities and countries outside of China and somehow this is the biggest current threat to civilisation?

This is hardly raging through the populace like wildfire is it and the reason some of the handful of deaths were missed is because they were originally recorded as being among the many thousands that die each year of flu based pneumonia, just like they do in this country.

The reporting of this has left me wondering wtf most of these Journos are on? Would we describe things in exactly the same way if the cluster had started in Birmingham. The fact that people travel to and from Wuhan from other cities and other countries should hardly be a matter of reporting. Using Birmingham as an example again, it would be as ridiculous as expressing surprise of other cases being reported in London and Manchester.

I bet there are more people with Norovirus in the UK today than cases of this Coronavirus in China

Barry

Quote from: cromwell post_id=13962 time=1579691617 user_id=48
Well it has spread to the US and Japan and the three flights each week from Wuhan to London we will be giving passengers when they arrive a leaflet  :o

Ha ha ha, that'll learn 'em.  :shock:  :roll:
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Well it has spread to the US and Japan and the three flights each week from Wuhan to London we will be giving passengers when they arrive a leaflet  :o
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

The issue, I think  is not the disease so much as the attitude and ability of those running the country.

Black African government attitudes to HIV and its cure, and the last virus to plague the continent come to mind.

But while chinese pandas dont havect attraction Rwandan primates have, I feel the problem we the rest of the world will have with China is its attitude to dissemination of information.

We in the world outside China will not die of ignorance

But I really do think a few will die of censorship.