Don't pay!

Started by T00ts, August 11, 2022, 06:27:47 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Ive looked at cancelling the direct debit but have found Im on a less expensive rate by paying that way for the duel fuel deal I have so not sure that would be a clever move in my case 

Being self employed though as many on here are Im looking to offset a good lump of any increases on my tax return ,after all the 'office' will need heating and the  Mrs  secretary does like a cup of  tea .;)

Not paying isn't going to do anyone much good . Transfering your energy cost into a debt isn't going to help anyone and would agree with Good Old's point above 

What I didn't know though (sorry about the jumbled post  ) was that non domestic buildings  like shops ,factories ,schools and public buildings do not have a price cap (or government set tarriff ) Their bills could in theory go up to unafordable levels that will see them either  close or pass on the cost to us . 

johnofgwent

Quote from: Sheepy on August 11, 2022, 07:48:08 PM
I was told the other day if you don't pay, they will fit me a pay as you go meter by a fitter of meters, they would set about ruining my life making sure I couldn't work and would be in court, so I said see you soon then, who said I wasn't paying anyway, I am cancelling my Direct Debits in September and they have to send me a bill, which won't be a lot as I have made other arrangements, because anyone with an iota of sense could see this coming months ago. Well see if I give a flying one.
As I've repeatedly said here and elsewhere, I cancelled my DD about a year ago. I wrote to tell them I had, and I was leaving them as soon as I found a suitable company that allowed payment upon presentation of a bill for actual use like it used to be before these monthly direct debits.

I was contacted within hours. The CEO was the signatory so it's obviously customer retention. They said they were sorry to see me go but we're happy to send me a bill for what I actually used at the end of each month while I was looking for another supplier

I get a meter reading each month and a bill for actual usage. I then have to pay that in a bit less than 14 days. Which I do

But here's the thing. Even though I'm on the capped variable tariff which was supposed to be what 40% higher my bills are a few quid LOWER than the DD last year showing how much they ripped me off.

Given no one really has a better deal I would urge you to try this as it is crystal clear companies have been ripping us off and the "recommended" direct debit is over double what my actual bill is now. Yes I know it's summer and yes I expect it to get grim in December and yes I'll happily riot if I get the chance but my experience for about 12 months now is nothing like the armageddon they're promising..
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Good old on August 11, 2022, 07:08:57 PM
I think it's more a case of who can not pay , as against just refusing to do so. This is going to be on a par with getting into debt with a loan shark. Even if people keep using power their debt is going to be astronomical  It may well be other countries have a problem , if so they and our governments will have to completely change their spending priorities, and supply subsidies to bring power costs back within the normal demands of our economy.
Latest forecast (if there's no subsidy coming from government) for the cap is a staggering £5000...!!!

https://www.ft.com/content/048c0271-75d3-4d4e-9a00-e8fd0bf62691

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/energy-bills-could-peak-at-c2-a35000-a-year-for-households-according-to-latest-forecast/ar-AA10ydp1?fromMaestro=true

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/energy-bills-to-top-5000-next-year-in-new-shock-to-households-live-updates/ar-AA10xO8S
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on August 11, 2022, 06:27:47 PM
Is anyone planning to support/join the Don't Pay movement that is growing in strength? I see that the CEOs of the big power companies rolled up to No 10 today to get an earful from Boris and the Treasury, but there was more of a whimper than a roar by the sound of it. Decisions remain for the new Pm whoever that is. Where do they go from here?
I was told the other day if you don't pay, they will fit me a pay as you go meter by a fitter of meters, they would set about ruining my life making sure I couldn't work and would be in court, so I said see you soon then, who said I wasn't paying anyway, I am cancelling my Direct Debits in September and they have to send me a bill, which won't be a lot as I have made other arrangements, because anyone with an iota of sense could see this coming months ago. Well see if I give a flying one.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on August 11, 2022, 07:08:57 PM
I think it's more a case of who can not pay , as against just refusing to do so. This is going to be on a par with getting into debt with a loan shark. Even if people keep using power their debt is going to be astronomical  It may well be other countries have a problem , if so they and our governments will have to completely change their spending priorities, and supply subsidies to bring power costs back within the normal demands of our economy.

Told ya that is what they are heading for pay the boardroom direct. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Good old

Is anyone planning to support/join the Don't Pay movement that is growing in strength? I see that the CEOs of the big power companies rolled up to No 10 today to get an earful from Boris and the Treasury, but there was more of a whimper than a roar by the sound of it. Decisions remain for the new Pm whoever that is. Where do they go from here?
I think it's more a case of who can not pay , as against just refusing to do so. This is going to be on a par with getting into debt with a loan shark. Even if people keep using power their debt is going to be astronomical  It may well be other countries have a problem , if so they and our governments will have to completely change their spending priorities, and supply subsidies to bring power costs back within the normal demands of our economy.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on August 11, 2022, 06:52:55 PM
But it's not just us is it? All of Europe is much the same, even USA is seeing large increases. Is it simply the threat of shortages upping the markets? We can't blame it all on poor Maggie.
Oh I can,take water.....when we the public owned it there was land bought for the future to enable storage of water for an increased population.

What happened? after privatisation the land was sold off and the money pocketed but not to our advantage and dividends not investment come first,in my area North west water loses just shy of 440 million litres of water per day and the cheeky sods spend money advertising telling us water is a precious resource and exhorting us to be careful with it.

My reply to that is unprintable and her and the architect of privatisation Keith Joseph have a lot to answer for.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on August 11, 2022, 06:46:34 PM
Well it's not just power is it,never mind don't pay we've been paying the price for the folly that was the blessed maggies much vaunted policy for decades now.
But it's not just us is it? All of Europe is much the same, even USA is seeing large increases. Is it simply the threat of shortages upping the markets? We can't blame it all on poor Maggie.

cromwell

Well it's not just power is it,never mind don't pay we've been paying the price for the folly that was the blessed maggies much vaunted policy for decades now.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Is anyone planning to support/join the Don't Pay movement that is growing in strength? I see that the CEOs of the big power companies rolled up to No 10 today to get an earful from Boris and the Treasury, but there was more of a whimper than a roar by the sound of it. Decisions remain for the new Pm whoever that is. Where do they go from here?