Passport Renewals

Started by johnofgwent, August 05, 2022, 12:01:42 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Baff on August 14, 2022, 05:27:00 PM
LOL.
Of course it isn't blue.

Who told you it was blue?
We'll mainly my eyes, as my second passport is blue. But also the official .gov website. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/iconic-blue-passports-return-next-month
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Baff on August 06, 2022, 07:08:58 PM
Did mine online in the beginning of summer.
It took 2 weeks.

My gun lisences on the other hand have taken over 10 months and still counting.

Well, that's lifted some of my concerns. Cheers

As for gun licences, after enquiring about clay pigeon shooting after the cataract op was healed I was asked if I'd be interested in ongoing membership at the club, but to be honest I wouldn't trust myself given the number of times some T@@@ carves me up and leaves me wishing I had a 50cal chaingun handy ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Baff

Quote from: Nick on August 14, 2022, 06:22:29 AM
Black? Is it not Blue?

LOL.
Of course it isn't blue.

Who told you it was blue?

patman post

It's supposedly Pantone 5395C. 

I reckon few people would agree it's returned to being the iconic blue...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: Baff on August 06, 2022, 07:08:58 PM
It took 2 weeks.

Got a string of emails updating me to the progress.
Old passport recieved.
Application approved.
Printing.
Printed.
Despatched.
Delivered.

[highlight]I have now have a black passport again.[/highlight]

Never been quicker or easier.

It would have taken just the one week but the delivery guy sucked.
Missed you, will try again tomorrow.
Missed you will try again tomorrow.

Black? Is it not Blue?

Baff

It took 2 weeks.

Got a string of emails updating me to the progress.
Old passport recieved.
Application approved.
Printing.
Printed.
Despatched.
Delivered.

I now have a black passport again.

Never been quicker or easier.

It would have taken just the one week but the delivery guy sucked.
Missed you, will try again tomorrow.

patman post

It's not looking good — Mum must have been lucky...

A spokesperson for the Passport Office says: "Since April 2021, we've clearly stated that people should allow up to 10 weeks when applying for their passport to factor in the increased demand, which has seen 5 million people delay their passport application due to the pandemic. Face-to-face passport services are only available by appointment."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jul/09/uk-passport-delays-queue-uk-holiday
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 05, 2022, 04:58:35 PM
This is pretty much my experience too. Well with the birth certificates. In 1981 Moira pulled "government service" rank on Newports passport office and rocked up there in person officially to get her passport in her married name, armed with a letter from the vicar, and a letter from the secretary of state for wales telling them to get their bloody finger out she was travelling for the government in October .... so she didn't have the problem I had

These days I don't think that service is available any longer

But you're a far more frequent passer through borders than me. Have you ever had extra time added on to the ten years ? I'm not keen to have some jumped up little hitler f**k with my wedding anniversary.
They initially went to the passport office in Liverpool with everything in an envelope to hand in personally but were refused entry 'Due to Covid restrictions'. Read: Every bugger was at home in their pants eating crisps cause they could. And they all got so upset because JRM left them a note suggesting that they should be in the office. 🙄 

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on August 05, 2022, 02:46:29 PM
You want a scare story?
Applied for a second passport for an employee, basically equivalent to a new passport application.
This was in the 26th Feb. After going through the signatory part three times, which they lost three times they finally got through to someone on the phone who found the application. So coming up to nearly 6 months they might get the passport, but they've lost the birth and marriage certificates.
This is pretty much my experience too. Well with the birth certificates. In 1981 Moira pulled "government service" rank on Newports passport office and rocked up there in person officially to get her passport in her married name, armed with a letter from the vicar, and a letter from the secretary of state for wales telling them to get their bloody finger out she was travelling for the government in October .... so she didn't have the problem I had

These days I don't think that service is available any longer

But you're a far more frequent passer through borders than me. Have you ever had extra time added on to the ten years ? I'm not keen to have some jumped up little hitler f**k with my wedding anniversary.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on August 05, 2022, 01:06:43 PM
I understand that:

1) your current passport runs out 16/09/23
2) you're booked to depart 09/09/23 and return on 16/09/23
3) so you plan to renew your current passport in March 2023

Why renew so early?

Although up to 9 months of "unspent time" could have been added to a passport when renewing in the past, since 2018, changes by the UK government, mean you now lose any remaining time.

In July, Mum renewed her passport through the Post Office, and it took three weeks...
In regard to why so early, the way I have been generally f**ked with when renewing before. I've only done it twice, once in 1981, a renewal of my child passport issued to be in 1960 when I was three, and again in 2013 when I wanted to go to Mexico in 2014.

Both occasions were utter cluster f**ks the first time they lost my birth certificate (and found it, probably in a photo copier !! months later) and the second time they sent my documents to the wrong address, to a person utterly unknown to me

I have no faith in the system.

If you'd only used it twice and been totally f**ked over both times, would you feel any different ??

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 05, 2022, 12:01:42 PM
Ok I've heard a lot of scare stories and guff but I was hoping someone here has personal experience

I rarely travel out of the UK for fun. For nearly three decades I was so angry at the way we were treated like shit at the airport three years running I never went abroad.

So I've never had to renew a passport while there is time left on an old one.

My existing passport expires on the 16th of September next year.

I'm booked on a flight to Croatia departing the 9th and returning the 16th.

In previous decades fear of an English Gunboat was enough to ensure passage but I suspect the navy must have had a vasectomy sometime in the 90s as it's like we only fire blanks these days.

My fear is falling foul of this business of passports being issued for more than ten years when I apply in march for one to use in September when the one I have now will still be valid for about 6 months.

Can anyone share their experience of actually renewing one ?
You want a scare story? 
Applied for a second passport for an employee, basically equivalent to a new passport application. 
This was in the 26th Feb. After going through the signatory part three times, which they lost three times they finally got through to someone on the phone who found the application. So coming up to nearly 6 months they might get the passport, but they've lost the birth and marriage certificates. 

patman post

I understand that:

1) your current passport runs out 16/09/23
2) you're booked to depart 09/09/23 and return on 16/09/23
3) so you plan to renew your current passport in March 2023

Why renew so early?

Although up to 9 months of "unspent time" could have been added to a passport when renewing in the past, since 2018, changes by the UK government, mean you now lose any remaining time.

In July, Mum renewed her passport through the Post Office, and it took three weeks...

johnofgwent

Ok I've heard a lot of scare stories and guff but I was hoping someone here has personal experience

I rarely travel out of the UK for fun. For nearly three decades I was so angry at the way we were treated like shit at the airport three years running I never went abroad. 

So I've never had to renew a passport while there is time left on an old one.

My existing passport expires on the 16th of September next year. 

I'm booked on a flight to Croatia departing the 9th and returning the 16th.

In previous decades fear of an English Gunboat was enough to ensure passage but I suspect the navy must have had a vasectomy sometime in the 90s as it's like we only fire blanks these days.

My fear is falling foul of this business of passports being issued for more than ten years when I apply in march for one to use in September when the one I have now will still be valid for about 6 months.

Can anyone share their experience of actually renewing one ?