So, what was the point of Brexit?

Started by Sheepy, August 05, 2022, 08:52:12 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Red Rackham on November 09, 2022, 04:01:00 AM
We are indeed in a cost of living crisis, have you seen what's going on in the EU? That's right, a cost of living crisis. UK inflation is at 10.1%, shocking. It's 10.9% in the EU. Is that because of Brexit?  Come on fess up, you're a typical tunnel vision remainiac, right?
They're blinkered. I've shown them dozens of times that we we are experiencing is happening all over the world, not just the EU. They don't listen, it suits their narrative to be in this situation. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Red Rackham

Quote from: HDQQ on November 03, 2022, 10:06:23 PM
So we've taken back control, and now we have a major cost-of-living crisis, raw sewage spewing into our rivers and hundreds of illegal immigrants landing on the beaches of Kent and Sussex each day. Who can we blame for all this now - we took back control, didn't we? Today's news had a report that the UK was headed for a deep 2-year recession, while the EU's economy would stay 'flat' but not in recession, while the USA would have slight growth. That looks like conclusive evidence that Brexit has put us in worse economic state than other Western economies.
We are indeed in a cost of living crisis, have you seen what's going on in the EU? That's right, a cost of living crisis. UK inflation is at 10.1%, shocking. It's 10.9% in the EU. Is that because of Brexit?  Come on fess up, you're a typical tunnel vision remainiac, right?

patman post

Quote from: Barry on November 06, 2022, 02:53:00 PM
Could be whataboutery, but whatabout the Seine, PP?

https://www.cleanriverstrust.co.uk/the-seine-a-capital-sewer/
One river. Meanwhile in the UK:

This summer, from Bexhill to Newcastle, the public was rightly outraged at the sewage pumped into [UK] waters in record amounts.
Rivers are affected too. Every single one of England's rivers now fails to meet safety standards with few deemed to be in 'good health'.

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/raw-sewage-discharge-water-pollution/

But an interesting link to the Seine. In return, I offer you a more gritty narrative on the Thames...
https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/pollution-river-thames-history
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2022, 03:04:01 PM
No, it is not, and never likely to be, the situation is worsening:-

https://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/2022/research/brexit-fisheries-deliver/

The researchers analysed all available data on catch quotas, actual landings and the proportions of different fish species living in UK waters.

Dr Stewart added: "Most of the significant increases in catch quotas are for just a few fisheries such as western mackerel and North Sea sole and herring. Most fishermen, particularly those in small boats, have seen few if any benefits, so due to new challenges around trade are likely to be worse off.

What has that got to do with Fish exports to the EU being virtually back to pre-Brexit levels?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 06, 2022, 01:53:19 PM
 fishing is virtually back to where it was.
No, it is not, and never likely to be, the situation is worsening:-

https://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/2022/research/brexit-fisheries-deliver/

The researchers analysed all available data on catch quotas, actual landings and the proportions of different fish species living in UK waters. 

Dr Stewart added: "Most of the significant increases in catch quotas are for just a few fisheries such as western mackerel and North Sea sole and herring. Most fishermen, particularly those in small boats, have seen few if any benefits, so due to new challenges around trade are likely to be worse off.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Barry on November 06, 2022, 02:53:00 PM

Wait your turn, I'm still waiting to find out why PP uploaded that took 11 seconds. 

Barry

Quote from: patman post on November 05, 2022, 02:51:45 PM
Ten links in total — one directly quoting Stanley Johnson, the ex-PM's father, blaming Brexit for the UK's current sewage problem.

The Prime Minister's father recalled how "Britain was known as the dirty man of Europe" before it joined what is now known as the European Union in 1973 — due to the lack of statistical measurement of water quality at UK beaches.
He added: "It's not just sewage which goes into our seas and rivers.
"It's all sorts of things. And you have to have a general framework of water management, and that was one thing which flowed well from the EU directives."
https://www.nationalworld.com/news/environment/brexit-sewage-uk-regulations-stanley-johnson-discharge-seas-rivers-3815345

All the links argue against your claim that sewage pollution of British rivers and the sea is new, and only recently caused by excessive rain...

† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on November 06, 2022, 01:42:57 PM
The last thing we need is the national front, bunch of knuckle draggers.

Not a good enough answer, who could have implemented brexit?

An answer would be good.
It's the usual PS throw away comment, notice how he has ignored the fact that fishing is virtually back to where it was. 

cromwell

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on November 06, 2022, 01:37:25 PM
So not a word of the time when that barsteward Tony Blair opened the floodgates to eastern europe? Was he not in cahoots with the EU?
One of the main reasons I voted to leave was stop any and all immigrants coming and deport a large portion of those already living here.
We need a British National Front and we need Farage in charge.

Union Flag
The last thing we need is the national front, bunch of knuckle draggers.

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2022, 01:30:33 PM
I knew the Tories would fail. The damage is now permanent and insoluble.

Not a good enough answer, who could have implemented brexit?

An answer would be good.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

HallowedBrexit

So not a word of the time when that barsteward Tony Blair opened the floodgates to eastern europe? Was he not in cahoots with the EU?
One of the main reasons I voted to leave was stop any and all immigrants coming and deport a large portion of those already living here.
We need a British National Front and we need Farage in charge.

Union Flag

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2022, 01:30:33 PM
So you voted remain because you knew the Tories would fail. So you wanted to leave but didn't have faith in the Government to do it? Or did you really just want to remain?  That doesn't make sense. Are you saying that if there had been a Labour Gov you would have voted differently? But then a Labour Gov wouldn't have offered a referendum anyway. 

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on November 06, 2022, 01:28:42 PM
Some of them assisted by as I said by others,anyway way if you really wanted brexit who would have been able to implement that? An answer would be great

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2022, 01:15:00 PM
The failure is 100% down to the Tory government.  The ONLY reason I voted remain is because I knew the Tories would make it a dog's Brexit.
Some of them assisted by as I said by others,anyway way if you really wanted brexit who would have been able to implement that? An answer would be great.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on November 06, 2022, 01:11:23 PM
Mainly due to a failure of Westminster who in the majority have never accepted the referendum result and the civil service who forget they are servants of the people and the politicians too.
The failure is 100% down to the Tory government.  The ONLY reason I voted remain is because I knew the Tories would make it a dog's Brexit.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2022, 01:07:57 PM
That has failed badly.
Mainly due to a failure of Westminster who in the majority have never accepted the referendum result and the civil service who forget they are servants of the people and the politicians too.