I can’t wait for your take on this 😂

Started by Nick, August 22, 2022, 02:45:37 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Over the past few decades I've had the less than enviable task of sitting in the public gallery or witness box watching a collection of these jerks collecting telephone number salaries.

Not one of them was worth more than a school leaver flipping burgers at McDonalds.

I hope they enjoy their period if starvation.

Are the scum who keep interfering with deportations ALSO on strike ? Get those planes fuelled and off the runways bound for Rwanda.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nalaar

Quote from: patman post on August 22, 2022, 06:57:32 PM
The dispute is the low fees for legal aid work and, while I don't know the pay packets of any barrister's, I did hear one on LBC this morning citing an example of being self employed and having to pay for travel to short preliminary hearings out of London, that may only give him £46 — not much left out of that fee, especially if a lunchtime sandwich is taken.

About 15 years ago I was assisting a barrister for a while, basic administrative stuff, during one case while the client was signing the legal aid paperwork he asked the barrister how much he got paid for him that day, if I recall correctly the barrister said £39, to which the client replied 'wow £39 for 10 minutes work' the barrister replied in turn '£39 to drive 90-minutes here, wait for 2 hours for our case to be called, outline in 10 minutes how we intend to protect your liberties, having liaised with your solicitor over the past few days and consulting the relevant case files, and I still have a 90-minute drive home ahead, wow indeed.'

He was being uppish, but he was utterly correct.
Don't believe everything you think.

Nalaar

Quote from: Nick on August 22, 2022, 05:39:55 PM
I didn't say they earned low salaries, that was the whole basis of my post, I said the low salaries mentioned in the piece are from their Pro Bono work, an intimation that they earn more money from other work.

"That's why they cannot survive doing criminal work, and that's why they're walking away," Ms Heeley said.

I don't think you know what pro-bono work is.
Junior barristers are not earning low wages because of "their pro-bono work".
They are not undertaking pro-bono work.
It is understandable that they are unhappy with things at they currently are, and take to strike action.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on August 22, 2022, 05:39:55 PM
I didn't say they earned low salaries, that was the whole basis of my post, I said the low salaries mentioned in the piece are from their Pro Bono work, an intimation that they earn more money from other work.

"That's why they cannot survive doing criminal work, and that's why they're walking away," Ms Heeley said.
Pro bono = free, gratis, unpaid, unrewarded, unsalaried, free of charge

I don't think any of the dispute is over such work. In fact, I doubt any young barrister would be able to afford to undertake much pro bono work.

The dispute is the low fees for legal aid work and, while I don't know the pay packets of any barrister's, I did hear one on LBC this morning citing an example of being self employed and having to pay for travel to short preliminary hearings out of London, that may only give him £46 — not much left out of that fee, especially if a lunchtime sandwich is taken.

Newspapers like the Mail accuse lawyers and judges of being traitors because of how trials and sentences are administered — why aren't they being more voluble about the delays to trials and justice, especially since January, but particularly now...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on August 22, 2022, 04:16:24 PM
Barristers spend most of their first few years being skint, and then earn telephone numbers. Loathsome people, but if I were ever standing in the dock, the one thing I would not want is to be defended by a cut price lawyer.
Well I know of a legal person by a family misfortune,not loathsome at all.

Operates to the highest of standards and without bias,now a judge and someone Iwhose judgement I would trust.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on August 22, 2022, 04:16:24 PM
Barristers spend most of their first few years being skint, and then earn telephone numbers. Loathsome people, but if I were ever standing in the dock, the one thing I would not want is to be defended by a cut price lawyer.
Not sure you'd get too long a stretch for squeezing someone else's Parsnips!!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: Nalaar on August 22, 2022, 03:42:37 PM
Where did you get this information that the low salaries are caused by Pro-bono work?

from the article

"She said the median pay for a junior barrister was £12,700 per year"

"Meanwhile, new criminal barristers can earn as little as £9,000 once costs, including transport, are factored in, while some barristers say the time they spend preparing cases means their hourly earnings are below minimum wage."

This seems unreasonable and therefore good reason for the profession to strike as they have decided to do.
I didn't say they earned low salaries, that was the whole basis of my post, I said the low salaries mentioned in the piece are from their Pro Bono work, an intimation that they earn more money from other work.

Borchester

Quote from: Nalaar on August 22, 2022, 03:42:37 PM
Where did you get this information that the low salaries are caused by Pro-bono work?

from the article

"Meanwhile, new criminal barristers can earn as little as £9,000 once costs, including transport, are factored in, while some barristers say the time they spend preparing cases means their hourly earnings are below minimum wage."

This seems unreasonable and therefore good reason for the profession to strike as they have decided to do.

Algerie Francais !

Nalaar

Quote from: Nick on August 22, 2022, 02:45:37 PM
BTW, the paltry salaries mentioned in the piece is purely for their Pro Bono work, so kind of them to give their time for the good of the public. 😂

from the article

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on August 22, 2022, 02:45:37 PM
We how much you lefties love a good strike, well he's this for a strike!
Criminal Barristers, some who up to £800 an hour are going on strike over pay.
I do hope you're all going to get behind their plight, the poor mites need your support.
BTW, the paltry salaries mentioned in the piece is purely for their Pro Bono work, so kind of them to give their time for the good of the public. 😂

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62629776

To be fair, considering that the usual response on the internet when a particularly squalid crime is committed is to say, well, he has been arrested then he must be guilty, then it might be said that, loathsome as lawyers are, they do serve a purpose.

Plus, in my experience Barristers, builders and publicans head the bankruptcy lists.As soon as they get a couple of quid they piss it away and thereby contribute to the economy in general
Algerie Francais !

Nick

We know how much you lefties love a good strike, well he's this for a strike!
Criminal Barristers, some who up to £800 an hour are going on strike over pay.
I do hope you're all going to get behind their plight, the poor mites need your support.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62629776