So, what was the point of Brexit?

Started by Sheepy, August 05, 2022, 08:52:12 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on January 20, 2023, 11:03:54 AM
We call ourselves great. But after more than 4 decades of thatcherism and disastrous thatcherite housing policies, including especially the last 13 years of Tory austerity and continuous de facto pay cuts for the public sector, our country is a basket case. Nothing works anymore. Public funds for everything have been slashed to the bone. We are being ripped off left right and centre with the highest energy bills in the western world, with extortionate rents and house prices. And the highest rail fares in the western world too for a service that is a shambles. Yet in spite of all this taxes are higher than they have ever been. Something stinks and doesnt add up, and I think there is corruption afoot with money disappearing into offshore accounts.

And then as a people we make ourselves a laughing stock on the world stage by electing clowns like Boris Johnson, then replacing him with idiots like Truss.

If we want to be great and to call ourselves great with any credibility at all, we need to be bucking our ideas up as a nation, big time. Otherwise the only people left alive on this planet who still think we are great will be a few deluded Sun and Mail readers.
That is utter nonsense Steve. 
For a start we DO NOT have the highest energy bills, not even within Europe. 

Did you get any furlough payments Steve?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 20, 2023, 09:44:45 AMWe have always been Great though , it says it on the door . 
We call ourselves great. But after more than 4 decades of thatcherism and disastrous thatcherite housing policies, including especially the last 13 years of Tory austerity and continuous de facto pay cuts for the public sector, our country is a basket case. Nothing works anymore. Public funds for everything have been slashed to the bone. We are being ripped off left right and centre with the highest energy bills in the western world, with extortionate rents and house prices. And the highest rail fares in the western world too for a service that is a shambles. Yet in spite of all this taxes are higher than they have ever been. Something stinks and doesnt add up, and I think there is corruption afoot with money disappearing into offshore accounts.

And then as a people we make ourselves a laughing stock on the world stage by electing clowns like Boris Johnson, then replacing him with idiots like Truss. 

If we want to be great and to call ourselves great with any credibility at all, we need to be bucking our ideas up as a nation, big time. Otherwise the only people left alive on this planet who still think we are great will be a few deluded Sun and Mail readers.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on January 20, 2023, 08:35:20 AM
So what is the point of Brexit?

The 2016 referendum seemed to serve as an opportunity for silly old duffers stuck in the past to vote for the 1950s, or for a return to the glory days of 1940. An opportunity to vote for the bygone glories of empire, or a chance to vote against all those bloody foreigners coming here. Some saw it as a chance to vote in favour of imperial measurements, whilst others saw it as a chance to vote for us being great again.

How much of this has come to pass? How much was ever likely to?
Thankfully none of it though the open borders and uncontrolled immigration would have been on my list  . We have always been Great though , it says it on the door . 
Quote from: Sheepy on January 20, 2023, 08:55:09 AM
Hundreds of migrants in UK are 'dangerous criminals' amid call for 'national outrage' (msn.com)
No shit Sherlock.

Indeed . 

Nick

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on January 14, 2023, 12:47:07 PM
You miss the point. If an EU national came to the UK and couldn't support themselves for 6 months you could have refused entry. Unless they showed they were planning to stay less than 6 months. If they subsequently couldn't support themselves the UK could have sent them home. There is no obligation under EU rules to take in other EU countries nationals and treat them like a refugee. Being an EU member in that regard is a great way to keep spongers out. I know the UK didn't do that and I know they didn't counter charge for the use of the NHS, which the UK was entitled to do. The question is why didn't the UK do this, there is a good answer. The average EU migrant contributed more to the UK economy than the average britton, thats why. They were wanted, even if your rag press blamed them on taking jobs, they didn't. They helped feed your growing employment sectors with highly skilled and educated people without the cost to the UK to produce these people. Brexit was the plan for dummy's.
My understanding is seasonal works still come, not as many. Under new UK rules they are not allowed stay, but  they usually wouldn't anyway.
If they get benefits thats a UK choice. Your out of the EU now, so whats the excuse now given for giving benefits ?  nuts stuff !
Hundreds of migrants in UK are 'dangerous criminals' amid call for 'national outrage' (msn.com)
No shit Sherlock.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

So what is the point of Brexit?

The 2016 referendum seemed to serve as an opportunity for silly old duffers stuck in the past to vote for the 1950s, or for a return to the glory days of 1940. An opportunity to vote for the bygone glories of empire, or a chance to vote against all those bloody foreigners coming here. Some saw it as a chance to vote in favour of imperial measurements, whilst others saw it as a chance to vote for us being great again.

How much of this has come to pass? How much was ever likely to?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on January 19, 2023, 03:16:26 PM
I can see no benefits of Brexit at all. (Other than is will cost all the Cornish Tory MPs their seats at the next general election.)
Quite right as well , they have failed misserably in getting the job done . When we do finally get something like what we voted for you will see some benefits , until then the fight continues . 
Quote from: papasmurf on January 19, 2023, 07:56:42 PM
Britain used to be self sufficient in Ammonium Nitrate fertiliser, until the production in a factory in the North East of Britain shut down.
Yes I used to do the re brick of the  kilns at the Prudoe plant (among others )  . ICI was gradually sold off in bits and pieces through the 90's finnally being taken over by a Dutch firm which moved production to Europe .  I did a couple of trips to a fertiliser plant just outside Leuven in Belgium but the work dried up when they changed the kiln lining from brick to a spray on concrete material . The guys in the NE were grateful though , they used to say ''put your mask on mate , even the sparrows cough round here ''
Enough of my reminising though , the point being it all happened before the euro , before expansion ,before freedom of movement and a long time before Brexit .

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 19, 2023, 08:48:06 PM
Brexit due to Tory government in action is putting British food security in jeopardy. [highlight]Farmers are having to kill and dispose of pigs because abattoirs and meat processors do not have enough staff because of Brexit.[/highlight] Poultry is being disposed of because of Avian flu and also the lack of staff in abattoirs and meat processors due to lack of staff due to Brexit. Also poultry is not being replaced because supermarkets will not pay enough money for eggs.
The lack of abattoir staff was in 2021 during Covid, again nothing to do with Brexit. The anti-Brexit brigade always add to any crisis by adding Brexit to the real reason. Find a link to the lack of staff in 2021 that puts Brexit singly as the cause!!

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/05/pigs-culled-amid-uk-shortage-abattoir-workers

The meat industry is one of many sectors of the UK economy grappling with labour shortages linked to Brexit and the pandemic.

https://www.pig-world.co.uk/uncategorized/everything-is-going-for-slaughter-countryfile-highlights-escalating-pig-crisis.html

The programme also heard from Kate and Vickie Morgan, Simon Watchorn, Anna Longthorp and Stephen Thompson, who explained how the crisis is affecting them. Kate Morgan revealed that, with [highlight]grain prices up by about 50%[/highlight], the cost of feed has increased by about 27p per pig per day, meaning they are losing about £50/pig.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-62203610.amp

"Twelve to 18 months ago, feed costs were about £230 a tonne, [but] that's now pushing on for £500 a tonne."

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 19, 2023, 08:29:14 PM
Therefore nothing to do with Brexit, therefore not relevant.
Im not going to write it crayons, you need to read posts and understand what's said.
Global Nitrate fertiliser was a product predominantly from the Ukraine, it's gone up by 500%. That means good prices have risen, animal feed prices have risen, farmers are slaughtering pigs and chickens because they can't afford the feed. Do you get it! ITS NOT BREXIT, ITS PUTIN.
Brexit due to Tory government in action is putting British food security in jeopardy. Farmers are having to kill and dispose of pigs because abattoirs and meat processors do not have enough staff because of Brexit. Poultry is being disposed of because of Avian flu and also the lack of staff in abattoirs and meat processors due to lack of staff due to Brexit. Also poultry is not being replaced because supermarkets will not pay enough money for eggs.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 19, 2023, 08:03:47 PM
It is relevant Nick. It is yet another instance of globalisation biting Britain on the backside. It is far more than two years ago, it was a massive ICI chemical production facility.
Therefore nothing to do with Brexit, therefore not relevant.
Im not going to write in crayons, you need to read posts and understand what's said.
Global Nitrate fertiliser was a product predominantly from the Ukraine, it's gone up by 500%. That means good prices have risen, animal feed prices have risen, farmers are slaughtering pigs and chickens because they can't afford the feed. Do you get it! ITS NOT BREXIT, ITS PUTIN.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 19, 2023, 08:00:19 PM
Totally irrelevant unless that factory closed down in the last 2 years.
It is relevant Nick. It is yet another instance of globalisation biting Britain on the backside. It is far more than two years ago, it was a massive ICI chemical production facility. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 19, 2023, 07:56:42 PM
Nick, again you are totally ignorant of the situation. I am making NOTHING up. Britain with have very severe problems with food security this year.  The problems have been detailed often in Parliament, the BBC Radio 4 farming program every morning, BBC 1 Countryfile and in the agricultural press/websites.
Britain used to be self sufficient in Ammonium Nitrate fertiliser, until the production in a factory in the North East of Britain shut down.
Totally irrelevant unless that factory closed down in the last 2 years. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 19, 2023, 07:48:56 PM
As usual you just make stuff up, Nitrate fertilisers are predominantly made in the Ukraine area, they have gone up by 500%, that has affected most of our food stuffs as well as the grains I mentioned before.
As for inflation, I suggest you look at the worldwide diagram I posted.
Nick, again you are totally ignorant of the situation. I am making NOTHING up. Britain with have very severe problems with food security this year.  The problems have been detailed often in Parliament, the BBC Radio 4 farming program every morning, BBC 1 Countryfile and in the agricultural press/websites.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 19, 2023, 05:28:52 PM
The impending food shortages in Britain will mainly be caused by Brexit. Inflation is a lot worse in Britain than it is in our near European neighbors.
As usual you just make stuff up, Nitrate fertilisers are predominantly made in the Ukraine area, they have gone up by 500%, that has affected most of our food stuffs as well as the grains I mentioned before. 
As for inflation, I suggest you look at the worldwide diagram I posted. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on January 19, 2023, 06:56:16 PM. We grow most of our own food so are pretty much ok in that respect. 
Borchester Britain grows nothing like all of the food it needs by a very long way.  Brexit is slowly destroying British agriculture helped along by government inaction. This mean even less food will be produced by British agriculture this year.