So, what was the point of Brexit?

Started by Sheepy, August 05, 2022, 08:52:12 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 08, 2023, 12:44:23 PM
I got but did not need a visa for the USA. I answered the questions honestly which meant a palaver to provide the required information. (It is even worse now, as it is for many countries.)
Not being honest with visa applications can end up with deportation back on the next flight or possible imprisonment.
I've been going to the states for decades and have never needed a visa apart from when I lived there. The visa waiver program was even easier than now. You just filled it in on the plane. ESTA's have been around for 13 years also so you've got your facts wrong. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 08, 2023, 11:27:01 AM
Which country did you get a visa for?
I got but did not need a visa for the USA. I answered the questions honestly which meant a palaver to provide the required information. (It is even worse now, as it is for many countries.)
Not being honest with visa applications can end up with deportation back on the next flight or possible imprisonment.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 08, 2023, 11:10:50 AM
Yes, and what a palaver it was. (Hopefully when a Visa for France becomes necessary later this year it well be a simple and cheap process.)
Which country did you get a visa for?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 08, 2023, 10:09:11 AM
Have you ever applied for a visa for any country at all?
Yes, and what a palaver it was. (Hopefully when a Visa for France becomes necessary later this year it well be a simple and cheap process.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 08, 2023, 08:55:49 AM
Baff have you actually looked carefully at that application process?
Have you ever applied for a visa for any country at all? I've had lots, and it's very easy, as long as you are going for genuine reasons. I applied for an ESTA yesterday morning, I got it within 3 hours, it cost me $21. 

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on January 06, 2023, 05:41:32 PM
The point being your Govt. did setup a catch 22 procedure, to claim asylum you have to be in the UK, but there's no way to get to the country legally if you want to claim asylum. Then to double down the Flight to Rwanda (6,500km away) was introduced to process asylum seekers, the only reason this hasn't been a roaring success is because of legal challenges delaying flight departures. But your Govt has been working tirelessly in the background

The number of people trying to cross the channel has dramatically increased since these changes2018 say about 1k and 2019 about 2k and in 2022 its around 40k. That will lead to additional deaths, that is not the fault of the traffickers, that is totally on the UK govt and their crackpot attitude towards people.  You'd swear the UK was the only country taking in refugees, on the scale of things you're way behind similar size countries in Europe.

Two things - first I think many UK people are deplored by this development, secondly the UK do allow asylum seekers from some locations, like Ukraine, but not many places.
That did give me a laugh :)

What's really funny is some refugees temporarily housed in a school for 10 days and some think that's a big asylum story lol lol
Of course you can claim asylum legally. You get a tourist visa, come to the U.K. and do a bit of fight seeing, therefore fulfilling your visa requirements then you apply for asylum. And assuming you're legit you'll get it. 

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on January 06, 2023, 05:41:32 PMWhat's really funny is some refugees temporarily housed in a school for 10 days and some think that's a big asylum story
Probably not as funny as ANTIFA showing up to insult the indigenous Irish or what is left of them. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on January 08, 2023, 08:15:51 AM

Apply online. It couldn't be any easier.

Baff have you actually looked carefully at that application process?

Baff

Sure it is.
Millions of people do it every year. Ten's of thousands do it every day.

Apply online. It couldn't be any easier.

Albanians are perfectly able to come here legally. In fact that is the easiest way for them to do so.
Those who seek to do so illegally have nefarious intent.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on January 08, 2023, 07:33:36 AM
So?
Anyone can come to the UK.
It is not as easy to get a visa to get into Britain as you seem to think. That was why so many people are trying to get here illegally.

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on January 06, 2023, 05:41:32 PM
The point being your Govt. did setup a catch 22 procedure, to claim asylum you have to be in the UK,

So?
Anyone can come to the UK.
Get a visitor visa. Do it online.
https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor/apply-standard-visitor-visa

There are planes, ferries and a tunnel to get you here.
It's cheaper to come here legally. Safer too.
If you wish to claim asylum once you have arrived, you may.
We can't offer you our protection if you are in a foreign country. Obviously. You have to be here. LOL.

Those people who come here illegally do so because they already know they have no right to stay but intend to.
That's why they sneak in at great risk and cost to themselves.

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on January 06, 2023, 11:30:40 AM
We didn't let them drown and the ones that get through on a plane to Rwanda either.
Thats good then, plenty more where they came from.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 06, 2023, 03:04:01 PMAs far as I know not one person has been sent to Rwanda nor have we let anyone drown .
The point being your Govt. did setup a catch 22 procedure, to claim asylum you have to be in the UK, but there's no way to get to the country legally if you want to claim asylum. Then to double down the Flight to Rwanda (6,500km away) was introduced to process asylum seekers, the only reason this hasn't been a roaring success is because of legal challenges delaying flight departures. But your Govt has been working tirelessly in the background

The number of people trying to cross the channel has dramatically increased since these changes2018 say about 1k and 2019 about 2k and in 2022 its around 40k. That will lead to additional deaths, that is not the fault of the traffickers, that is totally on the UK govt and their crackpot attitude towards people.  You'd swear the UK was the only country taking in refugees, on the scale of things you're way behind similar size countries in Europe.

Two things - first I think many UK people are deplored by this development, secondly the UK do allow asylum seekers from some locations, like Ukraine, but not many places.

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 06, 2023, 03:04:01 PMFar from it  even the Dover swim club reported its Boxing day swim was a roaring success 58 went in 532 came back
That did give me a laugh :)

What's really funny is some refugees temporarily housed in a school for 10 days and some think that's a big asylum story lol lol

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on January 06, 2023, 11:30:40 AM
We didn't let them drown and the ones that get through on a plane to Rwanda either.
As far as I know not one person has been sent to Rwanda nor have we let anyone drown . Far from it  even the Dover swim club reported its Boxing day swim was a roaring success 58 went in 532 came back ;)

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on January 06, 2023, 10:41:52 AM
So you say Gerry.

True Irish hospitality. A kick up the arse, a boot out of the door and a Merry Christmas thrown in.

Well, at least you didn't knee cap them