Please Sir - I want some more.

Started by T00ts, August 06, 2022, 10:20:57 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on August 12, 2022, 09:01:14 PM
Yes, Mam. Understood Mam.

My apologies if anything I've posted caused you any upset...
Just don't do it again or I will put my Mod hat on with whip! Butt Kick   ;D

patman post

Yes, Mam. Understood Mam.

My apologies if anything I've posted caused you any upset...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Come on guys - my thread. So don't please start getting all bristly. If anyone was offended it was me and it is cleared up so move on. There were some good points from all sides.

patman post

Quote from: DeppityDawg on August 12, 2022, 07:58:00 PM
In a few short pages this thread has gone from a kind of discussion of sorts, to absolutely stinking of condescention and superiority. Its no wonder no one wants to discuss anything anymore.
Those who are able — and can stifle trading on their faux inferiority complexes — manage to put forward understandable and cogent views.

Trading insults never wins friends, even though it can get the occasional nod of agreement from Bible scholars — legit, or of the Reformed fundamental Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster type.

Why not try it?

Or perhaps cease complaining — but, then, this is not my board, any more than it is yours...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

DeppityDawg

In a few short pages this thread has gone from a kind of discussion of sorts, to absolutely stinking of condescention and superiority. Its no wonder no one wants to discuss anything anymore.

patman post

Quote from: srb7677 on August 12, 2022, 09:59:33 AM
You are an intelligent and thoughtful person and I do apologise if I in any way suggested otherwise.

But clearly there are too many people too willing to believe any shite they read in that notoriously unreliable and sometimes malicious rag. Were this not so why would they even print half of it?

One thing I will never apologise for is my disdain for the Mail, and anyone who reads it is potentially morally suspect in my eyes, though I acknowledge that not everyone who reads it will be a bad person. Especially if they are willing and able to question some of what they read.
Although from a totally different political perspective than yours, I agree.

But with the proviso, I suggest, that Mail readers should/can only really be judged if it's known what other printed news media they read as regularly.

If none, then what you say stands — perhaps except for the Express, which isn't as evil, just under-resourced...

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on August 12, 2022, 09:23:47 AM
Why is it fair to make personal criticism of those who have a different view?

Steve is a left wing snob.Not a bad lad, but he is like one of those folk who have done nothing with their lives but feel that they are better than anyone else because they keep their coal in the bath.

Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on August 12, 2022, 09:59:33 AM
You are an intelligent and thoughtful person and I do apologise if I in any way suggested otherwise.

But clearly there are too many people too willing to believe any shite they read in that notoriously unreliable and sometimes malicious rag. Were this not so why would they even print half of it?

One thing I will never apologise for is my disdain for the Mail, and anyone who reads it is potentially morally suspect in my eyes, though I acknowledge that not everyone who reads it will be a bad person. Especially if they are willing and able to question some of what they read.
You are so kind!  I confess to being a DM reader mainly because it is free and I know it well enough to be able to discern the hype, but then I am a very unusual person! Dancing Dancing In fairness though I would think that there is no source of information that is not coloured to gain readers and responses and sponsors. We all need to keep a balanced view to get anywhere near truth.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on August 12, 2022, 09:44:54 AM
Do I take that as an apology and some recognition that we all have a brain? ;D

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on August 12, 2022, 09:42:39 AM
My disdain for the Mail is borne of it's often obvious malice and frequent dishonesties. I regard those who believe in all that as having some potentially dubious motivations. But I will acknowledge that this is unlikely to be true of everyone.

But the left's disdain for the Mail is inevitable and just a fact of life, considering it's often scurrilous content. How much criticism is due to anyone who reads it is contingent upon how readily they believe in some of it's more dubious offerings.
Do I take that as an apology and some recognition that we all have a brain? ;D

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on August 12, 2022, 09:23:47 AM
Why is it fair to make personal criticism of those who have a different view? We both care about the disadvantaged but just see different ways of helping. All it does is encourage retaliation. I could equally accuse those of a left leaning tendency to be all sorts of things including brainwashed and stupid. It achieves nothing and hopefully I manage to be polite enough to avoid it. Surely the answer long term is a meeting of minds somewhere where the help for the underdog is actually useful. At present it seems to me that neither is the real answer.
My disdain for the Mail is borne of it's often obvious malice and frequent dishonesties. I regard those who believe in all that as having some potentially dubious motivations. But I will acknowledge that this is unlikely to be true of everyone.

But the left's disdain for the Mail is inevitable and just a fact of life, considering it's often scurrilous content. How much criticism is due to anyone who reads it is contingent upon how readily they believe in some of it's more dubious offerings.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on August 12, 2022, 09:03:26 AM
Indeed not. But the Daily Mail and it's readership are a stand out example of it.
Why is it fair to make personal criticism of those who have a different view? We both care about the disadvantaged but just see different ways of helping. All it does is encourage retaliation. I could equally accuse those of a left leaning tendency to be all sorts of things including brainwashed and stupid. It achieves nothing and hopefully I manage to be polite enough to avoid it. Surely the answer long term is a meeting of minds somewhere where the help for the underdog is actually useful. At present it seems to me that neither is the real answer.

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on August 12, 2022, 07:09:20 AM
Or perhaps he is one of those who knows what he is talking about most of all and is raising the alarm amidst governmental complacency. Because he does genuinely seem to care about the less well off and their struggles. No wonder the Daily Mail don't like him.

When it comes to a choice between the Mail and Martin Lewis, whom to believe is an utter no brainer for anyone who knows the track record of both. Those who choose to believe the Mail are brainwashed fools.
Brainwashing is not a prerogative of Conservatives or DM readers.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on August 11, 2022, 10:09:16 AM
LOL Hi DD - He does seem to winning the competition to be the most affective fear-mongerer.
Or perhaps he is one of those who knows what he is talking about most of all and is raising the alarm amidst governmental complacency. Because he does genuinely seem to care about the less well off and their struggles. No wonder the Daily Mail don't like him.

When it comes to a choice between the Mail and Martin Lewis, whom to believe is an utter no brainer for anyone who knows the track record of both. Those who choose to believe the Mail are brainwashed fools.