So, what was the point of Brexit?

Started by Sheepy, August 05, 2022, 08:52:12 AM

« previous - next »

Baff

Quote from: Nick on January 08, 2023, 12:55:55 PM
I've been going to the states for decades and have never needed a visa apart from when I lived there. The visa waiver program was even easier than now. You just filled it in on the plane. ESTA's have been around for 13 years also so you've got your facts wrong.
Exactly. Pre online, I did it on the plane or if going to France on the ferry.
A formality and no problem at all.

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on January 08, 2023, 08:55:49 AM
Baff have you actually looked carefully at that application process?

I don't need to.
Tens of thousands of people per day successfully use it.

The evidence that it works well is perfectly clear.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 08, 2023, 03:05:42 PM
For every country on the planet?
We are talking about the States so don't try and confuse the situation as usual. 
The questions are related to your record in the states. 
I currently have a visa for China, Russia and India. I also have an ESTA for the USA and a travel doc for Cuba. I have never had an issue getting a visa for any country but as usual you know better and say it's a pain. The EU visa, if it ever comes in will be about £7 and last 3 years. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 08, 2023, 02:52:50 PM
Yep, filled the online application the other day.
For every country on the planet?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 08, 2023, 02:49:00 PM
Are you sure that is the latest info?
Yep, filled the online application the other day. 

papasmurf

Nick

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on January 08, 2023, 01:52:24 PM
Well a UK tourist visa is £100 per person and the MINIMUM time for application is 3months and you have to present for an Interview. That could be in your country or in another. Not all visa processes are the same.
You will also need to show: the dates of travel; where you will be staying; how much your trip will cost; your home address and how long you lived there; your parents names & DOB; how much you earn; details of any criminal, civil or immigration offences. A good chance you will also have to provide: details of your travel history for the past 10 yrs; your employers name/address/ph no.; name/address of anyone paying for your trip; name/address & passport number of any relatives in the UK.

Was that like your ESTA application, are they the same ?  When is your ESTA interview and is that in the UK or another country ?
For an ESTA you have to give the same information apart from how much your trip costs and who paid for it. You don't have an ESTA interview, you do it online and it costs about £17. 
The only people who can't use it are those who have a criminal record in the States, so either PS has a record in the states or he is talking bollox as usual. 

papasmurf

Quote from: GerryT on January 08, 2023, 01:52:24 PM
Well a UK tourist visa is £100 per person and the MINIMUM time for application is 3months and you have to present for an Interview. That could be in your country or in another. Not all visa processes are the same.
You will also need to show: the dates of travel; where you will be staying; how much your trip will cost; your home address and how long you lived there; your parents names & DOB; how much you earn; details of any criminal, civil or immigration offences. A good chance you will also have to provide: details of your travel history for the past 10 yrs; your employers name/address/ph no.; name/address of anyone paying for your trip; name/address & passport number of any relatives in the UK.

Was that like your ESTA application, are they the same ?  When is your ESTA interview and is that in the UK or another country ?
There is also have you ever been arrested.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 08, 2023, 10:09:11 AM
Have you ever applied for a visa for any country at all? I've had lots, and it's very easy, as long as you are going for genuine reasons. I applied for an ESTA yesterday morning, I got it within 3 hours, it cost me $21.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 08, 2023, 10:06:28 AM
Of course you can claim asylum legally. You get a tourist visa, come to the U.K. and do a bit of fight seeing, therefore fulfilling your visa requirements then you apply for asylum. And assuming you're legit you'll get it.
The condition of a tourist visa is that you intend to leave the UK. You can't do that and claim Asylum, legally. The application center for these people (illegals) is in Rwanda. That's where they would be sent. The UK has basically closed it's doors, lifted up the draw bridge...it's what Brexiter's wanted...you're getting what you voted for, what you wanted.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on January 08, 2023, 07:33:36 AM
So?
Anyone can come to the UK.
Get a visitor visa. Do it online.
https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor/apply-standard-visitor-visa

There are planes, ferries and a tunnel to get you here.
It's cheaper to come here legally. Safer too.
If you wish to claim asylum once you have arrived, you may.
We can't offer you our protection if you are in a foreign country. Obviously. You have to be here. LOL.

Those people who come here illegally do so because they already know they have no right to stay but intend to.
That's why they sneak in at great risk and cost to themselves.
If you look at the visa to UK process it clearly states that one condition of gaining a visa is the person must show that they will leave at the end of their stay. So the option of claiming asylum after entering under a visitor visa would be futile as that would render the visitor visa invalid. The person would then be shipped to Rwanda as an illegal in the UK, where they could then seek asylum for the UK. No doubt that would fail and they would end up in some labour camp over there, one the UK would turn a blind eye to. 
Other conditions for a visitor visa is the means to fund your short stay, an address you will be staying at, means to leave. It's £100 per person and the earliest you can apply before travelling is 3months. You get interviewed and not all countries have means to do this so you and all your family would have to get to an interview center. The system is designed to asylum seekers can't apply through this system. Can you answer this, why would the UK fly a Asylum seeker 6,000km to interview them for entry into the UK and then fly them 6,000Km back to let them in ?  

Most other countries, including the UK up to recently, would process people as they presented at borders, airports etc...  The xenophobic process introduced is a means to stop asylum seekers, but this represents the far right in the UK, the incompetent Govt. and not a large percentage of UK people who do want to help those in need. Like I said, a small number of regions, like Ukraine, can apply from their own country. But even that isn't a simple straight forward process. Would you like to stay in Ukraine a couple of months while your application is being processed with Russian missiles raining down all around.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 08, 2023, 01:20:20 PM
So as usual, the problem is with you, and not as you said with the copious visa systems around the world.
Nick there are several million people in Britain who if they wish to go to the USA can't just get a Visa waiver as easily as you seem to think. ( A significant number will not be let into the USA at all.)
Not being honest with the questions asked can get you sent back to Britain on the next flight and detained in custody until that flight.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 08, 2023, 01:03:09 PM
Nick for reasons I am not about to detail on an internet forum I would still have problems getting a Visa for the USA, as the questions have to be answered truthfully and in some cases, (mine,) evidence provided. That situation is worse now not better.
A larger number of British citizens than you realise if they answer the questions honestly cannot just get a Visa for the USA even as a tourist.
So as usual, the problem is with you, and not as you said with the copious visa systems around the world. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 08, 2023, 12:55:55 PM
I've been going to the states for decades and have never needed a visa apart from when I lived there. The visa waiver program was even easier than now. You just filled it in on the plane. ESTA's have been around for 13 years also so you've got your facts wrong.
Nick for reasons I am not about to detail on an internet forum I would still have problems getting a Visa for the USA, as the questions have to be answered truthfully and in some cases, (mine,) evidence provided. That situation is worse now not better.
A larger number of British citizens than you realise if they answer the questions honestly cannot just get a Visa for the USA even as a tourist.