So, what was the point of Brexit?

Started by Sheepy, August 05, 2022, 08:52:12 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 09, 2022, 03:35:37 PM
Nick however much you try and deny fishing has been very badly effected due extra costs and paperwork and the bivalve mollusc problem has not been resolved. More regulation are on the way, and that is the last straw for local fishermen I know they will be calling it a day next year and giving up.
Baff has just done you up like a Kipper with his ONS report, I posted our exports to the EU a couple of days ago that you ignored. Post relevant stats or concede you're wrong. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on November 09, 2022, 02:38:41 PM
Baff I suggest you read this all of it, just published:-

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c3f248bb10598f8fdb7fbf6/t/62a6f7b9667d105544734e64/1655109583147/Brexit_Voices+of+the+Fishing+Industry_Web2.pdf
Baff, you rock. You just proved Smurf wrong with ONS stats, so he's done his usual diversionary "go-figure" 20 page PDF to read and digest.

Don't waste your time.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 09, 2022, 02:59:31 PM
Strange how we are exporting the same as before Brexit. Oh, why is that? Because they want our produce, and next year the EU loses another chunk of our fishing grounds.
Nick however much you try and deny fishing has been very badly effected due extra costs and paperwork and the bivalve mollusc problem has not been resolved. More regulation are on the way, and that is the last straw for local fishermen I know they will be calling it a day next year and giving up.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 09, 2022, 12:46:23 PM
Baff frankly you know (expletive deleted) all about fishing.  There has been NO solution to the bi-valve mollusc problem. Extra regulations are coming in, and few fishing boats can export to foreign countries other than the EU due to the processing equipment needed on the boats to do so.
Brexit has been a disaster for the fishing industry, especially when it comes to bi-valve molluscs, and inshore day boats The massive amount of extra costs, inspections and paperwork needed to export to the EU is causing more and more to give up.
Strange how we are exporting the same as before Brexit. Oh, why is that? Because they want our produce, and next year the EU loses another chunk of our fishing grounds. 

Nick

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on November 09, 2022, 02:12:17 PM
Here you go.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/316266/fish-export-value-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

Our seafood exports are currently higher than at almost all points of our EU membership. The primary point when they sold more than today, being when the value of the £ tanked after the Brexit referendum.

Pretty hard to miss the boom in exports that produced.

It's been a massive bonus to seafood exports.
All exports in fact.

Baff I suggest you read this all of it, just published:-

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c3f248bb10598f8fdb7fbf6/t/62a6f7b9667d105544734e64/1655109583147/Brexit_Voices+of+the+Fishing+Industry_Web2.pdf

Baff

Here you go.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/316266/fish-export-value-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

Our seafood exports are currently higher than at almost all points of our EU membership. The primary point when they sold more than today, being when the value of the £ tanked after the Brexit referendum.

Pretty hard to miss the boom in exports that produced.

It's been a massive bonus to seafood exports.
All exports in fact.

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on November 09, 2022, 12:46:23 PM
Baff frankly you know (expletive deleted) all about fishing.  There has been NO solution to the bi-valve mollusc problem. Extra regulations are coming in, and few fishing boats can export to foreign countries other than the EU due to the processing equipment needed on the boats to do so.
Brexit has been a disaster for the fishing industry, especially when it comes to bi-valve molluscs, and inshore day boats The massive amount of extra costs, inspections and paperwork needed to export to the EU is causing more and more to give up.

Exports in fish and shellfish have gone up not down.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/jziy/mret

I can well believe that some individual operators have been disadvantaged but the overall trend is the exact opposite outcome.
And over time this can reasonably be expected to increase further as fishermen adjust their operations and their quota's are increased.

As you can see from this graph, the export downturn blip during the change of rules was short lived and indeed insignificant.
Over and done with outside of shellfish season.

Brexit has been good for the fishing industry.
A benefit to them which hasn't yet finished giving.

I can't say the same about EEC membership, LOL, can you?

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on November 09, 2022, 11:19:55 AM
There are no significant new challenges to trade for our fisherman.
It's a sellers market.
What the EU did not buy was snapped up by traders in other countries.
Notably Asian countries. Korea.
Brexit has been a disaster for the fishing industry, especially when it comes to bi-valve molluscs, and inshore day boats The massive amount of extra costs, inspections and paperwork needed to export to the EU is causing more and more to give up.

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2022, 03:04:01 PM
No, it is not, and never likely to be, the situation is worsening:-

https://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/2022/research/brexit-fisheries-deliver/

The researchers analysed all available data on catch quotas, actual landings and the proportions of different fish species living in UK waters.

Dr Stewart added: "Most of the significant increases in catch quotas are for just a few fisheries such as western mackerel and North Sea sole and herring. Most fishermen, particularly those in small boats, have seen few if any benefits, so due to new challenges around trade are likely to be worse off.

Their quota's will increase incrementally as the transition period continues. The first increase is probably due in about two months time.
There are no significant new challenges to trade for our fisherman.
It's a sellers market.
What the EU did not buy was snapped up by traders in other countries.
Notably Asian countries. Korea.

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on November 09, 2022, 09:17:48 AM
But in Britain the situation is far worse due to Brexit.
Sorry. Not the case.
Britain is getting off relatively lightly.
(While still being totally buggered).

The EU is in very bad shape.
Worse than us. So is Japan.

We are essentially the top performing major economy in Europe.
Winning on almost every economic, (diplomatic and social) metric.
If only that was saying something good. But it isn't.

Baff

Quote from: patman post on November 04, 2022, 03:38:36 PM
Putting aside membership of the ECHR (which was never anything to do with the EEC or EU), what should we have expected as these immediate Brexit downsides, and what should we now be looking forward to as the long-term plus points? And how long must we wait for them to arrive or be realised...?

In short, the nation growing a pair of balls.
Instead of being scaredy scaredy and needing the EU to fix everything wrong in the world for them.

Or the ECHR or the UN or indeed anyone else whatsoever.

And you can expect the effect of this to have already happened.
As demonstrated by our getting the exact same trade deals as the EU has, quite without them.
And as demonstrated by our handling of COVID vaccines, quite without them.
As demonstrated by our taking the lead in Ukraine response. And so on.

What we have now is a Make Britain Great Again agenda, rather than one of managed decline.
People with balls have political ascendency over those with none.

Those who are not sacred but view the outside world as an opportunity.
Because they have the self confidence to go out in the world on their own. To take their decisions for themselves.
To be the best.
To aspire to that strength of character.

It is a can do attitude that replaces a can't do attitude.

There are no guarantees that if you try you will succeed.
But there is a 100% guarantee that if you do not, you will not.

I would have left this country if it remained weak in spirit.
Now it has a chance.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on November 09, 2022, 10:03:29 AM
If you say so Smurfy. Look, I've already apologised to Gerry the paddy for voting the wrong way. I believed Nigel about the big red bus, that Turkey were about to invade, that we would be able to control our borders. I apologised to Gerry on the condition he would go away, which he did. Will you do the same?

Scrap the protocol! Union Flag
Sorry but I am not responsible for the Cognitive Dissonance about Brexit when it comes to some people still in denial including the government.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on November 09, 2022, 09:17:48 AM
If you say so Smurfy. Look, I've already apologised to Gerry the paddy for voting the wrong way. I believed Nigel about the big red bus, that Turkey were about to invade, that we would be able to control our borders. I apologised to Gerry on the condition he would go away, which he did. Will you do the same?

Scrap the protocol! Union Flag
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 09, 2022, 04:38:21 AM
They're blinkered. I've shown them dozens of times that we we are experiencing is happening all over the world, not just the EU. They don't listen, it suits their narrative to be in this situation.