Latest Chinese export - coronavirus COVID-19

Started by Barry, January 20, 2020, 06:19:29 PM

« previous - next »

Javert

Quote from: Nick on October 19, 2020, 09:21:06 PMSpanish scientists say they found CV-19 in a waste water sample taken in March 2019. Most scientists are 99.9% sure virus came from from a Chinese lab, course the Chinese could contain it, they made it.

As far as I understood from a detailed interview rather than from vague headlines, this is yet again based on armchair experts.

I think what they found was a virus or material that was capable of triggering a positive test on the tests they were using.  That's not the same as saying they found the exact SARS-COV2 virus.  One ypothesis on the interview I heard some weeks back is that there were other viruses going around that were not as dangerous but very close to this one.  The tests tend to look for a particular sequence of RNA which is in that virus which is as unique as possible to the virus, but not necessarily 100% unique in all situations.

For those saying that this means the virus has been going around for years undetected, that would in a way be bad news - if it's been going around for years undetected and suddenly millions of people are dying from it suddenly right now, that would means the fabled herd immunity hasn't happened.

Of course the more likely scenarios is that the current exponentially increasing case right seems to show that the level of existing immunity is low.

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on October 20, 2020, 01:58:39 PM
Some say it was made in a lab, for example Luc Montagnier (Nobel Prize Winner) and some say it wasn't. The last time I read up on it most said it was manufactured, looks pretty even now.
Yeah well they are all groping in the dark, I read it affects poor people more than wealthy people, although of course the poor outnumber the wealthy at a huge ratio and growing, maths eh!
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 20, 2020, 06:51:51 AM
I was rotten in November , deffo wasn't a cold and found out in March that it deffo wasn't corona as that little bastard leaves no questions as to what you have got (for me anyway)

The good news is most of us get over it , back to work this week ,first time since before last Christmas .

Glad to hear that you are on the mend SW
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Sampanviking on October 20, 2020, 09:51:25 AM
Yes I know about the Spanish case, but surprised to hear that serious scientists are repeating the lab made conspiracy theory. The WHO has come out categorically saying the virus is natural.
Do you have links to those that say otherwise?

Some say it was made in a lab, for example Luc Montagnier (Nobel Prize Winner) and some say it wasn't. The last time I read up on it most said it was manufactured, looks pretty even now.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sampanviking

Quote from: Nick on October 19, 2020, 09:21:06 PM
Spanish scientists say they found CV-19 in a waste water sample taken in March 2019. Most scientists are 99.9% sure virus came from from a Chinese lab, course the Chinese could contain it, they made it.

Yes I know about the Spanish case, but surprised to hear that serious scientists are repeating the lab made conspiracy theory. The WHO has come out categorically saying the virus is natural.
Do you have links to those that say otherwise?

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 20, 2020, 06:51:51 AM

The good news is most of us get over it , back to work this week ,first time since before last Christmas .

Good to hear someone being honest and positive about covid streetwalker , instead of the usual hysteria and media regurgitated scare stories from the likes of smurf quackers etc etc.

Thats is the fact of the matter. Most folk will get it , most folk will get over it , and a tiny tiny proportion will sadly pass away from it , usually with other more serious underlying health issues where covid simply pushes them over the edge.

People are bone weary listening to all these hysterics spreading fear about brexit , covid and whatever else they can think of ( usually tories in pappies case) and are now past giving a feck to be honest in my opinion.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on October 19, 2020, 09:35:19 PM
I was rotten Nov / Dec, can't remember which, after a trip to Italy, deffo wasn't a cold. Italy first European country to close public spaces on 21st Feb.

I was rotten in November , deffo wasn't a cold and found out in March that it deffo wasn't corona as that little bastard leaves no questions as to what you have got (for me anyway)

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on October 17, 2020, 08:12:42 PM
Maybe at the same time he can tell us, why the Chinese said they knew about it before last November and it was the Americans that planted it. Then quickly withdrew the statement.

I was rotten Nov / Dec, can't remember which, after a trip to Italy, deffo wasn't a cold. Italy first European country to close public spaces on 21st Feb.

Nick

Nick

Quote from: Sampanviking on October 17, 2020, 05:40:51 PM
That is simply not correct. Chinese New Year was on Jan 25th, while Wuhan and much of Hubei province went into Lockdown on Jan 23rd. On the 25th Nationwide measures were being introduced including a ban on Inter Provincial travel. Other cities were on various levels of lockdown as well. Some people had already traveled for the Holidays before this date and they were told to stay put and not return back .

As for accusations of "letting the virus out" it is plain ridiculous. The WHO confirmed that Covid 19 was a new virus and responsible for the illnesses on Jan 7th. There was still a huge amount of work to be done to determine what kind of virus was being dealt with. It took time, during that time people were being tested and told to Isolate, but lockdown only started as soon as the WHO confirmed Human to Human transmission. Unfortunately Wuhan is far from being some backwater. It is a provincial capital linked fully into the rest of China and the World. It was being spread from before anybody knew anything.

At the end of the day, most other countries had far more time and greater certainty with which to prepare. So why did they fail to contain the virus as effectively as the Chinese?

Spanish scientists say they found CV-19 in a waste water sample taken in March 2019. Most scientists are 99.9% sure virus came from from a Chinese lab, course the Chinese could contain it, they made it.

Sampanviking

On the subject of who knew what when, this is video from Nathan Rich, showing the timeline of events in the USA, with a lot of reference to the timeline in China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlGusf4_1tc

Sampanviking

Quote from: Sheepy on October 17, 2020, 09:26:51 PM
I said they knew about it before the new year and did nothing about it, meaning they didn't stop people travelling, which they didn't. It ain't rocket science.

They knew what? Sheepy - you need to be precise about what you are claiming was known.  Your statement is way to open and vague.

Sheepy

Quote from: Sampanviking on October 17, 2020, 09:07:18 PM
They knew what exactly? You actually said, originally, that they did nothing until after the New Year Holiday, which is clearly untrue
I said they knew about it before the new year and did nothing about it, meaning they didn't stop people travelling, which they didn't. It ain't rocket science.

Sampanviking

Quote from: Sheepy on October 17, 2020, 07:48:57 PM
you are arguing with yourself, by your own admittance you have said I am correct the Chinese knew before Chinese new year and decided to let travel for new year commence.

They knew what exactly? You actually said, originally, that they did nothing until after the New Year Holiday, which is clearly untrue

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on October 17, 2020, 07:56:32 PM

Dont know sheep , pat has all the answers. Where he leads , we are all sure to follow......
Maybe at the same time he can tell us, why the Chinese said they knew about it before last November and it was the Americans that planted it. Then quickly withdrew the statement.