So, what was the point of Brexit?

Started by Sheepy, August 05, 2022, 08:52:12 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: patman post on January 26, 2023, 02:27:57 PM
Virtually all European countries are members of the Council of Europe.

Forty-seven (46 now Russia was expelled) Member States of the Council of Europe (formed in 1949), signed the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms.

The European Court of Human Rights (established in 1959) applies and protects the rights and guarantees set out in the European Convention on Human Rights.

The Council of Europe is completely separate from the European Union, and its membership is much larger than the EU's.

The UK became a Council member 24 years before it joined the EU. The UK's membership of the Council was unaffected by its joining or leaving the EU...
None of that detracts from the fact that the EU is spuds deep in the ECHR and ECJ. This was proved when the City complained to the ECJ about France and Germany flouting financial regulations. The ECJ of course sided with them even though they were breaking the law. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on January 26, 2023, 01:59:55 PM
Aren't there currently problems with too much organic material being spread on the land?

It can definitely stink over a large area of several miles, and adversely affect water quality — especially that for human consumption...

Not that I have heard of. Back in the day when the main source of power was a horse, the run off from the fields meant a lot of excess nitrogen in the rivers and blue babies, but most farmers are too cheap to add more fertiliser than needed and since they are largely reliant on state subsidies, they try not to upset too many people.

That rich aroma emulating from fields is slurry that farmers use as fertiliser. The whiff is great for chesty folk, but there is rarely enough of it. Funnily enough, we took a car load of eco warriors out to West Country a few years back and they were knocked head over tea kettle by the smell. I don't think they actually realised that farms ponged :)
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Nick on January 26, 2023, 01:50:21 PM
So you're suggesting that they have not come together over the years and are now in each others pockets?
Virtually all European countries are members of the Council of Europe.

Forty-seven (46 now Russia was expelled) Member States of the Council of Europe (formed in 1949), signed the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms.

The European Court of Human Rights (established in 1959) applies and protects the rights and guarantees set out in the European Convention on Human Rights.

The Council of Europe is completely separate from the European Union, and its membership is much larger than the EU's.

The UK became a Council member 24 years before it joined the EU. The UK's membership of the Council was unaffected by its joining or leaving the EU...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on January 26, 2023, 01:17:20 PM
And if it did the Remainers would just say that Old Hooky was just expressing his justifiable anger against British racism.

Anyway, back to organic farming in the UK. It is possible, but would require about 30 tons of manure an acre, which means a container truck load of the stuff. Possible, but as anyone who has spent days forking the stuff off the dung cart,hard graft.
Aren't there currently problems with too much organic material being spread on the land?

It can definitely stink over a large area of several miles, and adversely affect water quality — especially that for human consumption...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on January 26, 2023, 01:42:12 PM
I don't intend to tell you anything. But I can point out your mistakes, even though you may not understand what they are.

The ECHR was agreed in 1950 and came into force in 1953. The British team led the drafting and was the first to ratify it in 1951.

The European Economic Community (EEC) treaty, forerunner of the EU, was signed in 1957...
So you're suggesting that they have not come together over the years and are now in each others pockets?

patman post

Quote from: Nick on January 26, 2023, 01:24:38 PM
The ECHR is all part of the same controlling mechanism as the EU, they are essentially one. No doubt you're going to tell me they're independent of each other, you keep believing it.
I don't intend to tell you anything. But I can point out your mistakes, even though you may not understand what they are.

The ECHR was agreed in 1950 and came into force in 1953. The British team led the drafting and was the first to ratify it in 1951.

The European Economic Community (EEC) treaty, forerunner of the EU, was signed in 1957...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on January 26, 2023, 12:55:20 PM
The EU had nothing to do with the UK's arrest, trials, imprisonment and extradition of Abu Hamza...
The ECHR is all part of the same controlling mechanism as the EU, they are essentially one. No doubt you're going to tell me they're independent of each other, you keep believing it. 

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on January 26, 2023, 12:55:20 PM
The EU had nothing to do with the UK's arrest, trials, imprisonment and extradition of Abu Hamza...

And if it did the Remainers would just say that Old Hooky was just expressing his justifiable anger against British racism.

Anyway, back to organic farming in the UK. It is possible, but would require about 30 tons of manure an acre, which means a container truck load of the stuff. Possible, but as anyone who has spent days forking the stuff off the dung cart,hard graft.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2023, 09:40:05 AM
And like I posted somewhere else, it us over a decade to extradite Abu Hamza due to the EU.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on January 19, 2023, 08:03:47 PM
It is relevant Nick. It is yet another instance of globalisation biting Britain on the backside. It is far more than two years ago, it was a massive ICI chemical production facility.
We don't need artificial fertilisers and could easily grow all we need by using organic manures. The problem is not so much supply as the sheer slog of spreading the muck, which is not only hard graft but which requires massive inputs of cash to pay for the labour required.

Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Sheepy on January 25, 2023, 09:02:05 AM
I have never known Gerry be so quiet maybe there are things going on in Ireland he doesn't want anyone knowing about.
He has just realised Paddy land are  net contributors and has started an Irexit movement with the DUP :)

Sheepy

I have never known Gerry be so quiet maybe there are things going on in Ireland he doesn't want anyone knowing about. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on January 14, 2023, 12:47:07 PM
You miss the point. If an EU national came to the UK and couldn't support themselves for 6 months you could have refused entry. Unless they showed they were planning to stay less than 6 months. If they subsequently couldn't support themselves the UK could have sent them home. There is no obligation under EU rules to take in other EU countries nationals and treat them like a refugee. Being an EU member in that regard is a great way to keep spongers out. I know the UK didn't do that and I know they didn't counter charge for the use of the NHS, which the UK was entitled to do. The question is why didn't the UK do this, there is a good answer. The average EU migrant contributed more to the UK economy than the average britton, thats why. They were wanted, even if your rag press blamed them on taking jobs, they didn't. They helped feed your growing employment sectors with highly skilled and educated people without the cost to the UK to produce these people. Brexit was the plan for dummy's.
My understanding is seasonal works still come, not as many. Under new UK rules they are not allowed stay, but  they usually wouldn't anyway.
If they get benefits thats a UK choice. Your out of the EU now, so whats the excuse now given for giving benefits ?  nuts stuff !
We don't miss any points Gerry, you just hope we do, the Irish populists are on the rise.

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on January 21, 2023, 08:08:03 AM
If you think I am a communist you need to pull your trousers back up and start talking out of your mouth with the aid of your brain, as opposed to talking out of your arse.

She hung on for so long off the backs of the jingoistic boost deriving from the Falklands War. Yet much of her legacy is one of long term damage, for example in housing.

They don't even compare, Thatcher was a great believer in she and the yanks could save capitalism from itself, which as it happens caused the nobody cares society, whereas Blair is an out and out psychopath.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 21, 2023, 11:53:39 AM
I have an all electric car ATM, 
I can't afford one, at a minimum because of local building regulations, a fast charger in my garage plus the car would cost me at least £50000. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe