Religion? No thanks.

Started by Nick, August 13, 2022, 11:52:08 AM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: Nick on August 13, 2022, 11:52:08 AM
This is clearly taught hatred by religious nutters so why don't we do everyone a favour and make religion illegal now?

If you mean this earnestly, then you have to give details, for example how are you defining religion, and what evidence would be required for criminal punishment.
Don't believe everything you think.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on August 14, 2022, 02:53:25 AM
India must have its problems and religious nutters but I've not seen any evidence if it. 

India arranged to have its minority religions slaughtered or expelled in the late 1940s. They called it "partition".
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on August 14, 2022, 08:55:16 PM
That for me is the nail in the coffin. The fact that there are over 2000 religions in the world, all stating that theirs is the real one tells me that they are all wrong. The big problem you have is that there is and never will be one single piece of evidence to prove the existence of God, and if you put your best case you could possibly build in front of a court of law you would lose. As I have stolen from others before, if all science and religious books were destroyed and the knowledge lost, in time the science books would be rewritten exactly as they were. The religious books would be completely different as they would be rebuilt from stories as they were now.
Nick I can't help you to understand and perhaps you never will but one day there will be a moment when all of us will know the truth. Faith doesn't just involve the head but the heart too. If we only approach it with what we see as intellect without recognising the feel of truth there is no way forward. Until mankind realises that they are not actually the best thing since sliced bread in this universe and learn to accept their lowliness and dependency on the grace of a much superior power, with humility, this great conundrum will continue. The reason that there are so many representations of God is quite easily explained from history. We were given the truth but like all stories handed down through the ages they become Chinese Whispers hence all the deviations from the truth, all the misrepresentations and changes. 

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on August 14, 2022, 08:44:25 AM
But I was under the impression that teaching about [highlight]lots of different faiths[/highlight] was part of forming an inclusive society. If you are going to call time on that then why not sex orientation? That too is becoming mind bending.
That for me is the nail in the coffin. The fact that there are over 2000 religions in the world, all stating that theirs is the real one tells me that they are all wrong. The big problem you have is that there is and never will be one single piece of evidence to prove the existence of God, and if you put your best case you could possibly build in front of a court of law you would lose. As I have stolen from others before, if all science and religious books were destroyed and the knowledge lost, in time the science books would be rewritten exactly as they were. The religious books would be completely different as they would be rebuilt from stories as they were now. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on August 14, 2022, 08:44:25 AM
But I was under the impression that teaching about lots of different faiths was part of forming an inclusive society. If you are going to call time on that then why not sex orientation? That too is becoming mind bending.
Teaching people about religions even-handedly is fine. But schools that adhere to one particular faith are the real problem, Schools should also be entirely free of religious ceremony. Those who want that can go to their churches, temples, synagogues, and mosques.

It is when teaching about religions crosses the line into indoctrination that is the problem.

As for sex orientation, this is a reality of life people should be taught about. But again there should be no indoctrination, though that does not mean that bigotry and hatred should be allowed.

In any case, sexual orientation cannot be taught. That is a false flag believed in by some phobes. People are naturally either gay, straight or bisexual, which is an inherent part of them which cannot be changed. A kid cannot be taught to be gay, if that is the silly notion you are worrying about.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on August 14, 2022, 06:37:12 AM
Banning religion would be morally problematic for freedom of thought and freedom of conscience reasons. And it can have the opposite effect to the one intended. For example, the communist states of eastern Europe tried to ban religion but this just strengthened the churches, most notably in Poland, as they became a focus for anti-government feeling.

What I would like to see though is the banning of religious schools and the teaching of religion in schools because this can be tantamount to indoctrination. Many of the middle eastern extremists were taught and indoctrinated in extremist madrassah's. We should not be allowing anything like that here.

Nor can we allow the adherents of any particular religion to decide which religions are acceptable and which not. The ban on religious teachings in schools must apply to all without fear nor favour. Kids will still be free to practice their religion outside of school but schools themselves should not be functioning as places of religious indoctrination.
But I was under the impression that teaching about lots of different faiths was part of forming an inclusive society. If you are going to call time on that then why not sex orientation? That too is becoming mind bending. 

srb7677

Salman Rushdie is on a ventilator and looks like losing the sight in one eye after he was attacked by a guy who wasn't even born for 10 years after his book. This is clearly taught hatred by religious nutters so why don't we do everyone a favour and make religion illegal now? Let's face it, it's slowly on its way out now, just give it a bit of a shove.
Banning religion would be morally problematic for freedom of thought and freedom of conscience reasons. And it can have the opposite effect to the one intended. For example, the communist states of eastern Europe tried to ban religion but this just strengthened the churches, most notably in Poland, as they became a focus for anti-government feeling.

What I would like to see though is the banning of religious schools and the teaching of religion in schools because this can be tantamount to indoctrination. Many of the middle eastern extremists were taught and indoctrinated in extremist madrassah's. We should not be allowing anything like that here.

Nor can we allow the adherents of any particular religion to decide which religions are acceptable and which not. The ban on religious teachings in schools must apply to all without fear nor favour. Kids will still be free to practice their religion outside of school but schools themselves should not be functioning as places of religious indoctrination.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on August 13, 2022, 12:35:35 PM
I just wonder how anyone would manage to control every individual successfully enough to eradicate all evil acts. Even without religion as a prompt there are gangs which are also a form of religion to some. Mankind has freewill to behave as they see fit nothing will remove that.
But surely if you remove the peg they'd have nothing to hang their hat on? If they have nothing to do 'in the name of' then they would simply be crackpots instead of religious crackpots. India must have its problems and religious nutters but I've not seen any evidence if it. The underlying feeling you get is a race of people that try to do good deeds on a daily basis and are respectful of each other, the same can't be said of their neighbours, whom are almost identical except for the religious tripe that they read. The only conclusion can be that the religious text they read is poisonous and in my opinion should banned. Another question must be, how did the C of E get to be one of the biggest landowners in the U.K. if not by dodgy deeds?

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on August 13, 2022, 01:44:46 PM
But isn't Free Will a gift from God?

If so, did it not come with certain caveats...?
Not that I'm aware of. What have you got in mind?

patman post

But isn't Free Will a gift from God?

If so, did it not come with certain caveats...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on August 13, 2022, 12:30:10 PM
We have been told by some that Thomas Mair who shouted "Britain First" as he murdered Jo Cox is not representative of the Britain First party.

I wonder if we'll get to be told similar about Salmon Rushdie's attacker and his apparently guiding beliefs...
I just wonder how anyone would manage to control every individual successfully enough to eradicate all evil acts. Even without religion as a prompt there are gangs which are also a form of religion to some. Mankind has freewill to behave as they see fit nothing will remove that.

patman post

We have been told by some that Thomas Mair who shouted "Britain First" as he murdered Jo Cox is not representative of the Britain First party.

I wonder if we'll get to be told similar about Salmon Rushdie's attacker and his apparently guiding beliefs...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Salman Rushdie is on a ventilator and looks like losing the sight in one eye after he was attacked by a guy who wasn't even born for 10 years after his book. This is clearly taught hatred by religious nutters so why don't we do everyone a favour and make religion illegal now? Let's face it, it's slowly on its way out now, just give it a bit of a shove.
I understand that sentiment of course, bad things happen. Surely it is only fair to look at individual religions though and discern just which are honest and teach good things and those that don't. There is little wrong with an organised religion that teaches ways that allows people to live together in harmony even if they might disagree on their God. Sadly it is the extremists who create the havoc and that is not true Godly religion but a manmade creation that has more in common with the adversary than God.I don't think it would be possible to make all religions illegal. Many countries have tried even down to having a national religion. After all we have one here. Some versions of religion are evil but so many are not. Who is going to decide which? The Archbishop of Canterbury or the Queen?

Nick

Salman Rushdie is on a ventilator and looks like losing the sight in one eye after he was attacked by a guy who wasn't even born for 10 years after his book. This is clearly taught hatred by religious nutters so why don't we do everyone a favour and make religion illegal now? Let's face it, it's slowly on its way out now, just give it a bit of a shove.