What about water…?

Started by patman post, August 05, 2022, 07:10:09 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on August 05, 2022, 07:39:02 PM
How about a national water grid?
That won't work. In short, the energy required to pump it is just too huge. That's from a report from a water company looking to get in on the gas and electric deregulation profits.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Barry on August 05, 2022, 07:38:25 PM
Not sure what run of desalinated water means, but I get your gist.
There's a plant just along the Thames, it isn't doing much, despite the recent dry spell.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11080931/Thames-Waters-250million-desalination-plant-designed-supply-water-400-000-homes-turned-OFF.html

It was badly sited. Never mind, we can build others on the Kent coast as long as NIMBYs don't stop us. However they do take rather a a lot of electricity to run, possibly 35 MW so they need their own substation. 35 MW is about 0.1% of the whole demand of the UK.
Did I mention there is an energy crisis, a cost of living crisis and a water shortage at the same time?
Dubai gets nearly all its power from gas.
Israel is sitting on a massive gas field and the EU are hoping it will soon get pumped their way.
Left an F off — but I'll leave it there.

Many modern desalination plants are of the reverse osmosis type, and the power requirements could have been supplied by renewables — especially as the extra water requirement is seasonable and during sunny periods.

Why would the UK slavishly follow other countries, once the basic technology is available? It doesn't have oodles of fossil fuels to spare. But it does have sunshine, waves and wind...

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/reverse-osmosis
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on August 05, 2022, 07:39:02 PM
Like I said it's about investment,Kielder water was built to feed an industrial North east and then maggie arrived.....it's grossly underused.

I don't think we need desalination plants we need reservoirs and investment to stop waste.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Barry

Quote from: patman post on August 05, 2022, 07:10:09 PM
The UK is made up of islands surrounded by water.

If Dubai and Israel can run of desalinated water, what's holding the UK back from making all the freshwater it wants...?
Not sure what run of desalinated water means, but I get your gist.
There's a plant just along the Thames, it isn't doing much, despite the recent dry spell.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11080931/Thames-Waters-250million-desalination-plant-designed-supply-water-400-000-homes-turned-OFF.html

It was badly sited. Never mind, we can build others on the Kent coast as long as NIMBYs don't stop us. However they do take rather a a lot of electricity to run, possibly 35 MW so they need their own substation. 35 MW is about 0.1% of the whole demand of the UK.
Did I mention there is an energy crisis, a cost of living crisis and a water shortage at the same time?
Dubai gets nearly all its power from gas.
Israel is sitting on a massive gas field and the EU are hoping it will soon get pumped their way. 
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: patman post on August 05, 2022, 07:10:09 PM
The UK is made up of islands surrounded by water.

If Dubai and Israel can run of desalinated water, what's holding the UK back from making all the freshwater it wants...?
The Uk shouldn't need to,it's about investment
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

The UK is made up of islands surrounded by water. 

If Dubai and Israel can run of desalinated water, what's holding the UK back from making all the freshwater it wants...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...