Typical household energy bill to rise to £3,549

Started by Borchester, August 26, 2022, 01:24:20 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on August 30, 2022, 07:51:44 PM
I am not entirely sure that you can measure gas supplies in terms of pipe thread Nick, although considering the times my mum feed foreign coins into the meter, who can tell?
:)
No, absolutely. The point I was making is that you can't measure it in anything except volume. BTU'S, Therms or KWhr are just imaginary units when it comes to gas. I'd could open up my gas supply to the atmosphere for a week and produce almost no energy apart from a minuscule amount of heat generated through friction in the pipe. Even if I did use it in the conventional why, IE burn it, it still wouldn't translate to a uniform measure of energy due to the efficiency of my boiler. So I'm in agreement with SW, it's just a made up form of quantifying your usage. Electricity on the other hand is very different, if I open up the end of a piece of T&E to atmosphere it does nothing, connect it across a resistive material and Ohms law tells me exactly what I'm using. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on August 30, 2022, 06:18:13 PM
BSP and Whitworth next Mr B? 😂
I am not entirely sure that you can measure gas supplies in terms of pipe thread Nick, although considering the times my mum feed foreign coins into the meter, who can tell?
:)
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on August 30, 2022, 05:49:12 PM
Well true, but gas is also measured in equally real units such as BTUs, Cubic feet, Therms and that funny, foreign stuff that uses centigrade.

Personally, I prefer horsepower because it reminds me of my daughter when she was learning to ride. Both were based on very small horses.
BSP and Whitworth next Mr B? 😂 

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on August 30, 2022, 04:06:17 PM
True but gas is artificially converted to watts to make understanding bills easier.

Well true, but gas is also measured in equally real units such as BTUs, Cubic feet, Therms and that funny, foreign stuff that uses centigrade.

Personally, I prefer horsepower because it reminds me of my daughter when she was learning to ride. Both were based on very small horses.
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: patman post on August 30, 2022, 03:25:00 PM

A kWh is the standard unit used by energy suppliers to calculate your gas and electricity bill. One unit refers to the use of 1000 Watts over one hour.

https://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/guides/uswitch-guide-to-kwh/
True but gas is artificially converted to watts to make understanding bills easier. 

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 29, 2022, 08:52:47 PM
Fake news bollocks from T**** on twitter repeated by europhiles without even reading the text . For a start a mega watt is an electric measurement .

A kWh is the standard unit used by energy suppliers to calculate your gas and electricity bill. One unit refers to the use of 1000 Watts over one hour.

https://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/guides/uswitch-guide-to-kwh/
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 29, 2022, 08:52:47 PM
Fake news bollocks from T**** on twitter repeated by europhiles without even reading the text . For a start a mega watt is an electric measurement .

In fact the EU doesnt even have a price cap on gas which means without action theres will sail north past ours come the winter

Rising gas and electricity bills: How does the UK compare with Europe? | Euronews
Yes we are paying more than most but nothing like the above post
Already happened but let's not spoil our wee friends story. 

cromwell

Quote from: Sampanviking on August 29, 2022, 06:35:07 PM
More than one way to decorate a lamp post. This is how your new best friends in the Ukraine like to do it.
The victims are usually caught speaking Russian or members of other minorities such as Roma
This has been going on since the beginning of the campaign and a plethora of images and videos are in the public domain all released through avowed Ukrainian nationalist social media accounts
I have no gripe with ordinary Russian people but your old friends like Vlad are the aggressor here,were  I to post pictures as you have now showing the Russians in a poor light you'd dismiss it as lies,fake and propaganda.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: Sean on August 29, 2022, 06:31:28 PM
Clearly we need Keir as UK Prime minister , and a Labour Government .

Fake news bollocks from twats on twitter repeated by europhiles without even reading the text . For a start a mega watt is an electric measurement .

In fact the EU doesnt even have a price cap on gas which means without action theres will sail north past ours come the winter 

Rising gas and electricity bills: How does the UK compare with Europe? | Euronews
Yes we are paying more than most but nothing like the above post 

Sean

QuoteHOW DOES THE UK COMPARE WITH EU NEIGHBORS?
Energy prices are rising in other European countries, too, but people in some countries have not seen the same level of rocketing bills as the U.K.
In France, gas prices are frozen at October 2021 levels, and the freeze has been extended until the end of the year following a government decree announced in June. Low- and middle-income households also receive 100 euros to buy gas and electricity.
In Germany, average electricity prices for households rose up to 38% over the past year. A new levy to prop up energy companies buying more expensive natural gas would add several hundred euros for an average household per year. But the government is temporarily lowering taxes on natural gas from 19% to 7% to offset those costs and has approved one-off cash subsidies.
Italy also has seen increasing calls for an energy price cap amid parliamentary election campaigns. This month, the government earmarked 8.4 billion euros to help low-income households and businesses offset the increase in energy costs, following relief it previously approved
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-u-k-energy-bills-are-rising-faster-than-in-the-rest-of-europe-01661422130

Sean

QuoteEven before today's hike was announced, UK households faced some of the highest prices in Europe -- nearly double France. Only the Czech Republic was higher than the UK, which was followed by Italy and Estonia.

Energy prices are growing in every European country, though the fallout for people is not the same.
This is largely due to governments stepping in to try and shield households from the seemingly never-ending surge in gas and electricity prices.
The UK -- waiting to know who its next prime minister will be -- has been criticised for not doing enough to help people cope with the price increases.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/08/26/soaring-energy-prices-how-does-the-uk-compare-with-europe

Not only are we in the UK paying the highest prices in Europe for energy , our shambolic Tory government is doing the least to help. This of course is reflected in the polls , where 68.2% of voters wont vote tory. Labour are a mere step away from power , and returning our country to normality .The upcoming winter will put the final nail in the Conservative coffin. Liz Truss?:D

Nick

Quote from: Sean on August 29, 2022, 06:31:28 PM

Great propaganda, if only it was true. 
EU gas prices hit record high of 343€ per megawatt, that's £30 higher than your figure for the U.K.  Quick let's join the EU!!

https://www.ft.com/content/ef02dd38-7cc6-4c13-914e-e2b6b2b8ee9d

Sampanviking

Quote from: cromwell on August 29, 2022, 10:21:30 AM
And just for you Bazthe implication is quite clear.
More than one way to decorate a lamp post. This is how your new best friends in the Ukraine like to do it.
The victims are usually caught speaking Russian or members of other minorities such as Roma
This has been going on since the beginning of the campaign and a plethora of images and videos are in the public domain all released through avowed Ukrainian nationalist social media accounts

Sean