The Last Time

Started by Nalaar, August 26, 2022, 05:12:37 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

I think the only time I ever gave a moment's thought to things of this nature was doing stuff like taking the kids / grand daughter to whichever school etc they were going to for the last time.

In terms of death, I knew dad would be dead after the morphine dose and I knew mum would be dead thanks to the pathway before I saw them again, buts that just the way it is.

Having woken in resus or the back of an ambulance more than once, it's not something I really bother about. If it happens, there's not a lot you can do.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on August 26, 2022, 05:12:37 PM
I've been thinking a little about things that we do for the last time. Of course being mortal there will be a time when we have done everything for the last time, but I'm most interested in things we have done for the last time, with no intention, knowledge, or even desire of it.

Some of these are innocuous routines, while others are important life events.

How many parents (and children) are aware that the last bedtime book they read to their child will be their last?
How many friendships have drifted apart for no discernable reason, and even gone past the point of a final meeting without the friend's knowledge?
How many hobbies have been undertaken for the final time, and not until years later does the person realise it was so?

From this consider in your own life, did you notice when you did things for the last time? Would you feel better or worse in knowing that it was?
It's when it's a conscious decision to do something for the last time that is the test and the most important.  Unplanned last times are simply a part of living and moving forward. The last cigarette, the last drink of alcohol, the last drug, the last time smacking a child or bullying someone. The last time of breaking the speed limit, stealing, lying, cheating, insisting we are right against all opposition, these are important choices and they are too many to count. It's these decisions that build character and inner strength. If we were to dwell upon the unplanned last times we would possibly be miserable most of the time.

cromwell

Quote from: Nalaar on August 26, 2022, 05:12:37 PM
I've been thinking a little about things that we do for the last time. Of course being mortal there will be a time when we have done everything for the last time, but I'm most interested in things we have done for the last time, with no intention, knowledge, or even desire of it.

How many parents (and children) are aware that the last bedtime book they read to their child will be their last?
How many friendships have drifted apart for no discernable reason, and even gone past the point of a final meeting without the friend's knowledge?
How many hobbies have been undertaken for the final time, and not until years later does the person realise it was so?

From this consider in your own life, did you notice when you did things for the last time? Would you feel better or worse in knowing that it was?
No because unless you were to be put to death by execution at an appointed time none of us know we may by age or physical illness have a rough idea.....there is of course suicide..
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nalaar

How many parents (and children) are aware that the last bedtime book they read to their child will be their last?

Don't believe everything you think.