Main Menu

Natural Selection

Started by Nick, August 17, 2022, 12:42:14 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Barry on August 18, 2022, 06:29:08 PM
What's this boss man stuff?
I think I've had enough of this thread. Bye.
If you were keeping up, I put you in charge of determining how to control population, that makes you the boss. Nothing else implied. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: Nalaar on August 18, 2022, 01:27:15 PM
My post referenced people who agreed with the sentiment implied by the statement you posted in the OP, if you do not agree with that statement then the content of my post doesn't apply to you.
And who are the people you referenced? You seem to be the first person in history to reference someone without referencing them. 

Barry

Quote from: Nick on August 18, 2022, 06:27:03 PM
So my suggestions have now modulated to implications have they?
So boss man, which viable option are you going to take to reduce the planets population?
What's this boss man stuff?
I think I've had enough of this thread. Bye.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: Barry on August 18, 2022, 05:46:51 PM
Posting by implication is a technique which is quite cowardly. Some posters do it all the time, no names mentioned. The result is that people who feel they have actual convictions to stand by can get triggered then the cowardly poster can hide behind his implication or suggestion as if it was never his. It makes for a tiresome discussion. Nalaar gets it.
So my suggestions have now modulated to implications have they? 
So boss man, which viable option are you going to take to reduce the planets population? 

Barry

Quote from: Nick on August 18, 2022, 05:16:39 PM
Why not eat a slice of bread Barry.

Does that mean I think you should eat bread?
Posting by implication is a technique which is quite cowardly. Some posters do it all the time, no names mentioned. The result is that people who feel they have actual convictions to stand by can get triggered then the cowardly poster can hide behind his implication or suggestion as if it was never his. It makes for a tiresome discussion. Nalaar gets it.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: Nalaar on August 18, 2022, 01:27:15 PM
My post referenced people who agreed with the sentiment implied by the statement you posted in the OP, if you do not agree with that statement then the content of my post doesn't apply to you.
Ah, so now it's implied sentiment. 

Nick

Quote from: Barry on August 18, 2022, 03:32:58 PM
But you did in your OP. There are no question marks in your OP, so what you wrote are suggestions of yours, aren't they?
The UK has already got a birth rate of 1.65. Remember 2.4 children? It doesn't apply any more.
Get the rest of the world to start co-operating. If they don't, we'll all eventually starve to death.

SPOILER: This is not how it all ends. :-\
Why not eat a slice of bread Barry.

Does that mean I think you should eat bread?

Barry

Quote from: Nick on August 18, 2022, 05:04:44 AM
Nick hasn't said anything of the sort Barry. But tell me, when the earth is packed to the rafters and you're the man who has to create the policy to get the earth back to manageable numbers, what would your solution be Barry? The way I see it you've got limited choices: artificially cap peoples lifespan, stop people procreating or let nature do it's thing.
But you did in your OP. There are no question marks in your OP, so what you wrote are suggestions of yours, aren't they?
The UK has already got a birth rate of 1.65. Remember 2.4 children? It doesn't apply any more.
Get the rest of the world to start co-operating. If they don't, we'll all eventually starve to death.

SPOILER: This is not how it all ends. :-\
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: Good old on August 18, 2022, 02:32:15 PM
No, to the first part of that question. As for global warming we need to be sure of what are the causes, and as of yet that is not clear, though it is likely humanity doesn't help it .
There has to be clear distinctions in how to curb human reproduction. It's one thing to contemplate reducing the occurrence of pregnancy . To contemplating dispatching of specimens thought have no purpose for the general good.
If we go down that route then we are on the route to out right elitism . And it's perfectly right to perceive the idea as fascist. And if we did it could be said we will have abandoned our right to consider ourselves as more than just another animal relying purely on instinct .  When it comes to global warming ,just arguing ,or even proving it's not human made , will not save humanity from it if it's a fact ,and the globe is warming.
Agree with a lot said there,not many years ago someone came up with global dimming which in fact cools the earth,is it an inconvenient truth in part or full which is now ignored?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Good old

Quote from: cromwell on August 18, 2022, 01:47:29 PM
Can anyone deny the population is too great and it's probably that which is the greater danger rather than global warming?

No, to the first part of that question. As for global warming we need to be sure of what are the causes, and as of yet that is not clear, though it is likely humanity doesn't help it .
There has to be clear distinctions in how to curb human reproduction. It's one thing to contemplate reducing the occurrence of pregnancy . To contemplating dispatching of specimens thought have no purpose for the general good.
If we go down that route then we are on the route to out right elitism . And it's perfectly right to perceive the idea as fascist. And if we did it could be said we will have abandoned our right to consider ourselves as more than just another animal relying purely on instinct .  When it comes to global warming ,just arguing ,or even proving it's not human made , will not save humanity from it if it's a fact ,and the globe is warming. 

cromwell

Can anyone deny the population is too great and it's probably that which is the greater danger rather than global warming?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nalaar

Quote from: Nick on August 18, 2022, 01:00:12 PM
I know you'd love to hang one of the statements on me, but you can't because I haven't expressed a view on it.

My post referenced people who agreed with the sentiment implied by the statement you posted in the OP, if you do not agree with that statement then the content of my post doesn't apply to you.
Don't believe everything you think.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on August 18, 2022, 07:59:16 AM
The only humane course of action out of those three is to reduce procreation by providing ready access to contraceptives globally and encouraging less children. Mandatory limits though would be far too draconian. In the west we are already almost there with children being born at a rate that only just about maintains numbers. In some western countries population is actually declining. But it is in the poorer parts of the world where population growth is most rampant, and this is where our focus on reducing the numbers being born should be.
Sorry but doing that Steve has very profound effects on on the human race. For one, fertility rates start to drop significantly and it's possible that we can't recover. The other side of it is that certain religious sections of the population prefer a certain sex, so having a limited number of children means they will select the sex they want and the other will go missing. This dramatically upsets the population balance.

Nick

Quote from: Nalaar on August 18, 2022, 10:34:15 AM
The statements form the sentiments of people who believe the statements to be true.
sentiment noun (IDEA)

C2 [ C or U ] formal
thoughtopinion, or idea based on a feeling about a situation, or a way of thinking about something:

Nothing, excluding my view in Africa was a though, opinion, or an idea. I haven't expressed a way of thinking.
Just a series of factual statements and following questions. 

I know you'd love to hang one of the statements on me, but you can't because I haven't expressed a view on it.

Nalaar

Quote from: Nick on August 17, 2022, 02:32:45 PM
No sentiments, just statements and question.

The statements form the sentiments of people who believe the statements to be true. 
Don't believe everything you think.