So, what was the point of Brexit?

Started by Sheepy, August 05, 2022, 08:52:12 AM

« previous - next »

Good old

Quote from: Nick on November 06, 2022, 10:42:00 AM
Right , there's are 2 illegal immigrants standing on the beach in France, one sets of for the U.K. the day before Brexit and one the day after. What difference does Brexit or an immigration policy make to them arriving in Dover? Absolutely none! It's an illegal act and immigration policies don't have any governance over illegal acts.

What does make a difference is the EU, more specifically France not giving a toss and looking the other way.

So what changed.? Before 2019 it might of been only two standing on that beach 2022 it is hundreds fast becoming thousands now. Why not before 2019, what visibly changed? Leading to change in everyone's attitude to everything regarding attitude to co-operation between nations.
Yes attitudes on the French sides have changed . The biggest problem you and Brexit has ever had , is it's failure to accept  that not only brexiteers have attitude. Wasn't it attitude on this side of the channel to the EU that caused Brexit in the first place? 
No good whinging about French attitude when we have so much of our own.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 06, 2022, 10:51:12 AM
Let's face it, it suits France to have the problem of illegal immigrants sailed over here.
The reality is from Calais and to the West of Calais it would take 20000 troops to stop the problem. (Even Nigel Farage has been forced to admit that.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Right , there's are 2 illegal immigrants standing on the beach in France, one sets of for the U.K. the day before Brexit and one the day after. What difference does Brexit or an immigration policy make to them arriving in Dover? Absolutely none! It's an illegal act and immigration policies don't have any governance over illegal acts.

What does make a difference is the EU, more specifically France not giving a toss and looking the other way.

Well the immigrants want to come here and the Remainers hate the UK, so, instead of cheering on loonies that want to fire bomb the former, maybe we could make room for them by deporting the latter.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Let's face it, it suits France to have the problem of illegal immigrants sailed over here. No amount of cash is going to make France stop the flight from their shores. There is a tsunami of people moving across the world with many paying huge fees to criminals who provide the means/routes. The operation is so established now that no matter how many are locked up there will always be others to take over. The only way to make us less attractive is to make arrival here more uncomfortable. While the message is free medicine, ready cash in hand for nothing and free board and lodging then more will come by whatever means is available. We are struggling with the cost of caring for so many that those who really deserve a place of refuge become just one of the crowd. We have to toughen up or sink under the load.

Nick

Quote from: Good old on November 06, 2022, 10:20:36 AM
When it comes to illegal immigration just how much evidence does it take?
https://news.sky.com/story/has-brexit-made-the-uk-more-attractive-for-illegal-migration-12477985 . Compare 2019 to 2022 .
Possibly the biggest reason this country flounders in the mess it does, denial of the obvious.
Right , there's are 2 illegal immigrants standing on the beach in France, one sets of for the U.K. the day before Brexit and one the day after. What difference does Brexit or an immigration policy make to them arriving in Dover? Absolutely none! It's an illegal act and immigration policies don't have any governance over illegal acts.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2022, 10:18:37 AM
Not at all, there is loads of evidence, but your cognitive dissonance prevents you from accepting it. According to you have not been spending much time in Britain so you can't see it for yourself.
You have not one shred of evidence that shows Brexit has done anything to our economy, Covid and Putin have done the damage.

Lack of work force: same all over the world, as I've told many times, Schiphol airport had to close a runway due to no ground staff.

Lack of truck drivers: same in a high percentage of countries. 

Even exports of fish are doing amazingly well seeing as you state the industry is dead. If you look you will see the dip due to Covid, it has now recovered.

Good old

When it comes to illegal immigration just how much evidence does it take?
https://news.sky.com/story/has-brexit-made-the-uk-more-attractive-for-illegal-migration-12477985 . Compare 2019 to 2022 . 
Possibly the biggest reason this country flounders in the mess it does, denial of the obvious.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 06, 2022, 10:08:08 AM
Excellent, finally we agree that you've got no evidence.
Not at all, there is loads of evidence, but your cognitive dissonance prevents you from accepting it. According to you have not been spending much time in Britain so you can't see it for yourself.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 06, 2022, 09:46:18 AM
Nick one day your denial of the disaster Brexit has been and continues to be, will be challenged by evidence even you cannot dismiss.
Excellent, finally we agree that you've got no evidence. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 06, 2022, 09:35:42 AM
This is what economists think of Carney.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/brexit-isnt-to-blame-for-todays-economic-collapse/
Nick one day your denial of the disaster Brexit has been and continues to be, will be challenged by evidence even you cannot dismiss.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 05, 2022, 11:24:33 AM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63515486

Brexit has added to the UK's economic woes by lowering the value of the pound and contributing to price rises, an ex-Bank of England governor has said.

Mark Carney told the BBC the fall in the pound and shrinking economy after the UK left the EU had added to "inflationary pressure".
This is what economists think of Carney. 

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/brexit-isnt-to-blame-for-todays-economic-collapse/

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on November 05, 2022, 03:17:51 PM
You mean next time they'll be told the truth and not lied to about what would happen if the UK stayed in the EU?

How is the UK any less dependent on the EU now, than it was on 31 January 2020?

Blue-black passports haven't made Britain Great Again. And ongoing disputes over borders, immigrants, trade, etc, simply illustrate the fact that the UK is unable to impose its will or get its way without international cooperation — and, in material terms, that is a long time coming...
As I keep telling you Posty your mistaking whats possible with what crumbs the conservatives want to throw at you  , nobody gives a toss about passports or having illusions of greatness . 

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 05, 2022, 02:59:39 PM
I'll counter that with how many years were you going to look on watching the United Kingdom become an offshore dependency of a Federal Europe ?  Our forefathers fought for our freedoms  (well actually one of mine was on the other side but we dont talk about that )and our democracy , for me it was unforgivable that our generation would give it away .
We have corrected an injustice ,a mistake and a political direction we took in 1973  ,thats all .

If future generations want back in then so be it , at least next time if there is a next time they  will be armed with all the information they need to make their choice .
You mean next time they'll be told the truth and not lied to about what would happen if the UK stayed in the EU?

How is the UK any less dependent on the EU now, than it was on 31 January 2020?

Blue-black passports haven't made Britain Great Again. And ongoing disputes over borders, immigrants, trade, etc, simply illustrate the fact that the UK is unable to impose its will or get its way without international cooperation — and, in material terms, that is a long time coming...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on November 05, 2022, 02:26:37 PM
As for the rest, how many lifetimes are you expecting the UK population to wait for before these amazing, but so far intangible, benefits are felt...?
I'll counter that with how many years were you going to look on watching the United Kingdom become an offshore dependency of a Federal Europe ?  Our forefathers fought for our freedoms  (well actually one of mine was on the other side but we dont talk about that )and our democracy , for me it was unforgivable that our generation would give it away .
We have corrected an injustice ,a mistake and a political direction we took in 1973  ,thats all .

If future generations want back in then so be it , at least next time if there is a next time they  will be armed with all the information they need to make their choice .

Oh and yes Shit stinks as do eu directives  Swimming in sewage: How can we fix Europe's smelly rivers? | Euronews

patman post

Quote from: Nick on November 04, 2022, 03:53:18 PM
8 links, none of which cite Brexit as responsible.
1 article quoting a Labour report, 1 article outlining how the ground couldn't soak up water and subsequently caused the problem.
Record fines!!
Nothing to do with Brexit, you lost, get over it.
Ten links in total — one directly quoting Stanley Johnson, the ex-PM's father, blaming Brexit for the UK's current sewage problem.

The Prime Minister's father recalled how "Britain was known as the dirty man of Europe" before it joined what is now known as the European Union in 1973 — due to the lack of statistical measurement of water quality at UK beaches.
He added: "It's not just sewage which goes into our seas and rivers.
"It's all sorts of things. And you have to have a general framework of water management, and that was one thing which flowed well from the EU directives."
https://www.nationalworld.com/news/environment/brexit-sewage-uk-regulations-stanley-johnson-discharge-seas-rivers-3815345

All the links argue against your claim that sewage pollution of British rivers and the sea is new, and only recently caused by excessive rain...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...