How many things…

Started by Nick, August 17, 2022, 08:47:53 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 01, 2023, 06:13:03 AM
Nick the trade deal with Australia will in five years time screw British farming. If you ever bothered to keep up with current affairs you would know that.

What does Britain joining the Pacific Trade bloc mean for farmers? – NFUonline
You're talking rubbish as usual, even your own link says there will be more opportunities for British farmers. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 01, 2023, 03:09:15 AM
Ok Smurf, explain why British farming existed perfectly well before the EEC / EU and now say they will be affected by the trade deal with Australasia.
Nick the trade deal with Australia will in five years time screw British farming. If you ever bothered to keep up with current affairs you would know that.

What does Britain joining the Pacific Trade bloc mean for farmers? – NFUonline
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on April 30, 2023, 02:41:00 PM
Nick you very obviously know zero about British farming, (or fishing,) both of which have been screwed by Brexit plus British government imposed regulations.
Ok Smurf, explain why British farming existed perfectly well before the EEC / EU and now say they will be affected by the trade deal with Australasia. 

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on April 30, 2023, 02:41:00 PM
Nick you very obviously know zero about British farming, (or fishing,) both of which have been screwed by Brexit plus British government imposed regulations.

This is true and I don't know how anyone would dare argue with Pappy, who knows everything.

That said, I was talking to a farmer friend recently and he said

(a) that the only thing that would save UK farming would be another war. Apparently only the EU's wolf packs would enable British farmers to raise their prices to the required levels

(b) his main crop and the main crop of every farmer he knew, is tourists.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on April 30, 2023, 02:18:12 PM
The U.K. dropped many Commonwealth countries in favour of EEC, Australia and NZ  we're especially upset, but have stated they forgive the U.K. now. Strange how when the Lamb and such coming from these 2 countries was in full flow was no issue, now we are potentially going back to this time the farmers are up in arms. They've all gone soft sitting on their arses being paid to grow nowt.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: patman post on April 30, 2023, 11:23:21 AM
Like many commodities that the UK imported from Commonwealth producers, sugar was purchased at prices effectively dictated by the UK that were below world prices. When the UK joined the EEC, and ditched many of its deals with Commonwealth suppliers — some like fruit producers in NZ who had geared up to solely supply the UK had to look for other buyers. Cane sugar producers especially felt freed from their UK-imposed deal prices and took advantage of the UK cutting trade ties with its Commonwealth suppliers and sought to sell on the world market.

France's Caribbean cane sugar suppliers continued to supply France, and still does today...

PS — many are classed as metropolitan France and residents are citizens of France and, therefore, of the EU.
The U.K. dropped many Commonwealth countries in favour of EEC, Australia and NZ  we're especially upset, but have stated they forgive the U.K. now. Strange how when the Lamb and such coming from these 2 countries was in full flow was no issue, now we are potentially going back to this time the farmers are up in arms. They've all gone soft sitting on their arses being paid to grow nowt. 

patman post

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 29, 2023, 10:31:32 PM
Sugar is actually an example of where the EU got it right. 

Some of us are old enough to remember the world sugar crisis of the 1970s and how various Commonwealth countries broke agreements with the UK and instead sold to the USA at higher prices.  We had empty shop shelves and effectively had sugar rationing.  The EU (then the EEC) knew 3 things:

1: Sugar is a strategic need of the European countries and so needed to be substantially sourced in Europe
2: The only way to do that was with tariffs to protect that local production
3: Companies like Tate and Lyle would whine that their profits should come before protecting the consumer from sugar rationing

The current tariff is ~30p a kilo (waived for ~45 so called least developed countries mainly in Africa)

You want a reliable source of strategic supplies you have to pay a bit more for it.
Like many commodities that the UK imported from Commonwealth producers, sugar was purchased at prices effectively dictated by the UK that were below world prices. When the UK joined the EEC, and ditched many of its deals with Commonwealth suppliers — some like fruit producers in NZ who had geared up to solely supply the UK had to look for other buyers. Cane sugar producers especially felt freed from their UK-imposed deal prices and took advantage of the UK cutting trade ties with its Commonwealth suppliers and sought to sell on the world market.

France's Caribbean cane sugar suppliers continued to supply France, and still does today...

PS — many are classed as metropolitan France and residents are citizens of France and, therefore, of the EU.
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on April 29, 2023, 07:09:13 PM
It's not an exaggeration, and that's why T and L wanted out of the EU.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-tateandlylesugars-idUKKCN0WQ24R
Sugar is actually an example of where the EU got it right.  

Some of us are old enough to remember the world sugar crisis of the 1970s and how various Commonwealth countries broke agreements with the UK and instead sold to the USA at higher prices.  We had empty shop shelves and effectively had sugar rationing.  The EU (then the EEC) knew 3 things:

1: Sugar is a strategic need of the European countries and so needed to be substantially sourced in Europe
2: The only way to do that was with tariffs to protect that local production
3: Companies like Tate and Lyle would whine that their profits should come before protecting the consumer from sugar rationing

The current tariff is ~30p a kilo (waived for ~45 so called least developed countries mainly in Africa)

You want a reliable source of strategic supplies you have to pay a bit more for it.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on April 29, 2023, 06:46:26 PM
French supermarket sugar shelves are stockpiled with cane sugar. Complaining the EU stopped the U.K. importing food from Commonwealth trading partners appears to be an exaggeration. If fact, the UK got NZ lamb and dairy products accepted in the EEC.

What's happening at the moment is that the UK is in a difficult place with a myriad itty bitty deals around the globe and nothing to compare with what it's lost by leaving the EU.

For God's sake, some people are hailing the UK's expertise in digital gaming as a reason for optimism...
It's not an exaggeration, and that's why T and L wanted out of the EU. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-tateandlylesugars-idUKKCN0WQ24R

patman post

French supermarket sugar shelves are stockpiled with cane sugar. Complaining the EU stopped the U.K. importing food from Commonwealth trading partners appears to be an exaggeration. If fact, the UK got NZ lamb and dairy products accepted in the EEC. 

What's happening at the moment is that the UK is in a difficult place with a myriad itty bitty deals around the globe and nothing to compare with what it's lost by leaving the EU. 

For God's sake, some people are hailing the UK's expertise in digital gaming as a reason for optimism...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 29, 2023, 12:06:56 AM
You doth protest too much and then hypocritically demand others post referenced figures when you don't.

Here's the truth about our food  https://www.food.gov.uk/our-work/chapter-2-going-global-food-imports-and-their-impact-on-the-standards 

'
Nearly half of what we eat comes into the UK from abroad, and two-thirds of that has in recent years come from the EU.'

Figure 17: Percentage of total UK consumption of major POAO categories

Figure 18: % of total UK consumption of major FNAO categories

And that's why your no deal supposed dream would actually have been a complete nightmare.

Feel free to post up the price of Australasian vegetables FOB UK supermarket shelf.  And then their fresh fruit.

The article does actually say that the U.K. is moving away from reliance on the EU and we will have joined the CPTPP this year making it a larger trading block than the EU. The block has some of the major food exporters in the world like Brasil. 
The reason we were so reliant on the EU for sugar was because they blocked us importing from Africa. Tate & Lyle used to have 2 or 3 container ships per week docking in Liverpool, last time I was there the bays were empty, hopefully this will return to how it was before. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on April 29, 2023, 11:08:52 AM
You don't think being a proven serial liar (esp to the House), getting caught using his PM powers for personal gain and enabling a known sexual predator to be able to further pursue his 'hobby' with extra powers had anything to do with it?

I'd say get real but well you know
Im not saying any of that was not good reason for the party to change leader but his dealings with the EU was when orders from above were issued to get rid .

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 29, 2023, 11:01:32 AM
True, and if they had been in charge of the leaving process things would have been different . It has always amazed me that after we voted leave that UKIP were not involved in the talks with regard the WA . That the Conservatives , the party that voted remain would decide how we left.  It was only years after the event with the WA already agreed by May  that a leaver ,Johnson got to put his stamp on it .
They got him out for playing hardball with the EU over NI regardless of what anyone tells you about cakes and installed the globalist puppet Sunak who immediately got cosy with VDL and  as we speak is reforming the cabinet to be more euro friendly with remainers installed with every reshuffle.
You don't think being a proven serial liar (esp to the House), getting caught using his PM powers for personal gain and enabling a known sexual predator to be able to further pursue his 'hobby' with extra powers had anything to do with it?

I'd say get real but well you know

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on April 28, 2023, 08:49:49 AM
Nigel Farage and UKIP led the campaign to leave the EU. Without them we'd still be in the EU and most people would be quite happy about that. They raised consciousness with propaganda and misinformation, which got us in the mess we're in now.
True, and if they had been in charge of the leaving process things would have been different . It has always amazed me that after we voted leave that UKIP were not involved in the talks with regard the WA . That the Conservatives , the party that voted remain would decide how we left.  It was only years after the event with the WA already agreed by May  that a leaver ,Johnson got to put his stamp on it . 
They got him out for playing hardball with the EU over NI regardless of what anyone tells you about cakes and installed the globalist puppet Sunak who immediately got cosy with VDL and  as we speak is reforming the cabinet to be more euro friendly with remainers installed with every reshuffle.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Borchester on April 29, 2023, 02:09:13 AM
Didn't not the UK starve to death after the 2016 referendum?

I know that Gerry said that we would because the Irish farmers would close down the butter and bacon mines and no one would dare question the lad on such matters
Well I didn't say that.  Would have been more than trifle tough though if we'd never agreed that deal.  

I've taken issue with Gerry's comments too.  I really detest seeing debate decline into people positioning ridiculous extremes.

PS it's not a mine, it's a bacon river