What I would like to do, is live on a small holding, grow my own food and

Started by Borchester, August 23, 2022, 08:38:23 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Oh no the Tories have bled everything they can from the place and are doing a runner, it amused the hell out of me par for the course for sure, anybody who says different will be wearing a concrete overcoat.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on August 29, 2022, 10:09:04 AM
I'm going to be living in Goa, for at least 3 months of the year. I can rent a huge place including bills and food cheaper than heat a house in the U.K. 
Got a spare room?

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 25, 2022, 09:28:12 AM
I think we all have such thoughts now and again though most of us would settle for a bit of isolation on Earth .

A couple of years from retirement Im starting to look at posibilities of a bit of peace and quiet away from Londinistan . Its hard finding the right spot though when my filters also include , Pub within 100 yards and a decent golf course on my doorstep . The Mrs wants shops and of course a bus stop within a stone throw . Not to mention being close enough for the kids to visit

Its tough trying to be a hermit
I'm going to be living in Goa, for at least 3 months of the year. I can rent a huge place including bills and food cheaper than heat a house in the U.K.  
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on August 25, 2022, 08:59:47 AM
Sometimes I think what I'd most like to do is live in a dome on Mars, literally millions of miles away from anyone else.
I think we all have such thoughts now and again though most of us would settle for a bit of isolation on Earth .

A couple of years from retirement Im starting to look at posibilities of a bit of peace and quiet away from Londinistan . Its hard finding the right spot though when my filters also include , Pub within 100 yards and a decent golf course on my doorstep . The Mrs wants shops and of course a bus stop within a stone throw . Not to mention being close enough for the kids to visit 

Its tough trying to be a hermit 

srb7677

Sometimes I think what I'd most like to do is live in a dome on Mars, literally millions of miles away from anyone else.

Am having a bit of a "stop the world, I want to get off" moment. Long hours combined with needing to be there for friends in my time off because of bad stuff going on in their lives is denying me the space and time I need to fully relax and it is just starting to take it's toll. 

I also spent more time in heated argument here yesterday than is ideal when I had friends bombarding me with their issues at the same time. Cannot go anywhere near FB without that happening anymore and was attempting to distract myself from their constant woes by debating here, when what I perhaps really should have done is log off the internet completely and find something undemanding on TV to mong at.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

HDQQ

Funny, but I always seem to have much greater success doing DIY for other people than I do on my own projects.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

srb7677

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on August 24, 2022, 09:23:46 PM
Blimey just read this again,you made me blush you hussy :-[
:D
Naughty!  Butt Kick  He was tall, the kids called him big Dave, with a hook nose but pleasant blue eyes if I remember. My kids were very little and he terrified them initially. There was I, usually filthy, so hardly delectable and anyway he was a relative of my husband and would have ended up under a concrete base if he tried anything. He was a good laugh and was very generous with the building tips and short cuts. I learned a lot and it stood me in good stead later.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on August 24, 2022, 09:34:10 AM
The builder that taught me to plaster (I mated for him for 3 months when he was doing up an old house of ours) almost choked when after his long explanation and demonstration I observed that it was just like icing a cake.  Dancing
Blimey just read this again,you made me blush you hussy :-[
:D
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on August 23, 2022, 09:20:04 PM
I detest plumbing,everything else I am happy to do.
Indeed , I am pretty competent in most building /DIY challenges and an expert in some . Having a brother five minutes away who is a decent plumber / heating engineer  has always made messing about with pipes and water sometjing someone else can do for the price of a pint . 

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on August 24, 2022, 01:37:02 PM
You are a good lass Toots, but do you have to be so positive?
Well with threads so full of negativity here someone has to or we will all end up in the asylum! What is it they also say? No pain no gain! I'd love to read the potential blog or you could apply to that TV prog where 'ordinary folk' rebuild wrecks. They always seem to find the dosh. Just think what the finished value might be! You could afford a country mansion and keep the hovel for a housekeeper.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on August 24, 2022, 12:45:37 PM
Don't dream just do it - nothing is worse than indecision. Don't worry about the money you have to speculate to accumulate!  Dancing Dancing

You are a good lass Toots, but do you have to be so positive?
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on August 24, 2022, 12:24:29 PM
Not with me Toots.

When it comes to plastering I am the world's worse. So I just use plasterboard and hide the joins with gauze and cheap and cheerful prints
That is plan B.

I would like to buy the downstairs flat, convert our loft, put in stairlifts and walk in showers and then soundproof the entire house. I reckon that would cost about £1.5 millions. And then maybe another million which shouldyield about £15,000 in interest to cover heating and council tax and such.

And that should see me content :)

Oops, I nearly forgot.

A music room for Herself with soundproofing fit to beat the band. She is learning to play the piano and there is only so much of Mozart's Sonata in C K330 a man can take
Don't dream just do it - nothing is worse than indecision. Don't worry about the money you have to speculate to accumulate!  Dancing Dancing

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on August 24, 2022, 09:34:10 AM
The builder that taught me to plaster (I mated for him for 3 months when he was doing up an old house of ours) almost choked when after his long explanation and demonstration I observed that it was just like icing a cake.  Dancing

Not with me Toots.

When it comes to plastering I am the world's worse. So I just use plasterboard and hide the joins with gauze and cheap and cheerful prints
Quote from: srb7677 on August 24, 2022, 11:32:55 AM
Indeed. Mine would include buying my flat as a Plymouth  base, buying a detached house in a nice rural area with front and back garden and a garage, cleaner to do all the housework, gardener to cut the grass and take care of the gardening, a few million in the bank and no need to work anymore.

Never gonna happen without a big lottery win and I have more chance of being struck by lightning.

But assuming that never happens, I do like the idea of having an allotment when I retire so I can grow my own stuff when I have the spare time for it.

That is plan B.

I would like to buy the downstairs flat, convert our loft, put in stairlifts and walk in showers and then soundproof the entire house. I reckon that would cost about £1.5 millions. And then maybe another million which shouldyield about £15,000 in interest to cover heating and council tax and such.

And that should see me content :)

Oops, I nearly forgot.

A music room for Herself with soundproofing fit to beat the band. She is learning to play the piano and there is only so much of Mozart's Sonata in C K330 a man can take
Algerie Francais !