How many things…

Started by Nick, August 17, 2022, 08:47:53 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 14, 2023, 02:11:02 PM
Look we're not talking about what the man down the chip shop said, we're talking about what the official campaigns said.

And you know full well the EU courts only had power to overrule us on relatively niff naff and trivia.   
Again focussing on your last point, actually, no, thats not the case is it.

It was an absolute requirement that EU law overruled law passed by the sovereign nation. Take a proper look at the what is it 52 ? pages if the so called Windsor Agreement which has been named that as a sham.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 17, 2023, 08:27:00 PM
The EEC was a boost for the economy the EU was drain on it .  Having a boost is a piss poor return for wearing hancuffs for the best part of 50 years but there you go .
You will have to ask Boris about the bus , it had nothing to do with people who had campiagned to leave the EU for 5/10/20 30 years
The cost for leaving is far in excess of what the UK was paying, that's been shown and posted here many times. Its costs far more than the circa 150m a week the UK was paying. Why do you think the big boys like Germany promote the EU, its the benefits that all members have, large and small.

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on April 17, 2023, 07:20:57 PM
The Uk originally stayed out of the EEC, it was only when those members economies started to shoot ahead of the UK did the UK request membership. The EEC...EU.. has been a great boost to the UK economy, now that you're out you can start to see that unrolling.
You might be happy with it taking 50yrs to but are all the 17million happy with that. WHy wasn't that painted on the big red bus rather than the 350m a week for the NHS.
The EEC was a boost for the economy the EU was drain on it .  Having a boost is a piss poor return for wearing hancuffs for the best part of 50 years but there you go . 
You will have to ask Boris about the bus , it had nothing to do with people who had campiagned to leave the EU for 5/10/20 30 years 

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on April 14, 2023, 04:52:42 PM
Sadly for the remainers and the rest of the Brussels Bumboys, the man down the chip shop was allowed to vote. No doubt things would have been better had the vote been restricted to the Lib Dems and Guardian readers, but there you are.

Prior to the referendum a chap from the Lib Dems came round and asked how I would vote.

I replied that I would vote Brexit because I wanted British laws made in Britain.

He replied that most were.

I said that I was a pig' I didn't want most, I wanted them all.

We parted on a note of mutual incomprehension
That works until you sign a trade agreement and that has you tied in some way with your new partner. Possibly manufacturing standards, reducing your ability to make your own laws in certain regards. Its nearly impossible to be 100% sovereign as you describe, in todays world. Choosing to be in the EU and leaving of your own choice without any interference or block is being fully sovereign in my books. LIke how Scotland isn't 100% sovereign because England can block its wishes, now that's wrong. Ironically, what's so important to the people of England isn't something they think is important for Scotland.

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 13, 2023, 06:12:01 AM
On the other hand . How many companies and individuals lost out when we joined the EEC / EU ?  Rules on procurement ,government contracts ,Fishing boats destroyed , post office being split up , builders being undercut , low wage entry level jobs for our kids being taken by 30 year old EU workers , ect , ect , ect .

Worldwide problems have put a bit of a dampener on progress but really if companies cant sort out a bit of paperwork when dealing with exports to the EU they need to have a look at their business model . As alluded to above we have had to deal with worse during our occupation and if it takes 50 years to unravel it it will be a worth it .
The Uk originally stayed out of the EEC, it was only when those members economies started to shoot ahead of the UK did the UK request membership. The EEC...EU.. has been a great boost to the UK economy, now that you're out you can start to see that unrolling.
You might be happy with it taking 50yrs to but are all the 17million happy with that. WHy wasn't that painted on the big red bus rather than the 350m a week for the NHS. 

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on April 12, 2023, 04:58:58 PM
And that is the premise of the whole list. The articles contain numerous reasons but the headline is always Brexit.
Take out brexit and you won't have a list

GerryT

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 12, 2023, 04:48:24 PM
The problem may be that, unwisely and incorrectly, your yorkshirebylines link did in its wording claim solely Brexit for that first (#300) entry

'
300Armadilla, a modular buildings co in Scotland closes with the loss 29 jobs due to Brexit costs
It may give an impression that it's totally brexit, but that's not what it say's. A quick scan of the link and it shows the key impacts were cost (brexit) time delays (brexit) and the pandemic postponing orders. Its possible that without brexit the company may have had layoffs while it struggled through the pandemic, but add brexit and it's curtains.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Borchester on April 14, 2023, 04:52:42 PM
Sadly for the remainers and the rest of the Brussels Bumboys, the man down the chip shop was allowed to vote. No doubt things would have been better had the vote been restricted to the Lib Dems and Guardian readers, but there you are.

Prior to the referendum a chap from the Lib Dems came round and asked how I would vote.

I replied that I would vote Brexit because I wanted British laws made in Britain.

And that's a fair view.  But I suggest you were one of the say 10 million that were solid leavers all the time.  The line of debate is about the dishonesty used by official campaigns to get you another 7 million. 

Borchester

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 14, 2023, 02:11:02 PM
Look we're not talking about what the man down the chip shop said, we're talking about what the official campaigns said.

And you know full well the EU courts only had power to overrule us on relatively niff naff and trivia.   

Algerie Francais !

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: johnofgwent on April 14, 2023, 01:50:46 PM
Oh i dont think that last point can go unchallenged

Where was the right of freedom of Service Provision for a start

The right of the EU courts to overrule us, and the primacy of EU legislation, were all denied by remain activists.

And you know full well the EU courts only had power to overrule us on relatively niff naff and trivia.    

johnofgwent

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 14, 2023, 10:27:13 AM
Farage the fake actually used the figure of £55M a day (which is £385M a week)

Here's his 2014 manifesto  http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/themes/5308a93901925b5b09000002/attachments/original/1398869254/EuroManifestoLaunch.pdf?1398869254

'This is the European Union we find ourselves in now, a bureaucratic organisation writing our laws and costing us all £55 million per day in membership fees.'

Note also the lie about 'writing our laws' in fact they only wrote a very few.  Here's two pages listing the laws made that mattered that year (2014) https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2014  Just one out of 30 was endorsing EU rules.  And then there's all the Statutory Instruments that get laid before Parliament and approved unless the house objects.

Nick just needs to accept that it took a massive amount of lying over several years by leavers to get the UK voters anywhere near that 52% and he still hasn't found a lie by the Remain campaigns.
Oh i dont think that last point can go unchallenged

Where was the right of freedom of Service Provision for a start

The right of the EU courts to overrule us, and the primacy of EU legislation, were all denied by remain activists.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: johnofgwent on April 14, 2023, 06:40:12 AM
https://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-02-08/ukip-50-million-a-day-to-be-a-member-of-the-eu/

The Video is of course 'no longer available' but i dont think ITV can use Arsebook's excuses to avoid libel laws.
Farage the fake actually used the figure of £55M a day (which is £385M a week)

Here's his 2014 manifesto  http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/themes/5308a93901925b5b09000002/attachments/original/1398869254/EuroManifestoLaunch.pdf?1398869254

'This is the European Union we find ourselves in now, a bureaucratic organisation writing our laws and costing us all £55 million per day in membership fees.'

Note also the lie about 'writing our laws' in fact they only wrote a very few.  Here's two pages listing the laws made that mattered that year (2014)  https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2014  Just one out of 30 was endorsing EU rules.  And then there's all the Statutory Instruments that get laid before Parliament and approved unless the house objects.

Nick just needs to accept that it took a massive amount of lying over several years by leavers to get the UK voters anywhere near that 52% and he still hasn't found a lie by the Remain campaigns.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 14, 2023, 06:52:26 AM
No not the announcement of the date Nick but just before Christmas 2015  when the Referendum act received Royal assent . Cameron announced the date in the following February

The true cost of EU membership was more like £980M a week or £51 Billion per annum if you include the cost of EU economic migration and the losses of tax revenues caused by predatory tax practices of other member states
That last point you make is often ignored

Within months of Brown inventing IR35 to F@@@ over it contractors to get back at one who two timed his assistant at the treasury Sarah Walker (the woman who uttered the fateful words that allowed gays and lesbians to avoid ir35), everyone who freelanced for the navy after ferranti's demise and Marconi's piss poor attempt to make a killing from it got a letter from the irish government. I don't doubt many thousands of others got the same letter, i merely state when i got mine i rang round everyone i knew who tendered for the work i did and we ALL had one exactly the same.

in short the letter, which came from their equivalent of our DTI stated bluntly that following Gordon Brown's assault on the small business sector, if i was interested in seeking a means to continue in profitable business in the high tech sector i might like to contact any of the following (sizeable list) of UK companies who were opening sites in 'Shamrock Glen' to see if they wished to invite me to tender for business with them, and that if i chose to set up a business presence in the republic i would enjoy preferential (10%) corporation tax and naturally by status as an SME would be respected. Unquote

I myself did not take advantage of this offer first because i didn't fancy having operations in two countries but also because i and my staff - this was a point in time when i actually had to take people on (short term) to get stuff done - were overworked in the uk but of course i had no idea that vindictive bastard Blair would go so far to F@@@ List X rated independents.

However, i know lots of people who did open up a presence in the republic of ireland to make money from their response to Blair and Browns hatred of the little guy.

Plus of course IBM, Oracle, Microsoft and Boeing to name just four i know of all closed part of their UK operation and moved to Ireland. Microsoft Action Pack updates and Oracle software upgrades for example arrived at my home office and rented office not from Greenock and Reading as before, but from County whateveritwas.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on April 13, 2023, 07:58:29 PM
What kind of politico are you stating something is set in stone when announced in a manifesto? Ask SW when he finally believed we were going to get a referendum, I'm betting circa when Cameron announced the date, almost certainly not from a manifesto pledge
No not the announcement of the date Nick but just before Christmas 2015  when the Referendum act received Royal assent . Cameron announced the date in the following February

The true cost of EU membership was more like £980M a week or £51 Billion per annum if you include the cost of EU economic migration and the losses of tax revenues caused by predatory tax practices of other member states 

johnofgwent

https://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-02-08/ukip-50-million-a-day-to-be-a-member-of-the-eu/

The Video is of course 'no longer available' but i dont think ITV can use Arsebook's excuses to avoid libel laws.