So, what was the point of Brexit?

Started by Sheepy, August 05, 2022, 08:52:12 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 21, 2023, 11:43:31 AM
Every time there is a Tory government they do something nasty to me, and nothing for me. (Their current plan seems to be turning us all in to electric car driving vegans.)
I have an all electric car ATM, the country isn't ready and even though there are 1000's of chargers there are still not enough. On Monday my car is going back and I will be trading it in for a 4L V8 diesel. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 21, 2023, 10:58:50 AM
In your opinion. You seem to think the government owes you something, they don't. You need to get your head down and start improving your own lot instead of blaming everything on the government.
Every time there is a Tory government they do something nasty to me, and nothing for me. (Their current plan seems to be turning us all in to electric car driving vegans.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on January 21, 2023, 08:08:03 AM
If you think I am a communist you need to pull your trousers back up and start talking out of your mouth with the aid of your brain, as opposed to talking out of your arse.

She hung on for so long off the backs of the jingoistic boost deriving from the Falklands War. Yet much of her legacy is one of long term damage, for example in housing.
In your opinion. You seem to think the government owes you something, they don't. You need to get your head down and start improving your own lot instead of blaming everything on the government. 

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on January 21, 2023, 12:19:43 AM
She is the longest serving PM in modern times, just cause her views don't align with your communist ones doesn't make her bad.
If you think I am a communist you need to pull your trousers back up and start talking out of your mouth with the aid of your brain, as opposed to talking out of your arse.

She hung on for so long off the backs of the jingoistic boost deriving from the Falklands War. Yet much of her legacy is one of long term damage, for example in housing.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on January 20, 2023, 07:15:49 PM
My arse!

Her baleful legacy is in many way still with us today.
She is the longest serving PM in modern times, just cause her views don't align with your communist ones doesn't make her bad. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on January 20, 2023, 07:15:49 PM
My arse!

There was nothing wrong with her policies , her predecessors just couldn't handle them nor take them to their fruition 

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2023, 04:23:56 PMThatcher is the best PM this country has ever had
My arse!

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2023, 04:23:56 PM
Thatcher is the best PM this country has ever had, 
Try telling that to the millions of victims of her policies. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on January 20, 2023, 03:29:36 PM
That New Labour did even worse than the Tories on social housing is a shocking indictment of them, but they were essentially continuing thatcherite policies but more so, with an even greater emphasis on housing to buy. And wealth being concentrated in ever fewer hands continued under a Labour party intensely relaxed about people becoming filthy rich, but this was already happening under Thatcher and Major and continued under Cameron. It is something that happened under both New Labour and the Tories. The rich have been buying power and influence for decades now, and have utterly subverted our politics.

But the rot began with Thatcher, got worse under her and continued to get worse under her successors. And Thatcher may have retired 32 years ago but her legacy lives on today as both main parties seek to continue with the thatcherite economic model.
Thatcher is the best PM this country has ever had, she would have got Brecht done properly and not taken any of this crap from the unions either. 

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 20, 2023, 02:20:35 PM
This is an urban myth. Under Blair and Brown the UK with the much needed help ,we could never do it without them EU workers built about 8,000 council dwellings over the course of 13 years .

The Thatcher government using Brit workers never failed , not once to build less than 18,000 council homes a year . Though both goverments built simular total housing , about 2.5 million labour included 0.5% council while Thatchers total was 20% not to mention being affordable with right to buy schemes for existing tenants .
Not only did labour fail on housebuilding it allowed immigration to grow 4 fold on the past conservative government allowing over 2.2 million immigrants into the UK .
Social inequalities widened under Labour ,a smaller and smaller minority obtained a greater share of the wealth which in turn led to a monopoly of the political agenda disenfrancising much of the population .

Its not hard to see where the disaster was but you keep on blaming someone who was retired almost 33 years ago .
You really do need to do better .
That New Labour did even worse than the Tories on social housing is a shocking indictment of them, but they were essentially continuing thatcherite policies but more so, with an even greater emphasis on housing to buy. And wealth being concentrated in ever fewer hands continued under a Labour party intensely relaxed about people becoming filthy rich, but this was already happening under Thatcher and Major and continued under Cameron. It is something that happened under both New Labour and the Tories. The rich have been buying power and influence for decades now, and have utterly subverted our politics. 

But the rot began with Thatcher, got worse under her and continued to get worse under her successors. And Thatcher may have retired 32 years ago but her legacy lives on today as both main parties seek to continue with the thatcherite economic model.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2023, 01:56:33 PM
Do you know for a fact that your employer didn't claim and furlough on your behalf?

As for the cuts, blame the previous Labour government for that.
Yes I know for a fact that my employer never claimed furlough on my behalf.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 10, 2023, 09:14:32 AM
Nick it is shown on near daily basis on a Freeview channel that features immigration/customs from various USA airports and border crossing, plus others from Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Eire, and Britain.
Don't think I've forgotten about your fictitious USA visa BTW. Are you going to explain how you got it, or are you going to hide away for 4 days again? 

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on January 20, 2023, 11:03:54 AM
We call ourselves great. But after more than 4 decades of thatcherism and disastrous thatcherite housing policies
This is an urban myth. Under Blair and Brown the UK with the much needed help ,we could never do it without them EU workers built about 8,000 council dwellings over the course of 13 years .

The Thatcher government using Brit workers never failed , not once to build less than 18,000 council homes a year . Though both goverments built simular total housing , about 2.5 million labour included 0.5% council while Thatchers total was 20% not to mention being affordable with right to buy schemes for existing tenants .
Not only did labour fail on housebuilding it allowed immigration to grow 4 fold on the past conservative government allowing over 2.2 million immigrants into the UK .
Social inequalities widened under Labour ,a smaller and smaller minority obtained a greater share of the wealth which in turn led to a monopoly of the political agenda disenfrancising much of the population .

Its not hard to see where the disaster was but you keep on blaming someone who was retired almost 33 years ago .
You really do need to do better .

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on January 20, 2023, 12:09:20 PM
Not from the government, no. I was on full basic pay by my employer for the three months I had off. This included holiday pay but no overtime pay of course so I claimed some universal credit and got about 300 quid from that in total. What dubious point are you trying to make now?

My assertion about everything being cut to the bone including public sector real terms pay and everything falling apart and essentials costing a fortune yet we also pay more tax than ever before does suggest that a lot of money is going somewhere.
Do you know for a fact that your employer didn't claim and furlough on your behalf?

As for the cuts, blame the previous Labour government for that. 

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2023, 11:31:34 AMDid you get any furlough payments Steve?
Not from the government, no. I was on full basic pay by my employer for the three months I had off. This included holiday pay but no overtime pay of course so I claimed some universal credit and got about 300 quid from that in total. What dubious point are you trying to make now?

My assertion about everything being cut to the bone including public sector real terms pay and everything falling apart and essentials costing a fortune yet we also pay more tax than ever before does suggest that a lot of money is going somewhere.