So, what was the point of Brexit?

Started by Sheepy, August 05, 2022, 08:52:12 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 14, 2022, 08:32:00 AM
There is loads of evidence but your cognitive dissonance prevents you from believing it.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 13, 2022, 08:21:30 PM
Let's hear it ducky, let's see the evidence.
There is loads of evidence but your cognitive dissonance prevents you from believing it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on November 13, 2022, 05:19:37 PM
If you don't like hearing what a mistake Brexit was, you need to cover your ears  - and if you don't like reading what a mistake it was, you need to cover your eyes.
Let's hear it ducky, let's see the evidence. 

HDQQ

Quote from: Nick on November 04, 2022, 09:35:29 AM
Now you're blaming the rain on Brexit, think we can leave this ridiculous post there, not even worth responding to.
If you don't like hearing what a mistake Brexit was, you need to cover your ears  - and if you don't like reading what a mistake it was, you need to cover your eyes.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

Baff, here's another example from the Smurf link

QuoteThis is not an official publication of the House of Commons or the House of Lords. It has not been approved by either House or its committees. All-Party Parliamentary Groups are informal groups of Members of both Houses with a common interest in particular issues. The views expressed in this report are those of members of the fishing industry.
So make of it what you like.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: Baff on November 10, 2022, 02:24:33 PM
No thanks mate.

This is an example from it. The level of that report.
'I find it hard to specifically judge the impact of Brexit on my business, although I know it's certainly not helped'
He "knows it certainly hasn't helped although can't point to anything specific.
I on the other hand can point to something specific. The fall in the value of the £ created an export boom and the export figures show a record amount of sea food exports made during this time.

The export figures speak for themselves.
I'll stick with the hard facts.

Exports quite literally boomed after the referendum result and even now that boom has ended are at peak levels compared to when we were in the EU.
You have tried to claim that exports were lost due to Brexit. The exact opposite of this is true.
Exports boomed to record levels and currently are at historically high levels that match the very peaks experienced during our EU membership.
I told him this before, I even posted the graphs from the ONS but he decided to ignore it, which is his MO when proved wrong. 

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on November 10, 2022, 08:23:47 AM
Cherry picking the report Barry, Brexit had cut the trade right down due it being no longer possible to export to the EU. The pollution is just the final nail in the coffin.
Has Brexit shut all the opticians in Cornwall too?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Baff

Cherry picking the report Barry, Brexit had cut the trade right down due it being no longer possible to export to the EU. The pollution is just the final nail in the coffin.

Is the trade still right down, or have they solved their issues/replaced their customers with other customers/replaced their catches with other catches that they can sell?

Because the aggregate trade figures are very positive.
So if Brexit has created a downturn for them specifically, it must necessarily have created an equivalent upturn for others.

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on November 09, 2022, 02:38:41 PM
Baff I suggest you read this all of it, just published:-

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c3f248bb10598f8fdb7fbf6/t/62a6f7b9667d105544734e64/1655109583147/Brexit_Voices+of+the+Fishing+Industry_Web2.pdf
No thanks mate.

This is an example from it. The level of that report.
'I find it hard to specifically judge the impact of Brexit on my business, although I know it's certainly not helped'
He "knows it certainly hasn't helped although can't point to anything specific.
I on the other hand can point to something specific. The fall in the value of the £ created an export boom and the export figures show a record amount of sea food exports made during this time.

The export figures speak for themselves.
I'll stick with the hard facts.

Exports quite literally boomed after the referendum result and even now that boom has ended are at peak levels compared to when we were in the EU.
You have tried to claim that exports were lost due to Brexit. The exact opposite of this is true.
Exports boomed to record levels and currently are at historically high levels that match the very peaks experienced during our EU membership.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 10, 2022, 08:44:41 AM
Its not cherry picking , its the headline and the main point of the article .
It is cherry picking the man interviewed mentioned the problems caused by Brexit right at the start. 

Streetwalker

Its not cherry picking , its the headline and the main point of the article . 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 09, 2022, 10:16:36 PM
Yes but thats because of water quality , not because of Brexit Water pollution damaging oyster industry according to fishermen in Cornwall | ITV News West Country

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 09, 2022, 08:19:50 PM
Barry the ONS stats are just that stats, they do not show the reality the link I posted which is right up to date does.
Also local TV news tonight the oyster fishery in Cornwall is about to shut down completely.
Yes but thats because of water quality , not because of Brexit Water pollution damaging oyster industry according to fishermen in Cornwall | ITV News West Country

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 09, 2022, 08:19:50 PM
Barry the ONS stats are just that stats, they do not show the reality the link I posted which is right up to date does.
Also local TV news tonight the oyster fishery in Cornwall is about to shut down completely.
What's the name of the oyster fishery please?

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on November 09, 2022, 04:17:52 PM
Baff, you rock. You just proved Smurf wrong with ONS stats, so he's done his usual diversionary "go-figure" 20 page PDF to read and digest.

Don't waste your time.